Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #128239 04/26/12 07:25 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    We had ds5's IEP meeting this morning and it went really, really well. I have heard so many horror stories that each time one of these goes well I am surprised!
    I wanted to mention something I did on a whim that really worked out in our favor. Since this was for a new school that he will be attending in the Fall, I wanted them to get to know ds and to have something they could refer to as they were selecting teachers/placing students.
    I made a brochure for him in MS Publisher. It had his picture, full name and birth date on the cover. Inside I listed his major personality traits and learning style information. I then added the general type of personality traits he would do well with in a teacher. The next section was about his diagnosis, information about the types of accommodations he would need to thrive, information on how we have learned it is best to interact with ds (nothing revolutionary...make eye contact when you talk to him, use positive words, etc.) and on the back I included more photos and that chart that has been floating around Pinterest about how to care for introverts.

We had 5 representatives from his educational team there and they all loved it. Everyone wanted a copy. The principal said she was so glad to have all of the information she needed in one place. She made a copy for his personal file to have on hand for him.

It was simple to make and print and it really made an impact. Especially since only one of these five people actually knew my son. I think the pictures did a good job of making him real and not just an IEP. I wanted them to know what a joy my ds at the same time they were learning about his challenges.

Our district isn't perfect but I came away from the meeting really feeling like everyone there was entirely committed to my son's education. Like it wasn't going to be an uphill battle of fighting tooth and nail for everything he needs. Such a relief!

What a fantastic idea! Go, you!!! I'm so glad it helped with the IEP meeting.

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    M
    M
    That was a wonderful idea and you deserve so much credit for the meeting going well. I think that the brochure started them out in a great place: this is a real, engaging and fun kid, with intelligent, invested, caring parents. Who can not respond well to that?!

I also think that teachers are more likely to read a colorful brochure than to take the time to get through a long, pedantic email (my usual style, lol!). YAY!!

That is a fantastic idea! I always take a picture of DD and a written "run down" of her educational path...it is usually met with a smile and an "eyeroll" sort of attitude. Perhaps I will try your idea....if you don't mind? Thank you so much!!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    That is a fantastic idea! I always take a picture of DD and a written "run down" of her educational path...it is usually met with a smile and an "eyeroll" sort of attitude. Perhaps I will try your idea....if you don't mind? Thank you so much!!

Thanks and YES! DO! If it helps even one more child I will be so happy!
    Suzanne

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by momtofour
    That was a wonderful idea and you deserve so much credit for the meeting going well. I think that the brochure started them out in a great place: this is a real, engaging and fun kid, with intelligent, invested, caring parents. Who can not respond well to that?!

I also think that teachers are more likely to read a colorful brochure than to take the time to get through a long, pedantic email (my usual style, lol!). YAY!!

Thanks! What a sweet thing to say!

J
    J
    I do something like that also. I make a cover page and include cute photos of my son wearing his hearing aid prominently. I've also provided medical papers that support his condition and summarize things for them.
    It's useful to humanize your child since some of them also may not really know who he is.
    I also make muffins and bring that with fruit!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    The muffins are a nice touch! Who doesn't like a snack? smile

I am so relieved it is over and that it went well. It is so wonderful to know that we're all on the same page with ds's education!

I
    I
    Hi I found this post as I am searching for help in creating in IEP for my son. This is my very first time having time navigating the world of IEP and I need help as am overwhelmed and I have no idea what I am doing. I love this idea of a brochure ... I was wondering is there a way I could see a copy of it with the personal info and pics blocked out? May I PM you? Or you could post a sanitized version of it. Thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM