Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Warning: Serious need to vent!

Do you ever feel like you are dealing with incompetent people?

We just finished our new IEP meeting, mandated to take place by the state due to non-compliance of our school system and they still don't get it! Okay, yes, the laws are hard to follow as they are buried deep within thousands of words and they are sometime written for lawyers and not regular folks, but if I can understand them...why can't the top level people in our district understand them?

I mean seriously, if the law clearly tells you that you must include A,B & C and you've been given a decision of law from the state because you did it wrong in the first place...why would you not include A, B & C?

So I wait again for them to fix a very important part of the IEP and hope that they do. Because if they don't, then I'll have to go back to the state again for another formal complaint with all kinds of errors still on the IEP. Ugh! And in doing so reveal that the district actually lied on they first one; yep true story; so the state wouldn't give them a formal corrective action plan. Super Ugh!

What an embarassment for the district to have to be taken to the state level twice by the same person for not doing their jobs! Here's to hoping they will fix this error that is simple to fix and I can let this whole IEP progess go for this year!

Venting over smile

J
    J
    At our first (and only) meeting with the principal of my son's school it was very apparent that she could not distinguish between top 10%, top 1/3, and 99% percentile.

So our son is in a gifted program they claim is for the top 10% that is somehow expanded to include the top 1/3 and that should be perfect for him because he is in the 99th percentile on everything.

It was pretty obvious to me that there was a lot of intentional "misunderstanding" at the meeting, but when it became apparent that her basic understanding of numbers was that limited (the gifted coordinator was there too and when this happened she started avoiding eye contact) I gave up. They have very powerful weapons in their arsenal: inertia, stupidity, laziness, intentional obtuseness.....

Good luck. I admire your determination and initiative.

BTW - I wouldn't assume they are embarrassed at all. You have to care to be embarrassed.

E
    E
    I don't know if I should be cheered or appalled that this isn't uniquer to our county's school district.

You both have my sympathies, fwiw.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Good point Jane - They are just so used to doing it the same old way that it is absurd to them to do it the right way.

So the result of a years worth of battles was an addition of a subject to his IEP. Yippy! OH WAIT... They didn't put the subject as the actual subject because that would just make to much sense. And they didn't give us any additional minutes for the services but added it into reading, which essentially takes away some reading time. And they did put that he would be accelerated in the subject and reach specific goals it took me an hour of insisting to get put in. So basically after 2 and 1/2 hours of sitting in a room with these people they wrote an IEP that they know won't work.

The only option we have now is to wait for this IEP to fail and look to modify it at the beginning of next year and then when they refuse to do so, take it back to the state!

This crazy twisted game the district is playing continues only because parents allow it to continue. When we stop allowing them to lie and manipulate and break the law things will get better. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM