Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I'm trying to help DD8 choose between the academic gifted school and the creative gifted school. She can stay at the accelerated cluster magnet next year or switch to the creative art magnet. The accelerated cluster has been a good fit academically but she's also passionate about creative writing and it would be great for her to be with other kids who share that. The academic gifted school required testing above 95% for admittance and the creative gifted school had highly competitive auditions. It's a good choice to have to make but I keep second guessing which opportunity she should pass up. Advice?

How would you rate/describe the academics at the Creative school?

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Probably higher than the well-regarded neighborhood school that she was at before but not as high as the academic magnet. I'm guessing I'd be back to doing more advocating/supplementing/frustration in order to get her an appropriate academic challenge and it's been nice not to have to do that this year. I'm planning to contact the creative school and ask more about how it's worked with other kids who have made the switch.

J
    J
    For a girl I would choose the academic gifted school in a heartbeat.

If I had a son who was gay I would consider an arts school because it would probably be a safer environment for him. But that would be a compromise.

In theory the creative school sounds great, but my experiences with local "artsy" types have led me to conclude that a school populated by them and run by them would be weak academically and probably not all that great artistically.

I hope some real artists respond to this thread. I think those are the people you need to talk to about this.

C
    C
    Is it principally you, or she, who feel it would be great for her to have other kids around who were into creative writing? IOW, to what extent is she conscious of that as a lack? And what proportion of the activity at the creative school concerns writing, which is rather different from some other creative activities? (That difference can be seen two ways - from a glass half full perspective, I wouldn't expect an enthusiasm for creative writing to be out of place at an academic school, here at least; from a glass half empty perspective, it would be a pity if someone interested in creative writing moved and found she was still an odd one out as all her new friends were into painting and sculpture.)

In passing I'm truly shocked that anyone would think a child's sexuality should be a deciding factor in a choice of school! Is homophobia really that prevalent a problem in American schools?!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Ill bet she gets more creative writng instruction and peers at the academic school. Do both schools have MAP testing?
    Worst case senario at the Gifted arts school? If the teachers praise the artistic but less competent writers...I'm not saying this well but I hope you get the picture.

And yes there is plenty of homophobia in some US schools. Of course so much depends on the individual childs inner wealth.
    G

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    She has picked up on the fact that her classmates at the academic gifted school don't share her same passion for writing. She did a favorite hobby poll as part of a math project and realized she was the only one that chose writing.

I think the creative school has 6 children per grade in each of the 9 majors - creative writing, drama, ballet, contemporary dance, piano, visual art, band orchestra.
    Both have MAP testing and she is getting exposed to the arts extras at the academic gifted school even though the music/dance stuff isn't her thing.

I'm thinking we'd have to look at some kind of grade skip/subject acceleration at the creative school in order to keep her challenged academically. If she stays at the academic gifted school I'll ask to have her GIEP updated to include the creative writing. They recently started a block on poetry and it's really clicked with her.

I can see her thriving at both places for different reasons and don't see that keeping her at the academic school will kill her creativity. That would be the worst case scenario.

Can you shadow at the creative school? Let her get a taste of it and see what she thinks? What does she think about moving?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I sort of see creative writing as the kind of different path of talent development , violin or tennis. I even distrust writting programs at the college level. I don't have firsthand experience, but imagine that constant exposure to peers may not be good for the developing writer.

I would want Summer programs. Study of additional languages perhaps latin and greek. Mentorships. A solid academic backround including the study of literature andlots of chances to develop social relationships seem to be the possible things I would want around my child if I thought he was a budding creative writer. I would want my child to know language and know himself.

I guess Id look at the MAP scores of the kids at the Arts school Inks....I think it is ok for her to yearn for more writing peers and get that afterschool and in the summer. To me the academic needs have to stay front and center.

I hope that is helpful. I wish I had research rather than gut reaction here but .....
    Love and more love
    Grinity

Srry cell phone double posted
    Love and more love
    Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 02/25/11 08:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM