Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: SAHM young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/30/13 11:12 PM
I realize this is not a typical question for this forum and my little guy hasn't been tested and may not be gifted but I wanted to ask this here because it seems that many kids here haven't followed typical milestones... Particularly when related to sleeping and activity levels...

When did your kids drop their last nap? How much did they usually sleep between the ages of 2 and three?

I really think my 2.25 year old might be trying to drop his nap or transition to quiet time.
Posted By: MidwestMom Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/30/13 11:24 PM
DD11 - stopped napping at 22 months, slept around 11 hours per day between two and three

DD9 - stopped napping at 17 months (way before I was ready), slept around 10 hours per day between two and three
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/30/13 11:37 PM
DS6 stopped napping at 18 months and like MM above only slept 10 hrs a day at 2. I was SO jealous of my friends with kids who actually slept!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 12:19 AM
DS6 literally slept from 8pm to 6am every night from three weeks old until now. He had two two hour naps until two years old, and down to one a day until three years and a half years old.

My DS11 months, has slept from 10am until 7am every night since two weeks old, with two two hour naps.
Posted By: Michaela Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 12:36 AM
DS1 dropped the nap at 2.5, after 6-9 months of DESPERATE BATTLES and sleeping 5-6 hrs at night. He slept 10 hrs/night after I finally let him drop it.

DS2 is currently 14 mos, and takes a 1 hr nap and 10 hrs at night. So, I don't have a direct answer there, but he's on roughly the same course as the older one.

I actually do know some kids who kept napping till they turned three! I didn't realize that until recently, I was always wondering why people wanted to meet up so EARLY... oops.

But I think there's a pretty common second pattern where kids drop it right around 2. Not that I haven't heard even earlier, or everything in between wink

-Mich
Posted By: phey Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 01:28 AM
Mine dropped his at around 18 months, and from one year to 18 months was not a good napper. Sleeps about nine to ten hours most nights since. Now five. Will have longer sleeping bouts during growth spurts where he might get 12 - 13 hours out of him, but usually only lasts 1-2 weeks.
Posted By: qxp Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 02:44 AM
My HG+ son napped until 5yo. He has always needed lots of sleep. My other friends with HG+ kids also need a lot of sleep. They may just be outliers of course.
Posted By: W'sMama Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 02:54 AM
Both my kids were pretty much napless by 18 months. The doc said some kids just need less sleep. It was a bummer to lose that quiet time in the afternoon but at least we were free to go out and do things without planning the day around naptime.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 04:00 AM
DD napped till late 4. DS dropped his at...hmm, late 2? Maybe he was early 3. She has high sleep needs--at just 9, she goes to bed at 8/8:15 and wakes up at 6:30 or 7. DS is almost 5 and goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up at 6:30, sometimes 6. So yeah, they sometimes get the same amount of sleep.
Posted By: ABQMom Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 04:50 AM
All three of my kids stopped napping altogether by 2; my oldest was around 15 months. They needed 6-7 hours of sleep at night.

I needed rest from them during the day, so they were required to have quiet time in their rooms until they were about 4 1/2. They also went to bed at nine until they started high school. They didn't go to sleep - they just went to their rooms and made very little noise so as not to annoy us. smile
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 05:29 AM
Hmmmm. Complicated.

DD has never been what I'd call a "good sleeper." Some of that is medically explainable, but not all.

When she was well:

Napped until about 30 months-- but only to a total of about 9-10 hours of sleep every 24, which was only about an hour less than she'd ever done. We did sometime enforce "quiet" time, which is a self-defense mechanism when you have a kid that sleeps this little.

We never had a time when she did two naps. I was very confused when I'd read or hear about that. LOL.

For many years, her sleep needs drifted gradually lower-- until she hit a low at about 12yo of around 7 hrs nightly.

She's now into that teenaged-zombie mode where they'll sleep for 10-11 hours. Mostly, we try to make sure that she gets a solid 8 hours and call it good (which it seems to be).
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by qxp
My HG+ son napped until 5yo. He has always needed lots of sleep. My other friends with HG+ kids also need a lot of sleep. They may just be outliers of course.

I'm so glad to hear someone else say this. DD8 (who is a DYS) napped up until the week before she started kindergarten, at 5.5 years old. DS4 still naps, sometimes for 3-4 hours a day.

Which is not to say that your child might not be ready to give it up. Good luck if you have him in daycare, because they may not be able to handle it at all.
Posted By: puffin Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 06:25 AM
Ds5.5 most days until about 4, occasionally until about 4.5. Until he was about four he could sleep 3 hours until 4 then go back to bed at 6.30 then sleep until 5.30 to 6.30 the next morning. He still is often asleep by 7 and sleeps 11 to 12 hours a day. I don't remember when he dropped his morning sleep. Ds3.5 dropped his morning sleep about one and his other mostly by 2. On the rare occasion he slept he would be awake until 10.30 or 11. He is quite happy on 10 hours sleep.
Posted By: SAHM Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 06:56 AM
Thanks so much to everyone who posted. This has been really interesting to read. I know that all kids are individuals. Just comforting to read other experiences. If he naps, he is up until 11+ so maybe I should just try quiet time. I enjoy the nap, quiet time even if he doesn't. :-)
Posted By: donnapt Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 11:09 AM
I stopped naps with my youngest at 18 months because she was up until 11pm or 12am if she napped...even if she just fell asleep in the car. Even with a nap, she would sing to herself until 10pm most nights. She always woke with the sun at that age, too. She seemed to just need less sleep than the rest of us.

She is 10yo now and still is a night owl but she will sleep until 8am or so most days.
Posted By: Dude Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 02:35 PM
DD8 stopped somewhere in the 2-3 range, and slept about 11 hours a night then. We didn't have a schedule, because too many factors might influence her need that would be beyond our control... whether she fell asleep in the car earlier, the quality of her sleep the night before, level of activity, health issues, etc. Anytime we'd notice a sharp deterioration in her behavior, that was a signal she was ready to nap.

Along the way, she got to be pretty good at self-regulating. She began announcing to us that she was ready to take a nap, at around six months of age, with a made-up word.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 02:49 PM
I'm an evangelist about this, I know, but protect sleep as much as you can. The literature on its importance is absolutely stunning. I know there seems to evidence that gifted kids may need less, but I'm not personally all that convinced of that--I think they just work harder to stay awake, in many cases.

Also, many people don't know this, but teens need at least 9 and hopefully 10 hours a night or so per the literature. Sleep needs increase at that age, and sleep cycle shifts.
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 03:28 PM
Literature and research on sleep is quite confident in speaking about the middle cluster; actually much research into children has that particular skew. We're in the game here with outliers in the first place and research into gifted sleep patterns shows a much flatter distribution of sleep needed. One reference places about 20% of gifted kids needing significantly more sleep and about 20% needing significantly less sleep.

Anecdotally it sounds fine to say that kids keep themselves up by dint of will, but my parents' experience ran counter to that. I was sleeping 5-6 hours a night by age 9. If I went to sleep at 9pm, I was awake at 3 in the morning. I spent a lot of my childhood mornings playing for a couple or more hours while everyone else slept.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by ultramarina
I'm an evangelist about this, I know, but protect sleep as much as you can. The literature on its importance is absolutely stunning. I know there seems to evidence that gifted kids may need less, but I'm not personally all that convinced of that--I think they just work harder to stay awake, in many cases.

Also, many people don't know this, but teens need at least 9 and hopefully 10 hours a night or so per the literature. Sleep needs increase at that age, and sleep cycle shifts.

Yes, sleep needs DO increase (temporarily, usually) in adolescence. We've seen (and respected) this pattern, though as Zen Scanner notes, our DD seems to need 10-20% less sleep than most of her peers.

I'd add that some of this seems to be genetic. Low sleep needs seem to run on my side of the family, particularly in the women. I always take those kind of genetic quirks into account with physiological stuff like this.

We always know when our DD isn't getting enough sleep. It definitely shows, and we have (even at 11-13yo) sent her to BED when her behavior crashes in a big way and we suspect that sleep deprivation is at the bottom of it. I highly recommend that approach, actually, with a child who becomes prone to power struggles when tired.

Posted By: Somerdai Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 01/31/13 11:55 PM
A typical day for DS3 is a two hour nap (3-5 pm) and 7 hours at night (11 pm to 6 am). We tried giving up nap time but he still only slept 7 hours (8 pm to 3 am) and we were all miserable. He only slept in 3 hr stretches at night up until he was almost 3 when he finally started doing 6 - 7 at a time.

DD3 days hasn't really woken up yet, she just nurses and goes right back to sleep, so we'll see what happens there, but so far I'm thrilled. smile
Posted By: Michaela Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 02/01/13 12:01 AM
At the end of the day, you can't force a kid to sleep. Trust me, I tried. A lot.

I was able to _make_ him take a nap, at great cost, but he just stayed up at night. He slept less hours total, when he took the nap. Now, when he sleeps early or more, it's generally a sign that he is extremely stressed and we are about to start seeing major symptoms.

We have often desperately tried to get him to sleep more, because we've been concerned he wasn't sleeping enough. I go back and forth on this. But at the end of the day, I gotta say, there's a limit to how much you can "protect" sleep, even if it's crucial.
Posted By: aquinas Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 02/01/13 03:18 AM
I understand I napped or had quiet time for an hour after lunch through 4. During teen years, I slept 12-14 hours on Friday nights because I had 3 (!!) sports practices those days totalling ~4-5 hours. I would crash at 8pm, no joke. As an adult, I have high sleep needs (~9 hours).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 02/01/13 01:45 PM
I may have something wrong with me LOL, but while I didn't sleep much as a baby, I slept for 12 hours from the age of five until a teen; and in adulthood I need at least 12. If given the opportunity, I could sleep for 14 hours!
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: young kids: age drop last nap? - 02/01/13 02:10 PM
While the need for sleep may be related to giftedness, it could also be related to genetics. My DD3, who I believe is gifted, needs 12 hours a day (she got it from me since I need at least 10 or I lose it). She still takes a 3 hour nap and 9 hours at night everyday. My cousin, who is PG, and pursuing his PhD, always slept for 12+hours a day. I remember it because the adults in his life were always unhappy about how much he slept but boy, did he accomplish more than anyone else during the time he was awake smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum