Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    SAHM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I realize this is not a typical question for this forum and my little guy hasn't been tested and may not be gifted but I wanted to ask this here because it seems that many kids here haven't followed typical milestones... Particularly when related to sleeping and activity levels...

When did your kids drop their last nap? How much did they usually sleep between the ages of 2 and three?

I really think my 2.25 year old might be trying to drop his nap or transition to quiet time.

M
    M
    DD11 - stopped napping at 22 months, slept around 11 hours per day between two and three

DD9 - stopped napping at 17 months (way before I was ready), slept around 10 hours per day between two and three

H
    H
    DS6 stopped napping at 18 months and like MM above only slept 10 hrs a day at 2. I was SO jealous of my friends with kids who actually slept!

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    DS6 literally slept from 8pm to 6am every night from three weeks old until now. He had two two hour naps until two years old, and down to one a day until three years and a half years old.

My DS11 months, has slept from 10am until 7am every night since two weeks old, with two two hour naps.

DS1 dropped the nap at 2.5, after 6-9 months of DESPERATE BATTLES and sleeping 5-6 hrs at night. He slept 10 hrs/night after I finally let him drop it.

DS2 is currently 14 mos, and takes a 1 hr nap and 10 hrs at night. So, I don't have a direct answer there, but he's on roughly the same course as the older one.

I actually do know some kids who kept napping till they turned three! I didn't realize that until recently, I was always wondering why people wanted to meet up so EARLY... oops.

But I think there's a pretty common second pattern where kids drop it right around 2. Not that I haven't heard even earlier, or everything in between wink

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    P
    P
    Mine dropped his at around 18 months, and from one year to 18 months was not a good napper. Sleeps about nine to ten hours most nights since. Now five. Will have longer sleeping bouts during growth spurts where he might get 12 - 13 hours out of him, but usually only lasts 1-2 weeks.

Q
    qxp Offline
    Q
    My HG+ son napped until 5yo. He has always needed lots of sleep. My other friends with HG+ kids also need a lot of sleep. They may just be outliers of course.

Both my kids were pretty much napless by 18 months. The doc said some kids just need less sleep. It was a bummer to lose that quiet time in the afternoon but at least we were free to go out and do things without planning the day around naptime.

U
    U
    DD napped till late 4. DS dropped his at...hmm, late 2? Maybe he was early 3. She has high sleep needs--at just 9, she goes to bed at 8/8:15 and wakes up at 6:30 or 7. DS is almost 5 and goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up at 6:30, sometimes 6. So yeah, they sometimes get the same amount of sleep.

A
    A
    All three of my kids stopped napping altogether by 2; my oldest was around 15 months. They needed 6-7 hours of sleep at night.

I needed rest from them during the day, so they were required to have quiet time in their rooms until they were about 4 1/2. They also went to bed at nine until they started high school. They didn't go to sleep - they just went to their rooms and made very little noise so as not to annoy us. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM