Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 35 1 2 3 4 34 35
    D
    D
    I hand filled it in and scanned it and emailed it at 11:30pm, March 31st (deadline is 1st). That's all I had time for, considering I started the application at 10:30pm smile. I'm hoping my son's scores, and not his mother's literary efforts, will sway the DYS decision.

Mia Offline
    I just typed answers to the questions in a Word document, printed that, and wrote "see attached" on the actual form. They didn't want to muddle through pages of my handwriting, I'm positive! smile

Mia
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Same here, except I hand wrote the short answers and attached the questions with the longer answers.

N
    Nan Offline
    N
    I used Acrobat to type answers to the form part directly in. I did the questions as a word processing document. I scanned in the signature page, so it was .jpg. I attached all three of those files in one email, and sent a .jpg of the test results in a second email.

Check under tools of your acrobat and see if you have a typewriter mode.

Originally Posted by Mia
    I just typed answers to the questions in a Word document, printed that, and wrote "see attached" on the actual form. They didn't want to muddle through pages of my handwriting, I'm positive! smile
    Yup, me to.

The key to success is to just DO it, and not get bogged down in the perfectionism!

Good enough will have to be good enough!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Hi everyone,

Since questions about the Davidson Young Scholars program come up from time to time, sometimes new people join the board and ask questions that may have already been answered or discussed. Because of this, I am making this thread "sticky" (meaning that it will stay at the top) and it will serve as an open thread about the Davidson Young Scholars program. Please use this thread to discuss anything Young Scholar-related.

For informational purposes, here are a few past threads about the Young Scholars program:

Young Scholars - whether to apply

Applied for DYS and They Need More Info: Help

Young Scholars application

Full search results for "Young Scholars"

Thank you! If anyone has anything to add, please share it in this thread.
    Mark

Thank you Mark and thanks to everyone else in this thread. I'm trying not to be nervous waiting. We sent ours for the April 1 deadline. I asked DH and DS to go play together (lol) and spent about 8 hours hand writing the application, contacting his tutor and explaining the reference form, making copies of DS's work and recording a video of a presentation he gave onto a CD. I made the decision to snail mail everything instead of email as I wasn't certain I could keep it to the attachment limit requested. I received an email a few days later saying that the application is complete (phew!).

I guess I'm nervous because we are applying without IQ test results. Hoping his achievement score and the portfolio I put together will be good enough. Glad I waited till this year (he's 8) instead of doing it last year because he's only now starting to write more. Apart from the CD, I sent in his math doodles (he draws graphs of number patterns for pleasure) and a sketch he made of a science experiment he plans to carry out (involving sodium and explosions) and a few pages of his word collection (yes, he collects words). Like others mentioned, I typed out a long story on a word doc and attached that to the application. Included all the milestones I could remember about reading, math etc.

"After" (emphasis on after) sending it I realized there were a bunch of good videos I'd taken that I could have included (big frustrated SIGH...). Well, fingers crossed! And good luck to everyone else waiting like we are.

B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by DrinkMoreWater
    I'm hoping my son's scores, and not his mother's literary efforts, will sway the DYS decision.

LOL! Me too! I hope I didn't take the application process too lightly {sigh}. It is what it is...just heard back that everything is complete and they will let us know their decision at the end of the month.

Good luck to everyone else who applies/is applying!

Originally Posted by LDmom
    "After" (emphasis on after) sending it I realized there were a bunch of good videos I'd taken that I could have included (big frustrated SIGH...). Well, fingers crossed! And good luck to everyone else waiting like we are.
    Oh Golly, Just send out the videos you have tomorrow. Maybe you'll get lucky and they haven't even reviewed yours yet.
    Good Luck to all,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 35 1 2 3 4 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM