Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
    A
    A
    I wish I remember how alert my daughter was at birth (she's almost 12 now). I had a really terrible labor and was pretty out of it for awhile after that. But I do know that we couldn't cosleep with her - she pinwheeled, scooted, and kicked us in the face from the very beginning. When I broke out of my fog (after the first couple of weeks), it was noticeable how strong she was and everybody commented on her alertness.

My son was a natural birth at home so I remember everything. He's always been very alert and managed to support his own weight very early. He could hold up his head for about 15-30 seconds or so at birth. I remember we tried to get him to calm down right after he was born so he could nurse - he was screaming so much. The only thing that calmed him down was reading him Green Eggs and Ham (which we read to him in the womb). He has always been VERY high needs and has never slept the amount they tell you to expect.

He smiled at 5 days, laughed at 2 weeks, supported his weight on his legs at about 1.5 weeks and "walked" up his daddy's chest with help for balance. We got a lot of comments about how "aware" he seemed and how he seemed to be studying people.

Here's pictures of him at 6 days old:
    Here's one of him smiling at my daughter
    Here's my favorite one from that set. My daughter was calling him off camera to the right.

asdgestalt.com - An autism and psychology discussion forum.
    your kids are SO cute!!! He does look very alert.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    adhoc.

ADORABLE! You made me go back through my pics and what strikes me as funny now is how I just assumed this was normal.

Below is a link to an album I set up from DD's first few weeks. She was a very active, alert baby with strong neck muscles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katelynsmom/sets/72157625037616881/

A
    A
    Thank you Grinity and Katelyn'sMom.

Katelyn'sMom - your DD is beautiful. That set of photos really show that she was thinking so much at such an early age. And based on what you've mentioned about her in other posts, you have a ball of fire on your hands.

Thanks adhoc. So funny that I just posted those pictures. I went to pick DD up from school and one of the teachers had to go on and on about her eyes. When she was born I never thought that baby would turn into a blue eyed, golden hair little girl. Her eyes were almost black at birth. But it seems her eyes are a topic of conversation a lot at school. The teacher's comment was that it is as if you can look into her brain. LOL She might have meant soul. Either way I get what she was referring to ... DD is definitely a thinker and she has an intensity in her eyes.

I love baby pics! They are adorable babies!

before dd7 I had never seen another baby with the eye tracking thing that early (at least until now smile )

I want to share too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54865046@N04/5081892717/in/photostream/

Katelyn'sM om my dd also gets the comment about the intensity in her eyes as well, she always looks so serious, even when she's not

A
    A
    Oh my goodness, Skylersmommy - she's so beautiful. Such huge eyes. Are her eyes still that big at 7?

You definitely see an intensity right away - it looks in the pictures like she had much better vision than you would expect for that age.

Aww - now I want another baby. But mine is still keeping us way too busy. I don't think we could handle another one of him.

I love all the sharing of the baby pictures. First, how can you resist such cute babies! And second, it is nice to see other babies with such alertness.

adhoc, thank you smile

her eyes are big and intense.. that stands out even now

Last edited by Iucounu; 10/14/10 06:38 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM