Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Is it possible to keep a friendship with a person clearly not interested in discussing stuggles we have w/our children.

My feelings are very hurt by someone I thought I was very close to when she ignores say an email or txt about anything academically related to my DS7 which I do not feel it is bragging.

For instance... a mention of signing my DS7 up for his 1st reading class w/CTY and how I am happy they do not give a letter grade for fear he would not pass w/flying colors.

As a friend I feel I should be able to mention what is going on. When I enrolled him in swimming I told her. I dk why I need to censor what I say is going on.

I am very hurt because I felt we were true friends and true friends should be able to talk about everything.

Am I wrong? Do I need to keep what I am going through with him silent?

Last edited by traceyqns; 08/26/10 07:48 AM.
    G
    G
    There are a lot of people like this in my life, especially amongst my husband's parents and my sister in laws who have non-GT children the same age as ours. The SILs love to comment about dumb things like Vampire shows on FB, but when I publish DS's novels, accomplishments, or even just "kid stuff" where he isn't GT (like artwork), there is never a single comment from that camp.

What I've decided is that there are people who still have lots of value in our lives, even if they have a competition issue (or whatever it is) when it comes to talking about the children's accomplishments. I can't cut everyone out just because they don't pat me on the back everytime I have something to share. I say what I'm going to say without worrying about their response, and try to put it out of my mind.

I come from a family where most of us cousins grew up gifted, and one cousin was probably the genius of the bunch. I grew up disliking my aunt and making fun of my cousin behind his back because we were so sick of hearing about him. I now realize that he had nothing to do with this, and she was just proud of her child (and more verbal about it than the other aunts), but my guess is that a lot of people feel that way listening to us, too! smile

It sounds to me like your friend is a true friend in many other ways, so I wouldn't give up on him yet.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    That is a very mature response gratefulmom.
    At the moment I am upset.

I had just commented on what a great job her child did on something she posted on FB before I had sent my email.

I dk if I can be as mature as you are.

Tracey,

Maybe your friend doesn't know what to say? I understand where you're coming from and that you don't want to encourage his perfectionism, etc. But sometimes, in our efforts to be non-confrontational, we make statements to which it is hard to respond.

I agree with gratefulmom - don't give up. Think about framing your statements in a way in which she can identify with your struggles. (which is also HARD)

Good Luck!

Maryann

G
    G
    I hear you, and I don't always feel mature about it, either!! I have a monkey mind, though, and if I don't try to calm it down with rational thought, negative thoughts will eat away at me.

My in-laws do bug me a lot, because I tend to internalize and feel like they don't love my sons if they don't verbalize their support. Like you, I am always careful to genuinely applaud anything my nieces and nephews do. I truly do think, though, that it probably stinks to hear about another child constantly outshining ours (in benchmark areas like school) when each of our children are the center of our world.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I get the in-law thing lol
    When I told my in-laws DS got accepted into CTY they just said "Oh"

I know they just don't get it, that is sad though.

Feels so isolating right? We can't even share things with family. That is sad.

Last edited by traceyqns; 08/26/10 08:52 AM.
    F
    F
    My best friend's son does MA-fighting, in which he is very good. To be honest I could care less about the whole fighting world especially for a 6 year old, just as she is not really into the whole academic world. It is hard for me be happy for her when her son wins a fight just as she is not excited when my DD accomplishes something academically. Needless to say we usually limit academic and fighting talk to the bare minimum.
    It could be that your friend is just not as impressed with academic accomplishments as you are, or maybe your comments are making her feel like you are raising your child's accomplishments above hers.
    In any case, I wouldn't consider it a big deal if a friend does not feel the same awe as you do about your kids. There are many things, besides the children's accomplishments in which to talk about.

C
    C
    I think it depends - if it's just that a friend doesn't have a way to connect to one thing I might talk about, and can't help with problems in that area, that's fine. This is why one should have more than one friend ;-) But if a close friend were unwilling even to listen if I was seriously distressed about something in that area, that'd be a problem. I don't expect my every remark to be responded to, but I wouldn't like to feel there were large no-go areas in discussion with a close friend.

A complication is that in a friendship that's carried on in writing, maybe it isn't always clear which things need responses, either. If that's a factor here, maybe there might be some mileage in trying to ask for what you need more clearly - if you want input on something in particular, say so, by asking a specific question ("what would you do in my place?") or explicitly saying so ("I'd really value hearing your point of view on this" or "Hugs welcomed!" or whatever.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I have times where I feel this way too - it is so hard. And I am a person who isn't always good at self-editing and who tends to run on at the mouth when I am worked up!

I only have 3 or 4 friends I talk about g/t stuff with at all, but sometimes, with enough time for self-reflection, I realize that I've gone over the line of discussion to what could be considered bragging (it isn't intended that way, but I can see that it could be taken that way). And there are times when I haven't gone over that line but my friend clearly isn't interested or has their own reaction, maybe in part because of their own issues. With the recent subject acceleration, I am not talking about it to anyone, in most cases even when asked.

In either case, I try to be gentle. To myself, for not being careful about what I have said, and maybe letting pride creep in (I think it is fine to be proud of our kids, of course), and to my friend, who also has her own things to deal with.

I also don't think true friends can talk about anything. I guess I would say true friends know each other well enough that they know what to avoid, and are considerate about those issues.

Good luck, Cat

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    I get the in-law thing lol
    When I told my in-laws DS got accepted into CTY they just said "Oh"

I know they just don't get it, that is sad though.

Feels so isolating right? We can't even share things with family. That is sad.

Sometimes I wonder if an element of competitiveness plays a role in some of the lukewarm responses. I'm only speculating here, but I've suspected it on occasion. For example, I know a parent who compares my son's abilities to those of his child. He often starts off by saying "she isn't as brilliant as your child, but...!"

It bothers me, and I don't really know what to do about it.

Val

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM