Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #44406 04/13/09 08:40 AM
    Joy S Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but it already feels like home! I have two HG daughters (ages 6 and 9). The stories I've read all sound so familiar.

I just sent in my older daughter's Young Scholar application last Friday. It's out of my hands now, but for some silly reason I feel so nervous about it! I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me what I already know-- that regardless of the outcome, we will be OK and that there are still plenty of other resources out there for parenting a kid like her!

She was tested by Dr. Deborah Ruf on the SB-5 with a 144 (which I know is 1 point below the cut-off). Dr. Ruf assessed her at a "high level 4". Her achievement scores are very high, though, and above the Davidson minimums. (EXPLORE as a 4th grader: English 19, Math 17, Reading 18, Science 18, Composite 18; WIAT-II scores also over the 99.9%)

Does anyone familiar with the program have any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate any words of wisdom!

Sincerely,

Joy

Joy

DD6
    DD9
    Welcome! laugh

Did any of her subscores cross that 145 level? FSIQ is not the only score that can qualify a kid.

And FWIW, I was terribly nervous about the app, too. smile You're not alone!

Kriston
    Joy S Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just looked up the details... I didn't remember that the 144 was the verbal only...

Her SB-5 scores were Verbal: 144, Non-Verbal: 137, FS: 142, Abbreviated: 150

WIAT-II scores were Total Reading: 151, Total Mathematics: 147, Total Language: 154, Total Oral: 160, Total Composite: 155

Thanks for the warm welcome, Kriston!

Joy

DD6
    DD9
    Good luck - your DD has some great scores! And yes, whether she gets in or not, the good news is she's still your same wonderful kid, and you know that she has these confirmed special educational needs so you'll be able to help her along the way. And this is a great forum full of families like yours, so welcome!

I remember being a bit nervous when we sent our DYS application in for DS5. I thought maybe he wasn't really all that gifted. (But it turns out he was.)

ps - i sent you a pm. go under my stuff, and click on messages.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/13/09 09:40 AM.
    Welcome Joy...!

I was so nervous it was ridiculous! I think a big part of it is letting go of that last little piece of denial. I agree with Dottie, in that achievement seems to present a clearer picture.

Good Luck!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Oh, one thought now that I see the specific scores...

If they say "not quite," (and I'm not saying that's what I think they will say!), then you might want to retest on the WISC. Rumor has it that the WISC is a bit kinder to verbal kids and the SB-V is a bit better for visual-spatial kids. Value that for about as much as you paid for it wink , but it might mean that the WISC would show your DD's abilities in a better/truer light, more in line with her achievement scores.

MY DS is visual-verbal (prefers words to pictures, but needs to see them to get it), and he did a good bit better on the WISC, though there were some extenuating circumstances on the SB-V beyond that, too. But it is something to consider...

Kriston
    Hi Joy,

I'd say I wasn't nervous, but I certainly wasn't confident that DD would be accepted.

My feelings were that if she was a child that would benefit from the services of Davidson, they would be the best ones to tell me that!

Good luck! Now the long wait.........It can be a real nail biter!

Hi, welcome Joy - and St. Pauli, congrats to your ds!
    I was just curious about the 'abbreviated' score - maybe Dottie or someone else will know, is that similar to a GAI from the Wisc?

Joy S Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for your encouragement, everyone. I appreciate your insights!

Joy

Joy

DD6
    DD9
    Joy S Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The wait is over... she was accepted! I am so happy for her, even though she really doesn't understand yet what this is about. Anyway, just wanted to shout for joy!

Sincerely,

Joy

Joy

DD6
    DD9
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations