Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    Thinking out loud, I would think that even if a parent DID consent, such consent could be revoked at any time, especially in a situation where continued participation would so obviously hinder the child's education.

I'd want to (a) find out from the Gates Foundation the precise parameters of the study and consent, and (b) I think you're right to give the principal another chance here (I think you're correct that she's probably just using the study as an excuse), though I can't say I'd want to wait a week (when is your appt? if it's not until late next week I'd try to get in with her today; if it's Monday, I'd wait and take the time to arm myself with...whatever I could find).

Are there kids in the school whose parents did not consent? Is this a regular neighborhood elementary school, or some other special type of school?

Last edited by snowgirl; 09/23/10 09:06 AM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I really appreciate all the fast responses as timeliness is a consideration. Thanks everyone.

Following up on the last two posts by Val and snowgirl I'm thinking I will email the principal today and say I don't recall signing a release for participation in a research project that would impact his placement.

This way I'm not blindsiding her on Monday and she has a chance to evaluate the situation and realize the easiest course of action hor her nad the school.

ETA - emailing today also avoids keeping it verbal.

Last edited by JaneSmith; 09/23/10 09:17 AM.
    I would give the principal one more shot, and then move up the chain of command. I say this because it seems pretty clear the principal just made this up on the fly (or is clueless).

A bigger concern to me is the conflict of interest between getting more money for the school and the needs of kids.

I would, in writing, communicate something like this.

"I am writing once again to address the issue of our request to have DC [accelerated to 3rd grade or whatever]. Based on our conversation [or email or letter] of September X, 2010 you indicated that such a request was impossible because of a grant provided to the school by the Gates Foundation for the [blah blah] study. According to you, the Study does not allow [blah blah].

I am deeply disturbed by the position you [or the school] have taken. If indeed the Gates Foundation study does not allow children to move classrooms, then the district has created a serious conflict of interest in which additional funding and/or payments to teachers are given priority over the right of a child to an appropriate educational environment. In addition, my child's inclusion in the MET study is in violation of informed consent laws, as I am quite certain that i have never given consent for my child to participate in a study which would so limit his/her educational option.

If my understanding of our prior conversation is incorrect, or if I have misunderstood the school's relationship to the Gate's Foundation study, I look forward to your clarification. "

I would send this letter before your meeting to Principal and I would hope for a reply before that. Also, do not go to the meeting with the Principal alone. Take a spouse, partner, parent, friend or someone, and take very good notes.

I would definitely, however you word things, make sure you give the principal a way to back down on this. Be willing to politely say with a smile "I am sure I must have misunderstood your position as I am certain the school would never sacrifice a child's right to an appropriate education in order to pay their teachers $1500 more per year.

I mean really, if there was a major bullying situation, they wouldn't be able to move a kid from a class?

K
    K
    I think that an email or a letter to the principal is a good idea. I would re-state very clearly what you want (math subject acceleration) and your supporting data. Then I would state that you do not recall consenting to your son's participation in a study but that it may have been in the morass of paper that you got at the beginning of the year. (This may provide them a way to save face). Either way, you are withdrawing your consent at this time. Given that your son will no longer be proceeding with the study, you would like to address implementation of math acceleration at your next meeting.

You may want to consider whether to cc people in the district who are higher up in the food chain. Like it or not, bumping it to a higher level may be necessary in your case.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    I would definitely, however you word things, make sure you give the principal a way to back down on this. Be willing to politely say with a smile "I am sure I must have misunderstood your position as I am certain the school would never sacrifice a child's right to an appropriate education in order to pay their teachers $1500 more per year.

I think Catalana has some great ideas for a letter/email above. I think this is an especially important point, to give the principal a way to save face.

I'm sure I misunderstood you, it couldn't be that a child's education is sacrificed in the name of research, isn't the goal here to improve education rather than wrecking it, there must be a way we can work together/work something out for the child's sake, something along those lines...

I must have had too much caffeine again this morning - I keep thinking, what is your BATNA here (best alternative to a negotiated agreement). Can you do math at home, regardless of what ends up happening at school? For example, my dd is doing EPGY math at home because I don't have complete faith in her school giving her the acceleration she needs, even though (they think) they're trying. Having it on the computer is quite a boon for me; it's much easier for someone else to teach her LOL, as well as guide the curriculum, and then I merely help here and there as needed.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Yes, yes, yes to all the preceding posts. I was just trying to write an email just like you are all suggesting, although I think I will try to keep it a little more informal in tone. These suggestions are wonderful and I will use them as a checklist ot make sure I have not forgotten anything. I agree with going the "I must be confused" route.

snowgirl, the problem we face is that I work full time (although I'm not getting much done today) and the kids are at two different schools. So we don't get home until 4, and bedtime is 8-ish (early risers). I do piano with both kids and my younger son isn't too great at occupying himself. I also have a young dog that needs to be exercised. So I was really in hopes that I would not have to provide a complete year's worth of math at home. I'm not averse to doing my part, really!

If they would allow a private tutor on site after school hours (instead of the two hours he spend in after school care), that would work. As would allowing him to take the EPGY course during school. Actually, now that I think of it - he wouldn't need much help with that, would he? He could view the lesson with headphones while I did piano with his brother? That's how EPGY works, right?

Last edited by JaneSmith; 09/23/10 09:55 AM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    I work full time ...So I was really in hopes that I would not have to provide a complete year's worth of math at home. I'm not averse to doing my part, really!

You shouldn't feel guilty about not doing the school's job. smile Sounds to me like you're already doing your part and more!

Keep on truckin'

Val

S
    S
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    Yes, yes, yes to all the preceding posts. I was just trying to write an email just like you are all suggesting, although I think I will try to keep it a little more informal in tone. These suggestions are wonderful and I will use them as a checklist ot make sure I have not forgotten anything. I agree with going the "I must be confused" route.

snowgirl, the problem we face is that I work full time (although I'm not getting much done today) and the kids are at two different schools. So we don't get home until 4, and bedtime is 8-ish (early risers). I do piano with both kids and my younger son isn't too great at occupying himself. I also have a young dog that needs to be exercised. So I was really in hopes that I would not have to provide a complete year's worth of math at home. I'm not averse to doing my part, really!

If they would allow a private tutor on site after school hours (instead of the two hours he spend in after school care), that would work. As would allowing him to take the EPGY course during school. Actually, now that I think of it - he wouldn't need much help with that, would he? He could view the lesson with headphones while I did piano with his brother? That's how EPGY works, right?

That's the whole beauty of EPGY. We're still relatively new to it, but I'm pleased so far. Sometimes I have to step in and try to teach something that a lecture didn't make clear (just as I might with homework from school), and I also use the videos at Khan Academy if I need help. Plus DH does a better job of explaining if he's around, especially on the weekend. But I too struggle with the time that teaching something outside of school takes - I feel your pain. I have lots of workbooks/curricula on the shelf collecting dust because I don't have time to do it (we have six kids ages 1-9). And with piano, one of my kids still needs me to sit with him, mostly that's a discipline issue but that's the only way I can get him to practice (otherwise he pretends LOL/grrrr). EPGY is in 20-minute segments; often they'll do more than one session but all I ask is that they get one session done per day. In the beginning, it make take a little help from you to get acclimated to maneuvering around the window on the computer. But my dd9 rarely asks for help anymore with that - she even knows her log-in numbers by heart. I believe the program recommends doing one 20-minute session 4 or 5 times per week in order to get through a whole year's worth of math in a year. My kids do more than that, but I started them back at their actual grade levels to make sure we fill in any holes in their knowledge (this seems especially true with geometry for some reason, as well as simultaneous equations). So, to answer your question, yes he could do that with headphones while the other one plays piano, with little to no help from you (it helps for you to be nearby, so he can ask you for help if he needs it, just a bit here and there. and then you can go back to the piano...). Heck my kids do EPGY without headphones while someone else is playing piano and general mayhem prevails LOL....

ETA: yeah, what Val said too!

ETA: someone is often doing EPGY right here in the kitchen while I'm making dinner. I think that's a fine thing to do, especially since you're pressed for time.

Last edited by snowgirl; 09/23/10 10:17 AM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Update:

It *is* the Gates Foundation study. They are paying the teachers and achools to participate in the study and dictating no placement changes. They are also videotaping the children. You can opt out of being videotaped, but I think that means your child misses class on the days they videotape. You can't opt out of the study (and the placement restrictions) because they are claiming that the children aren't in the study, only the teachers.

Is it me or is this nuts? And kind of scary?

J
    J
    Holy cow! That's unbelievable! Is there any way you can draw attention to this? How many schools are in the study?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM