Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32
    A
    A
    Mom2MrQ - I wish that this was the case. Originally I had planned to homeschool during the summer (very casual, just a bit in the AM, beach in the afternoons) but 3 days ago I declared that we were all officially on summer vacation because I thought that my head was going to implode. Since then my DD6 has been cutting up fashion mags obsessively. Fashion magazines!!!! She found a pile for sale at our local library! It's making me crazy but my lips are sealed. She hasn't even been reading, which is very very out of character. Unless you consider the "top ten beauty tips for the fall of 2008" reading. She's 6 did I mention that? She's on some sort of learning/academic strike.

Annaliisa

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yikes!!! Teacher Meet-N-Greet is NEXT Tuesday!!! Man this school year is fast approaching for us!!!

Originally Posted by venture
    Mom2MrQ - If you had asked me this six months ago I'd totally agree, but lately it's the exact opposite. My DS is 6.5 (Dec baby) and in the last three months his enthusiasm has dropped.

My ds is 6.5 and a December baby, too.

We're hoping we can improve the situation before starting school in September, we're considering seeing a counselor even for a few sessions to assist with the transition.

That's quite a transition. A counselor would probably be a good idea just to help him along.

Originally Posted by annaliisa
    I wish that this was the case. Originally I had planned to homeschool during the summer (very casual, just a bit in the AM, beach in the afternoons) but 3 days ago I declared that we were all officially on summer vacation because I thought that my head was going to implode.

laugh I did the same thing! This is where I've seen the most growth in him, really. I decided that we would take a break for a week. "No, two weeks. Okay, three, but that's it." Here we are going into August and we're probably not going to get going again for two more weeks.

Since then my DD6 has been cutting up fashion mags obsessively. Fashion magazines!!!! She found a pile for sale at our local library! It's making me crazy but my lips are sealed. She hasn't even been reading, which is very very out of character. Unless you consider the "top ten beauty tips for the fall of 2008" reading. She's 6 did I mention that? She's on some sort of learning/academic strike.

My ds did this same sort of thing right after we stopped schooling at the end of June. He cut paper and crafted for two weeks, and then he moved on to building structures and making several "inventions" per day. He's now made his reentry into the world of books and has been reading a lot this week.

As I watched him cut, paste, color, and glue those first two weeks after we stopped school, and then later move on to the inventions, I realized that he really did need that time down to do whatever his mind could come up with each day. I could see his elation at being free to create whatever he wanted to create. A lot of learning took place this past month doing seemingly mindless activities. So, it's possible that this is really something that your daughter needs right now. Maybe she'll perk up again in a few weeks. smile

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    Yikes!!! Teacher Meet-N-Greet is NEXT Tuesday!!! Man this school year is fast approaching for us!!!

I just want to amen that! This summer has gone by faster than any other that I can recall.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    Originally Posted by venture
    Mom2MrQ - If you had asked me this six months ago I'd totally agree, but lately it's the exact opposite. My DS is 6.5 (Dec baby) and in the last three months his enthusiasm has dropped.

My ds is 6.5 and a December baby, too.

Aww, mine too! smile

G
    G
    A lot of learning took place this past month doing seemingly mindless activities.

This is what happened with us this summer, too. I intended to do some kind of math and other subject review a few hours a week, but dropped this idea because DS's time has been filled with "unschooling" types of learning. He's doing fabulous creative writing with all of his Harry Potter "wizard camp" ideas, inventing new things with his Legos, and constantly figuring out higher level math problems simply out of curiosity (how many hours in a week? How many days old is his brother? How many years ago was the Declaration of Independence signed?). After we've thrown in taekwondo/soccer/swimming (all using brainpower while learning new gross motor skills), 2 rounds of vacation bible school (character/friends), art camp (fine motor), science camp, and traveling, we've inadvertently filled the summer with lots of engaging activities without the tv/computer (yay!) or workbooks (double-yay!).

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    E
    Exo Offline
    E
    Hello! I thought I'd join up and introduce us.

We have DD6 who did K last year through our K12 charter school. Our plan initially was for her to do it for one year then go to the same school her older sister went to. K12 worked out really well for us so not only is DD6 sticking with it, but DD9 opted to leave her private school to school at home as well. We're taking it year by year at this point with both girls.

Originally Posted by mnmom23
    The one problem we're having is that when people ask him what grade he's going to be in next year, he always says second *and* third. Of course that always leads to a lot of questions for me, but to him that seems normal since year-before-last his sister did essentially do 2nd and 3rd grade together. I've told him just to say 2nd, but so far it's not working! smile I try not to call any attention to the fact that my kids' academic programs are different than the norm, although I will answer questions honestly but briefly when asked, but he's not helping! On the other hand, he's just stating fact when asked and not bragging, so maybe he's got it right?

DD6 finished K and 1st grade math, reading and phonics last year. She is aware that she is doing mostly 2nd grade work so when asked what grade she is in she will say "1st and 2nd". I let her go with it and deal with any possible responses because she is just stating a fact. We've had to deal with some issues similar to this with our older DD. DD9 is coming from a very egalitarian schooling environment with an emphasis on educational political correctness. It was literally, "Don't say X,Y or Z because you might hurt someones feelings.". We had to sit down and gauge which was worse: dealing with people's possible negative responses to a stated fact or dealing with the possible emotional and developmental consequences to our child when we downplayed the truth. We decided that our first priority was to our children. We can not control how people may react to a simple statement of fact but we can control how we model dealing with these situations to our children. This is still a hot-button issue for me though as I am just now coming out of that environment that said we basically needed to hide our DD's intelligence for fear of hurting the feelings of others. It did have an impact on DD9 who was convinced that no one knew she was smart and she lost faith in her educational environment because of it. Because of that experience we stick to the facts and let our kiddos choose how they identify. wink

M
    M
    Another 6.5 yr old here (early Jan. b-day)!

DS also seems to be a bit on strike. He's been much more interested in drawing and cutting this summer and his creations have been way more intricate, like many multi-headed Hydra, so I suppose it's just something he was ready to do. He's barely reading; he just wants us to read to him. I haven't been pushing it; I'm hoping that he'll get back to reading himself when he's ready.

He is in a full-day camp right now with tons of really cool stuff, so I'm guessing that's part of it.

I
    I
    This may be a little off-topic, because people are really talking more about academics ... but my dd who is only just 6 (summer birthday) has really surprised me this summer with her physical development. While not really delayed, I would previously have considered her average or slightly below in terms of coordination. She's been about on par with her highly athletic 4.5 yo sister.

However, this summer she has really clicked on so many physical things. I hope it doesn't sound like bragging, but I find it really exciting! She learned to ride a bike without training wheels, learned to swim across the deep end, jump and dive off the diving board and hit a tennis ball over the net. She couldn't do any of those things 3 months ago.

Her more cerebral passions (reading, legos, math) don't seem to have suffered, though we haven't seen any major leaps this summer. She did teach herself her multiplication tables because she said she's hoping, "we'll get to move on to some hard math this year in first grade." Fingers crossed... wink

Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM