I obviously missed Grinity's earlier thread about this, because DH and I were discussing this issue just about 10 minutes ago and it has been driving us crazy.
Learningmom, our DD has the same problem with her 2nd grade teachers. They are stuck on her having to do every piece of 2nd grade work the rest of the class does because they don't want to send her on with holes and then are giving her enrichment work as extra work for homework. (She too reads at above a 5th grade level and is way beyond 2nd grade math, but is not a "mathy".) She loves the enrichment work, but is miserable with the other stuff.
They are also adamant about her being successful with Rocket Math (speed math of simple addition and subtraction facts) (read this as catching up and passing all other ND 2nd graders crazy ) before allowing her to do higher level math.
After one night of being tired of listening to DD complain that math was too easy, I suggested she ask for multiplication or division for homework rather than yet another page of 4 + 6 digit addition and subtraction (the teacher's solution to DD's earlier complaint that the math was too easy). Well, the teacher got defensive to this request and sent home multiplication and division way beyond DD and she was in tears all the way home from school about how she thought she knew how to divide, but she has no idea how to do the stuff the teacher sent home so she must not know anything, etc. etc.,etc.
To try to improve the situation of the speed math I tried today to get her to work on memorizing the addition facts and it ended in tears again. (I can't do this, memorizing is too hard.) confused

How do you sit through the Goldilocks traumas and not lose it? I have no patience for that sort of thing, and DH has less.