Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: inky Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 02:35 AM
I'm trying to help DD8 choose between the academic gifted school and the creative gifted school. She can stay at the accelerated cluster magnet next year or switch to the creative art magnet. The accelerated cluster has been a good fit academically but she's also passionate about creative writing and it would be great for her to be with other kids who share that. The academic gifted school required testing above 95% for admittance and the creative gifted school had highly competitive auditions. It's a good choice to have to make but I keep second guessing which opportunity she should pass up. Advice?
Posted By: herenow Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 03:36 AM
How would you rate/describe the academics at the Creative school?
Posted By: inky Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 04:16 AM
Probably higher than the well-regarded neighborhood school that she was at before but not as high as the academic magnet. I'm guessing I'd be back to doing more advocating/supplementing/frustration in order to get her an appropriate academic challenge and it's been nice not to have to do that this year. I'm planning to contact the creative school and ask more about how it's worked with other kids who have made the switch.
For a girl I would choose the academic gifted school in a heartbeat.

If I had a son who was gay I would consider an arts school because it would probably be a safer environment for him. But that would be a compromise.

In theory the creative school sounds great, but my experiences with local "artsy" types have led me to conclude that a school populated by them and run by them would be weak academically and probably not all that great artistically.

I hope some real artists respond to this thread. I think those are the people you need to talk to about this.

Is it principally you, or she, who feel it would be great for her to have other kids around who were into creative writing? IOW, to what extent is she conscious of that as a lack? And what proportion of the activity at the creative school concerns writing, which is rather different from some other creative activities? (That difference can be seen two ways - from a glass half full perspective, I wouldn't expect an enthusiasm for creative writing to be out of place at an academic school, here at least; from a glass half empty perspective, it would be a pity if someone interested in creative writing moved and found she was still an odd one out as all her new friends were into painting and sculpture.)

In passing I'm truly shocked that anyone would think a child's sexuality should be a deciding factor in a choice of school! Is homophobia really that prevalent a problem in American schools?!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 02:21 PM
Ill bet she gets more creative writng instruction and peers at the academic school. Do both schools have MAP testing?
Worst case senario at the Gifted arts school? If the teachers praise the artistic but less competent writers...I'm not saying this well but I hope you get the picture.

And yes there is plenty of homophobia in some US schools. Of course so much depends on the individual childs inner wealth.
G
Posted By: inky Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 03:18 PM
She has picked up on the fact that her classmates at the academic gifted school don't share her same passion for writing. She did a favorite hobby poll as part of a math project and realized she was the only one that chose writing.

I think the creative school has 6 children per grade in each of the 9 majors - creative writing, drama, ballet, contemporary dance, piano, visual art, band orchestra.
Both have MAP testing and she is getting exposed to the arts extras at the academic gifted school even though the music/dance stuff isn't her thing.

I'm thinking we'd have to look at some kind of grade skip/subject acceleration at the creative school in order to keep her challenged academically. If she stays at the academic gifted school I'll ask to have her GIEP updated to include the creative writing. They recently started a block on poetry and it's really clicked with her.

I can see her thriving at both places for different reasons and don't see that keeping her at the academic school will kill her creativity. That would be the worst case scenario.
Can you shadow at the creative school? Let her get a taste of it and see what she thinks? What does she think about moving?
Posted By: Grinity Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 05:46 PM
I sort of see creative writing as the kind of different path of talent development , violin or tennis. I even distrust writting programs at the college level. I don't have firsthand experience, but imagine that constant exposure to peers may not be good for the developing writer.

I would want Summer programs. Study of additional languages perhaps latin and greek. Mentorships. A solid academic backround including the study of literature andlots of chances to develop social relationships seem to be the possible things I would want around my child if I thought he was a budding creative writer. I would want my child to know language and know himself.

I guess Id look at the MAP scores of the kids at the Arts school Inks....I think it is ok for her to yearn for more writing peers and get that afterschool and in the summer. To me the academic needs have to stay front and center.

I hope that is helpful. I wish I had research rather than gut reaction here but .....
Love and more love
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 05:53 PM

Srry cell phone double posted
Love and more love
Grinity
Posted By: jesse Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/25/11 07:39 PM
Hi inky,
Stay with the current school, the one that you haven't had to advocate for more challenging work this past year.

Don't go to the creative arts one. Unless your DD is into ALL the different aspects of art right now and *you* want her immersed in it, in that way...

For the creative writing aspect, get a tutor, go to writing programs, summer programs ... what Grinity said above. Just my thoughts on that though.

Best of luck

Posted By: herenow Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/26/11 04:46 AM
My dd13 loves creative writing. She also auditioned for the Creative School in our area. But when push came to shove, looking at high school, we were too nervous to take a risk with her transcript. I know that sounds ridiculous, but the stakes are much higher by high school. If it is at all attractive, I suggest you think about the Creative School for your dc's younger years. As long as the academics are challenging "enough" or if you can enhance them without too much trouble, I think a couple/few years out of the mainstream may be a wonderful way to fill out a child's toolbox. It might also be an option for middle school, when a child is looking for "people like them.."
Posted By: inky Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/28/11 04:53 PM
Thank you for all the thoughtful advice. I'm processing it and will get more information from the schools this week. I came across this and realize why it's been so hard to decide...she's a mix of all three:
http://www.bertiekingore.com/high-gt-create.htm

The advice to keep her at the academic school sounds good when I think of that side of her and vice-versa when I think of her creative side. I've also realized the friends she really clicks with also have a strong creative side. Her best friend was accepted and will go to the creative school while some other close friends are on the waiting list. On the other hand, I think she's susceptible to learned underachievement and the academic school will help her avoid that trap. Not sure how the creative school would play into that and that's my main reservation with switching. What to do, what to do... crazy
Posted By: jesse Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 02/28/11 05:52 PM
Inky,
That is such a tough choice!
Best wishes!!

ps. Just read that link
http://www.bertiekingore.com/high-gt-create.htm
Excellent -- it really explains a lot!! My kid is good in math, science, and creative arts -- so, I do know where you're coming from.

Really liked the description "Overflows with ideas--many of which will never be developed."

Posted By: inky Re: Choice between two good "Gifted" options - 03/12/11 04:37 PM
DD8 chose to stay at the academic school instead of the creative one. Thanks again for helping us weigh the pros and cons.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum