Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Hey shifty,
    A'wright. I'll share. http://iquim.org/. Is my very expensive hobby. They say you can make a career out of it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Naturopaths only make $40 k a year and a single lawsuit would wipe you out. What they mean is this non-accredited school degree will qualify you to be liscensed with several professional practitioner boards and makes you practitioner insurance eligible. But it has room for useful research to be done. Mixing modern particle physics with old homeopathy and wives tales. I'm bout to get boo'd off this forum, but I thought if I could discover the science behind the juju we could cure cancer without rotting your liver as a payment for the cure. I'm an atheist who had a zealous PenticostL childhood and has had an interest in home remedies and anatomy since the age of 12. I'm searching for a T.O.E. through biology, how ego-centric is that? )yup, been reading the Wizard of Quarks, thanks Raddy(. I think if you make a gut you're just kidding yourself.
    Like I said, this is just an expensive hobby. I'm a housewife with a hubby buying my dinner and pampers. I'm supplementing my homeopathic rich history with IQUIM, physics, and math studies ala Amazon dot com. The hubby doesn't mind because he wants a miracle when he gets old. I've learned from the Thursday night Big Bang not to share research ideas because someone else might get credit. But if you succeed before me (doubtful, mwaa-ha-ha*) I'll have to be content with the world just being a better place.

But you're 21, Wheezie, you probably don't have a hub y to pay your phone bill. You're probably to liberated and am itious for that anyway. Mine was an accident, thank God. So, you probably need money and a place to be. Job Corp is made for people your age. I don't know if they help you into college or not. If you can research particle physics you can research a friggin pell grant. Whoa, whoa. Too much attitude LaTexican, sorry Shift. That's a legitimate quiestion if you can go from cc to the ivy league. It seems you can. Another legitimate quiestion, posted other places, is "are the student loans worth the cost". I don't know, but there's money to live on while you study.

* is it ok to say mwaa-ha-ha if you're only a mad scientist not an evil genuis? See I have plans for data mining of human experimentation and mathematical simulations of lab experiments on human beings, but I currently have no plans available of becoming an evil genuis.

**anyone who goes to iquim pm me, because I think if you sign up I get a discount. Like I said it's expensive and I have no plans to make a career of it:). And anyone studying similar stuff. Let's talk using this thread, or the Quantum Physics thread. Or pm me. Anyone doing the forex, I'll be there shortly. Just gotta do some home repairs first. Wren?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    W
    W
    I used to like some currencies, before Euro, but too tired and short on time to look. I like trading the yen.

I like commodities when they get into big cycles, like sugar, copper.

No idea what iquim is, so I will google.

Ren

P
    P
    Hi Shift,

I was not born here and our education system was different. When we finished high school, we had to decide what profession we wanted and I was 16 when I started my med school.

You are already 21 and I am kind of dumbfounded that you have 2 choices which are quite far apart.

I have 2 daughters and what I would tell my daughters is to follow your passion (regarding the career) but you have to live with your decision. There are a lot of gifted students but not all reached their potential because they made wrong choices along the way.

Math professor in a college may not make as much money as a doctor but if that's what you want in life, your life will be fulfilling. I have seen many med students dropped out because they think Medicine is too hard or boring. It is true that if you do not have passion for it, Medicine could be really difficult.

There are a lot of fascinating things in Medicine. There are red cross volunteer offices in quite a lot of hospitals. I suggest you volunteer for a month during your summer time and see if that's your calling.

One of my mentor during med school had a lot of physical limitation (childhood polio, debilitating asthma, multiple allergies, etc..) but he is one of the best teacher I ever had (considering I went to Yale for my post grad).

What the med schools look for is the MCAT score and SAT score. Going to CC will not hurt unless your MCAT is average. If you have pre-med research, you are definitely IN.

Good luck!

Iquim was for Shift to google because it's a bizarre hippy university that is severly unprestigious but it incorporates particle physics and medicine, two of Shift's listed interests which aren't usually combined. Like I said it's an expensive hobby of mine. I'm using it to persue unguided unfunded unassigned medical research that may or may not lead me to making a new discovery but for me it will not lead to a career. It's just a hobby. It costs money. It's interesting to me. There's room for research into it. You can make a job out of it, I guess. But I'm just interested in the research. I want to make a living off of forex instead. Eur/jpy is popular but too wild for me. I saw a girl who was good with the gby/jpy, talk about tough. No, I think I'll do the usd/cad and minor in eur/usd. I just mentioned the forex to say I'm not looking for a career out of my IQUIM studies, which mixes old wives tales and homeopathy and modern quantum sciences. I apologize for not speaking clearly. I'm working on that. It's still a personal growth area.

Last edited by La Texican; 01/18/11 01:08 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    T
    T
    I'm sorry, La Texican, but what?

S
    Shift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I just went through my book wishlist and noted that about 85-90% of them were in the field of mathematics and/or physics. And, er, no, I most definitely am not interested in naturopathy, or mis-applying the terms of quantum physics. I am strongly interested in science-based medicine, but I'm thinking it'll remain more of a hobby, like studying foreign languages or literary analysis.

Yeah, sorry about all that, geez, I mean usually I stop myself before I go too long-winded, but by 5 a.m. my words become a relentless torrent. I think I knew pretty much what to do, except that I am always seeking out the reassurance of others due to this anxiety, which forms a ceaseless shadow of self-doubt, so thank you for helping to cast light on the underlying confidence I needed to put my plans into action.

Sorry talullah. As a housewife I have too much time on my hands. I spend it studying stuff that interests me. There's a kind of naturopath doctor that goes to pre-med, med school, and then another school. I think it's 11 years total and a regular doctor is 8. I could be wrong. There's a couple people that made an alternative non-accredited school to discuss findings between a few phD quantum physicists and the kind of naturopath I described as well as seasoned practitioners of alternative medicine. I've been interested in alternative medicine since I was a pre-teen.
    I just tried to make it clear that they're selling the classes as a way to start a business. I'm taking the classes but only to further my herbism studies I've been studying, not as a career option. I mentioned forex currency daytrading because that's something I'm planning to eventually make a home business out of. Wren said she sometimes watches the Euro(pean) dollar. But I plan to start small with the usdollar vs the cad (Canadian), which is smoother but less active than the more popular Eur(o). I really need to work on my situational awareness and communication skills. It's a personal growth area of mine that still needs attention. Although I usually do alright. I just land on my face whenever I do trip up.

Oh yeah, shift. I was going to recmed "the body's many cries for water". By Dr. Batman,something. He says some interesting things. If you happen to ever read it and you happen to not like it I'd really like to hear about it. But now it seems like it's not something you would read. Ok.

T
    T

I really need to work on my situational awareness and communication skills. It's a personal growth area of mine that still needs attention. Although I usually do alright. I just land on my face whenever I do trip up.
    You'll be fine if you just stop posting while under the influence. wink Reading that was almost like tripping myself.

FYI, the Euro is the Euro, not the European dollar.

smile I'll clean up my language. I didn't mean to be a bad influence. I'm just really happy to be here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM