Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Dan Peters (who wrote Make Your Worrier a Warrior, a well-respected book for parents about anxiety), has now written From Worrier to Warrior: A Guide to Conquering Your Fears, aimed at kids 9-16 who suffer from anxiety. I picked it up from the library this morning, and read about half of it over lunch. Wow! This is exactly what my DD needs, and I expect to be buying a copy this month, although I'll let her confirm that before I do it.

He starts by explaining the fight-or-flight response, and how the physical symptoms of worry are useful as your body prepares itself to fight. Then he talks about the various kinds of thinking errors that feed anxiety, and finally talks about self-calming strategies and about practicing them. About the only thing I could ask for is that I didn't see instruction on how to pronounce "amygdala" (although I might have missed it - I was skimming a bit).

Highly recommended. (I see that Amazon is sold out, but it usually doesn't take them long to acquire more.)

C
    C
    SENG has a webinar with Dan Peters on March 18th. I was considering signing up and now I'll be sure to pick up the book, as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

K
    K
    I just got both of his Worrier/Warrior books, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. Glad to hear they're worth the read; they'll be next on my list!

N
    N
    Interesting. I might see about getting it from the library first. I'm a bit puzzled about the fact that two out of the three reviews that each book has are the same ones, by the same people, on the same day. And both books have the same cover. But it's always worth a shot! smile

Oh, and "uh-MIG-duh-luh".

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Yeah, I know how to pronounce it, but I also know that my DD would be so distracted by worrying about that that she wouldn't be able to focus on the book about worrying! smile Fortunately, I can just tell her when I give her the book.

I
    I
    The book is also available through Great Potential Press. Link in this old post.

How is there not an e-book of this?

~amy
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    I also know that my DD would be so distracted by worrying about that that she wouldn't be able to focus on the book about worrying! smile

Yes, because that would be the most important bit. I know how that goes! laugh

S
    S
    I know it says pre teens and teens...but can someone look at it and tell me if my 14 year old would be insulted, does it treat them respectfully like young adults with a worry problem, or is it cartoony trying hard to be funny where he would think it was beneath him.

Considering getting it and leaving it in his room.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I
    I
    can someone look at it and tell me if my 14 year old would be insulted, does it treat them respectfully like young adults with a worry problem, or is it cartoony trying hard to be funny where he would think it was beneath him...
    The two books are nearly identical with subtle changes in addressing the parent or the teen as the audience. The book consists of a wide variety of real-life stories told as personal vignettes, and others told with two main characters or entities, one of which is "The Worry Monster" and the other being a sample person/patient/case (including one named "Patrick". Thought I'd mention that as today is St. Paddy's Day). The reader engages in examining the interactions in the stories, which are carefully analyzed by the author with helpful tips provided. With regard to illustrations, there are occasional simple half-page line drawings, plus there are doodles of TWM in the margins which IMO help keep the tone friendly and hold reader interest. You may wish to use the Amazon look inside feature to get a feel for the approach utilized by the book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM