Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    The five I know is definately not crazy. Her mom half kiddingly says she is. I won't give details because she is not my child and not my details to share. But, she is a great little girl who imo fits the five profile. It's very hard to parent her and when I feel overwhelmed, I think of her mom. She is the only one I know IRL who has a bigger parenting challenge in the realm of GT than I do. IRL, I mean. I'm glad to have found all of you and feel we are all in the same boat.

Incog

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Ania,

Beautiful scores for Ghost! I can't believe all the stuff he's doing (can't believe you're surviving taking him to all those activities!)

Just a couple things to consider about DYS--they have counselors who really help think things out, advise, bring an issue/question to committee & then tell you their suggestions. I've found this very helpful. Their recommendations are also influential in negotiating with schools.

There is an annual gathering with high powered presenters for kids' topics and for parents'. The kids get to explore interesting out of the box things AND have lots of fun. These gatherings are free, though flight & hotel are out of pocket (financial aid is available!). I've never been to one, but I'm determined to go next summer (2009). I want to meet the other parents on this board and the experts and counselors. DS9 wants to meet kids he's seen in profiles on the YS boards and kids like him.

There are colloquia available to YS, proctored by professionals/experts. DS9 signed up for one, and it was really great--about meteorology & extreme weather. BUT, he's not motivated to work at it, so he didn't do the readings and slacked off on the dialog. Other kids were completely engaged, had asked questions they'd wanted to know--it was very interactive. They have many topics, and each YS can sign up for 2 colloquia every 6 months.

Also, the YS program now offers an Ambassador program with community service projects--by application. This seems really amazing, for service oriented or project-based (Ghost!) kids.

Finally, mentorship connections can be facilitated through YS. Ghost is at the age, self-motivation, etc. that such a situation might be beneficial to take his inquiries to another level. Some of these go on to become Davidson Fellows (scholarships of $10K-$50K). I expect to read about Ghost being a Davidson Fellow in the next couple years for some amazing math or science study. Check it out.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I think the original question here was whether PG kids can survive in regular classroom. I believe they can survive, but it would be unfortunate--a waste. I do not believe they will be happy with this and their work habits will flatline. Skipping one or more grades and being in a regular classroom would be an improved scenario, though the truth is nothing will be quite right.

I'm still in awe of you who homeschool. I don't think I'd ever be able to relax, thinking I'm fully responsible and that I'm failing failing failing. To be the only voice...maybe I lack confidence in being that voice. I also think my kids seem to tune out that particular voice--how could it be effective? I admire those who do it and succeed, because it's very rare to find a really gifted teacher, and that's what's needed for a PG kid (more likely to be found in the parents of the kids).

Originally Posted by cym
    I'm still in awe of you who homeschool. I don't think I'd ever be able to relax, thinking I'm fully responsible and that I'm failing failing failing. To be the only voice...maybe I lack confidence in being that voice.

Nah, don't be in awe. I just figure I can't do any worse than teaching him nothing, which is what he was learning in school! Nowhere to go but up!

smile

Plus HSing GT kids is about as easy as falling off a log most of the time. They're learning machines! It's mostly about finding opportunities and materials, not so much about traditional teaching. Even as they get older, it becomes about finding experts and mentors and classes, not so much about teaching.

Kriston
    "I'm still in awe of you who homeschool. I don't think I'd ever be able to relax, thinking I'm fully responsible and that I'm failing failing failing."

Cym, say you won't homeschool because you work, your child doesn't want to, they are getting great personal and social benefits at school,,even that it's not a good fit for your family.

But please, don't say it is because you would be afraid to fail at it. That would be unlikely, if not impossible.
    I felt that way and realized I was afraid of taking on that responsibility and failing. After I spent some time looking into it and thinking about it, I realized I was letting my kids down by pushing off the responsibility on the school so I could blame them, not myself if things didn't work out.
    I'm so NOT saying that is what you are doing.
    But, this caused me to take a close hard look at what is going on in school and what the options are.
    I did go in and talk to teacher/principal and they have changed the classroom environment for DD8.
    I haven't gotten to that far for DD5, yet. But if it doesn't work out for her, I will homeschool.
    Because I want to do it.
    Because she wants to do it.
    And, I'm not afraid to do it.
    Just reading everyone's posts it's so clear we are all caring intelligent parents that would be able to homeschool if the need and desire are there.

And Ditto what Kriston said; exactly.

Incog

C
    cym Offline
    C
    You're probably right--I love the way you put it.

Wow! I thought I would NEVER reach the end of this thread! All very interesting thoughts... I am sorry that I don't have anything much to add to the discussion. I think a PG kid in a regular classroom with no accommodations would have to tune out and spend a good portion of the day in his or her own head just to get through the day.

Wow, 'Neato! <applause> That was downright eloquent!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by CFK
    I'm curious (and have nothing to do as I'm waiting for a delivery!) as to whether anyone thinks that a child can be EG/PG and function in a normal classroom without any acceleration. To me, that high LOG is synonymous with accleration, be it whole grade or subject. I understand how enrichment, going horizontal, is supposed to work, but it seems to me that one of the main characteristics of exceptional intellect is the rapid pace at which new skills can be learned and new information processed. Does anyone have a EG/PG child that is able to learn horizontally and stay within the limits of the grade curriculum?

No.

I usually paid attention for a minute during the start of the lecture until I knew I already knew it then went back to my daydreaming or reading. The usual solution was for me to be left alone with my books as long as I did the tests with the rest of the class. The only time I really enjoyed school when younger was when I was accelerated 2+ grades and even then I was the top performer in class.

Now that I am older, I see what a tremendous waste it was. But we did not know back then what we know now.

Last edited by Austin; 08/04/08 10:53 AM.
    Originally Posted by Ania
    No matter how much you grade skip/accelerate in math, they are still going to top the class if they are PG. My DS was put into Algebra in 5th grade, a class generally reserved for 8/9 graders.

I agree.

In the 2d grade, I did reading with the 6th graders and read all the books pretty quickly and then sat in class reading library books.

In the late 70s, I moved during 7th grade into a school district that tested me when I arrived. They tested me twice. I started the day in PE in Middle school then walked over to the HS for Algebra, Chem, Phsysics, and English with the HS kids. I recall being a terribly shy at first, but once the class started - I felt right at home - totally focused. But even then, I recall that by the 2d week I had read all the textbooks from cover to cover and was getting bored. I started taking library books with me to read - but we moved yet again.

Smart kids need to be challenged or they will not develop to their full potential - developing the capacity for hard work, staying engaged even when bored - the boredom not caused by the subject matter, learning how to advance one's viewpoint, dealing with difficult people - these are learned traits. When a bright kid disengages because its what they have to do to stay sane, then they will live in their own world, making it harder to learn these traits.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM