Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 257 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    some back ground first: Ds is 9 the same age as a 3rd grader. Last year and beginning of this school year he was in a virtual public school. He was working on a Pre-Alg. level in math and 5th grade for language and literature. For personal reasons we had to put him into a local public school. They put him into ALL 4th grade math. He has asked for challenging math and was denied. My husband and I have been trying to advocate for him but elementary school principal doesn't want to do anything, believes he is being challenged.

This morning I was called by the principal. She said ds wasn't doing his math packet nor anything else in class. Teacher told him to start on it several times and he didn't. She then told him he was going to the principal's office and he feel into the floor and through a hissy fit. He is now in the office with 3 days of in school suspension for choosing not to do his work.

We are hoping that ds will get challened not year b/c it is too late to do anything this year. We have talked with superintendent and asst. superintendent and they both agree he needs to be challenged and that it is to late this year.

Any suggestions on what we can do this year?

Kathy-Texas

J
    J
    Fourth grade, he can do the national math competitions that are out there. What about trying that? If he wins/excels at that, the school would obviously take notice.

P
    P
    My DD7(just turned 7) is in 2nd grade but she is doing 4th grade Math and reading. She will bring her S'pore Math or gifted kids 4th grade from Flashkids with her to school. She will do her class work first and usually finished way earlier than everyone and she works on her own thing. She was reading HP books before but now that she is done, she turns to Math.

I know it is frustrating. We have discussed with the principal and the teacher that they will allow my DD to do independent study but it means she is on her own. So far, she does not mind. She enjoys being the smartest in the class.

May be you can advocate about online studies like study island. It costs only like $60 for the whole year and your ds can advance on his own pace. CTY Math is good but kind of pricey and EPGY Math (open enrollment) is an option. But my DD likes study island because she can play games after correct answer. The school is supposed to let my DD does study island 3 days a week but it hasn't happened regularly for several excuses.

And check out superstars Math III in google. They have great problem solving questions for K-8 and your ds can choose his own level. Try aleks website for algebra.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    My DS is enrolled in EPGY and I gave the login info to his teacher and the principal knows but they have chosen not to use it. We have ALEKS at home at his uses it some and enjoys it but they will not let him do any math at his level, their words.

Did find out that the work his teacher wanted to do was all math. He hasn't been doing his work for 4-5 days and now the teacher says he has to do it all in 1 day. He was overwhelmed and had a melt-down. I did talk with the principal and she agreed that it was to much to ask and that the teacher should have told us sooner.

I can't wait until he has out for Summer and out of this elementary school.

Kathy-tx

T
    T
    I actually did this exact thing when I was in sixth grade. My mom and teachers got together and told me that I had a choice of either doing my homework or taking the SAT and starting college. Although I was bored to tears at school, I knew I wasn't ready for college. It was probably a total bluff, but I straightened up quickly. The first thing to keep in mind is that even though he is bored, it's important that he know he still has to follow the rules. If he thinks he doesn't have to do anything at school that doesn't challenge him, it will turn him into one of those snobby smart kids. Even so, there is a huge problem with the fact that the school will not challenge him. Start with his teacher - many schools have advanced math programs for kids in his position. If that doesn't work, go to the administrators. Then the school board. If necessary, go to the local news and see if they would be interested in a child who the school is refusing to educate. (It's a long shot, but you never know, and it's good to try every avenue). In the meantime, supplement at home. My son has made amazing progress in math, simply by working twenty minutes, three times a week.
    Good luck!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    No, that wouldn't work either. He has already taken the end of the year 5th grade test and scored really high. The principal and teacher didn't even acknowledge that he past it. They said that he is in 4th grade and he has to do 4th grade.

Kathy

D
    D
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/bks/feta2/feta2.htm

Get this book. Good luck--I remember feeling the same way--I did it in 6th grade reading (minus the tantrum).

M
    M
    Oh my, you are bringing back memories of my own schooling. I refused to hand in any work in Yr9 history. I was bored and hated the teacher and felt the course was racist and sexist. Ironically the F I earned that term is the only time in my schooling career that I can remember my mother sitting me on her knee and telling me how proud she was of my grades (because I had taken on the school over something I believed in). But I look back and I am sure if I had not been bored and/or the teacher not a jerk I probably would have just sucked it up and kept my A average...

In my case though, when I was sent to the principle to be told off and replied that the course was racist and sexist and I wasn't going to do it, they couldn't really argue with my reasoning as it really was an appalling course. So I got sent off to the library to do a special project for the rest of the term and that was that. I never saw the teacher again and I returned to meekly getting good grades there after. I have no idea what my parents would have done if I had pulled the same stunt over being bored in maths (which was also incredibly boring).

Mum -- Nice! Ds10 has a C in Geography, and I just don't care, his teacher is seriously bad. Everyone I've spoken to about her has the same horror stories -- absurd assignments, no sense of deadlines, horrible organization that ends up being the kids' fault, if things are lost, etc. She made them bring in bags on which to do a project, his was white so he was going to draw right on the bag. She said he HAD to do it on paper first, but by then the only paper left was black, so his drawings totally did not show up. It was sooooo frustrating for him, I am surprised he held it together, I was really proud he just did it and went on with this life. (He asked if he could burn that bag when we fire up the grill next, and I am ok with that).

Sorry nothing constructive to add.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM