Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    This is a spin-off from Bronxmom's thread where she commented on how hard it is when he already knows everything she introduces. I've been thinking along these lines as well. This year has turned into quite a skills year - lots of writing, grammar, spelling etc. I think DS needed it and his writing has really blossomed. But I feel I haven't succeeded in my goals for him in science and history. This is our 2nd year HSing and my 1st year HSing my 1st grader. I also have a 3yr old. It has been a challenging year trying to meet everyone's needs.

I combined the boys in chemistry but it hasn't been particularly challenging for DS9 except for having to write down definitions and summaries. I plan to add in McHenry's Elements to add in a bit of challenge for him. We got derailed in history due to changing my mind about the direction and whether to combine the two. He is being challenged in history by taking a course on Ancient India taught by an archaeologist.

DS did pretty well in reading on the Explore and I know I need to challenge him more in that area which will mainly be in history and science. It's hard to find the time to pre-read so we can have discussions at his level. Last summer I was so burned out, I needed a break and was in complete denial about adding DS6 to the mix. DS9 was soooo difficult last year after his horrible PS experience. This summer, I need to do as many do on the WTM boards and pre-read the books in the summer .... at least a quarter ahead.

lost my train of thought.....
    Dazey

Dazey - I'm tired just reading this - applause to you for what you are taking on!

I wonder if the class by the archaeologist could lead to other classes in other subjects? Is it time to hire a tutor in one or two areas?

What about online writing classes - I've heard great things about http://www.onlineg3.com/

Are there any local homeschool resources you could tap into?

Would the library have a book club?

CTY online classes?

Just some thoughts...

Can you set up DS9 to coach DS6? or the 3 year old?

What about a unit on 'Home Economics' so that they are very active in running the home?

Housefairy.org?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    OH and I failed to mention my house is on the market, had to put things in storage, and shopping for a new house....it's been crazy!! There isn't a lot around here for HSers... not many where I am. The archeologist does this out of someone's home twice per year. We did Bravewriter classes this Fall and those worked out well! If I hadn't all that writing wouldn't have gotten done. I"im not out-sourcing art. FOund a wonderful art teacher and he has made two wonderful projects. Those CTY online classes are soooo expensive!

I guess my question is, particularly kids who are advanced in verbal skills and reading.....challenging them seems more difficult than a kid who is very advanced in math. He could certainly handle middle school course work minus middle school writing volume, ha ha ha. I have a 1st and 4th grader but feel like I"m schooling a 3rd and a 6th grader or should be. My 1st grader is working up but I'm not sufficiently challenging my 4th grader. Today we watched a lecture by a Howard Hughes Medical INstitute professor on catalytic RNA. The lecture was given to high school students, mostly seniors it appears. Picture this...DD3 singing or talking or banging....DS6 asking every 5 minutes for me to define a term or explain what the professor is talking about, I am trying to engage DS9 about the lecture.... I think from now on, we'll watch those while DD is in the bath, DS6 will have to keep his questions to a minimum, and then he and I can discuss later. DS9 hates when I have to keep starting and stopping.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    What about online writing classes - I've heard great things about http://www.onlineg3.com/
    I do agree that from one point of view, it's harder for the humanities kids.

There is science here:
    http://www.khanacademy.org/

And of course, the teaching company DVDs.

Can you ask DS6 to take notes on his questions?

Have you seen - [DOC] The Online Bargain Basement at Hoagies gifted?

But - Wow! If I were you, I would consider a unit study on house hunting and decision theory.

That a lot of balls to juggle!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    I've been using these links to challenge DD7 with reading. She seems to like them and asked to do some today outside of our normal before bedtime routine.
    http://www.sowashco.k12.mn.us/ro/Pages/studentlinks/map/reading.htm

B
    B
    I was very interested in those Teaching Company DVDs... I remember when everything was on sale a few months ago. But then I decided they'd be way over his head. Maybe I was wrong. The kid craves content. He is interested in stuff like the history of religion. The other day I had to bring him to work so I downloaded Carl Sagan's Cosmos series from Netflix and streamed it onto a computer for him, then forgot about him. A few hours later, I looked over and saw the documentary was just Carl Sagan, circa 1979, standing there talking. My son was completely mesmerized.

Later that same day I tried to give him a 4th grade worksheet on classifying whales. He found an error on the page but otherwise ignored it. Certainly does suggest that I'm not challenging him enough.

Then last night, right after I posted about how little work he does, I called home to check on the kids and he told me he was working on some chemical equations, which turned out to be true.

So when I said he knows "everything" I mean he knows "stuff"-- his brain is stuffed with mostly useless information-- he is apparently capable of understanding adult-level concepts but he has no interest in academic skills.

I also have a little one (almost two) and I'm sure that makes the whole thing exponentially harder.

For me, the best bet has been to go to the library and just let the 7yo do whatever he wants. I guess the key is to surround him with information worth seeking out.

We're big fans of surrounding ourselves with interesting stuff to learn and then picking what we're in the mood for. It's a pretty effective strategy for a lot of HG+ kids, I think. I think that's smart of you.

Your DS is 7. Mine is 8. Academic skills will come for them. I regularly remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. DS doesn't have to master every school skill right *now*. He just needs to learn and to enjoy learning. Especially the first year of homeschooling.

Unless you plan to put him back in a traditional school next year, don't worry so much about academic skills. Make sure he's enjoying what he's doing--and by that, I do not mean that everything is a game or that you're entertaining him; I mean that he's invested in learning and that you're not having to yell at him--and that he's finding some challenge.

When we were potty-training DS and having typical ups and downs, a very smart person told me that when you get stressed over these sorts of things, you have to remind yourself that your child will not go to college in a diaper. I think the same logic should apply to academic skills. If he were 14 and resisting doing work that wasn't appealing to him, that's something to worry about. But at 7? I think he's not going to go to college in a diaper. wink

Kriston
    I'm going to put a sign over my desk that says.... "He's not going to college in a Diaper!" Talk about pulling someone off the ledge, that's perfect!

I have a really good story about stuff lying around. We had a stillborn Guinea pig at the school last week. DS apparently wanted to know why. He went to the book shelf and pulled down an anatomy book. Gave himself a first class education in the birds, the bees, and everything in between.

Later that evening, my DP was kissing on him and he said "enough already". She told him that it was her right as his Momma to kiss on him all she wanted.... He very carefully pulled away enough so that he could look at her and said "Well, actually according to my research....... He went on to explain the entire reproductive process. DP was initially crushed at being demoted from "Momma" until he justified his dissertation with "but I understand that you CAN be a Momma without actually giving birth which is good since I like having you as my Momma". At that point all was forgiven and I was no longer in hot water for giving him access to the book in question.

Just something to consider when laying stuff around....

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    OP Offline
    Shari - that's too funny!

Yes I definitely agree that academic skills will come in time. My DS is a rising 5th grader so I felt it was time for a good skills years. Our original plan was to put him back at Middle School which means one more year at home. His writing has made huge leaps and he enjoys writing now! I don't regret that focus but due to multiple kids, etc, it came at a sacrifice of other things.

Dazey

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I regularly remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. DS doesn't have to master every school skill right *now*. He just needs to learn and to enjoy learning. Especially the first year of homeschooling.

What Kriston said! I know exactly what you're saying, and I'm finding us with a few holes here at the end of the year. I think about homeschooling in terms of input, not output. As long as they are exposed to a broad base of things over the course of the year and are challenged SOMEWHERE (doesn't need to be everywhere), I feel like we're doing ok.

I've had some long conversations lately with people who have been homeschooling for a while (this is our 2nd year, and 1st year with both kids so we're still feeling a little new too). All of them has said they have better and worse years. They patch holes with enrichment classes or by doing a run of a certain area. I think the same thing happens at school too. It definitely is a marathon and not a sprint. It sounds like you have your hands extra full with a move so try to give yourself a break! Keep lots of books available, and do some outings! Sounds to me like you're doing great! smile

I was also going to say, even in 2 years time my DS has gotten way better with the work on his own, writing, creating his own work angle. So hang in there on that! He still has a ways to go. And I try not to require more than age appropriate output (unless he really wants to, which is true sometimes).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM