Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 50 of 76 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 75 76
    S
    S
    I think it would be good to email her Kriston. Teachers need those "keep up the good work" comments. Of course that reminds me of when I told DS's teacher that I was really happy she had given DS some double digit multiplication and about how excited he was when he told me about it. That was awkward because it apparently never happened and he made it up as it was something he wished could have happened. He had never made up stories like that before so I was shocked. Boy was I confused and embarrassed in front of a group of people in a meeting when I excitedly told her about it. I was trying to be positive. Oh well. But now she does give him double and triple digit multiplication for homework so we have made much progress. : )

DS5 told me yesterday that he was talking to his teacher and told her how he likes to do algebra. He said that she was surprised by that when he told her. I was glad he felt comfortable telling her that. He loves for me to give him verbal algebra problems when we are driving in the car. His class is still doing tally marks. They have been working on tally marks for almost 2 months. I am shocked as I had no idea that tally marks was such a big deal in life. Although I used them today for something at worked and laughed to myself as I used them. I am so thankful that they agreed to not have him do that homework. I am betting he still does a lot of that stuff in the classroom but we are working on it. They definitely allow him to skip some of it and go on his computer program instead during math and reading. That is a great step in the right direction.

M
    M
    Jamie: Sounds like a nightmare. I'd go talk to this sub today. Who knows whether she'll be around tomorrow.

J
    J
    I called back. The counselor said that they put him in another kindergarten classroom and he got out of the chair and tried to run back to his room. They put him in another kindergarten classroom and he's sitting there doing some work. She said if that doesn't work they're going to put him in a 1st grade class with a teacher that means business. She said "we're not manhandling him but..." which didn't sit right with me at all.

She said that if I go get him it'll only show him that he can act like this and go home and that's what he wants. School ends in less than an hour and a half so I'll just wait but if all of this is because he wants to come home so bad that makes me believe that things at school are worse than I thought for him frown

J
    J
    Tally marks? What are they learning about them?

I
    I
    Jamie B -- I have no answers but wanted you to know I am thinking of you and sending virtual hugs your way.

J
    J
    Thanks!

I just read your post, Jamie. How is he doing? Any news from the school? Is he actually suspended? I'm appalled! He's 5! WTH! frown

Hang in there. {{{Hugs}}}

BTW, I'm sending a short "thank you" e-mail that tells the teacher how happy DS5 was when he got off the bus yesterday. Hopefully the multiplication really happened--my son is not immune from storytelling either, so hopefully this is true!--and hopefully I'm wording the note well. I think focusing on DS5's emotions is the way to go.

Kriston
    J
    J
    Thanks. He's not suspended but he has behavior clinic on Thursday (not sure if I mentioned that). He said that all of the kids were talking in line and were told to be quiet but he kept talking. Then a teacher grabbed him and pulled him to the front of the line and he kept pulling away so they took him to the principal. Once he realized he was going there and wouldn't be getting a good conduct grade he threw a fit.

I know that he has to listen but it seems a little harsh. Now that he's home he's running a pretty high fever so that could have been part of his meltdown. I'm thinking about calling the school to let them know tomorrow.

J
    J
    Good idea emailing the teacher! Maybe you can ask her what kinds of things she'll have him doing or offer suggestions?

K
    K
    That school sounds over the top. I understand that gifted or not behavior problems need to be worked with, believe me we've had our fair share already, but they need to ber reasonable and work with you and your son.

I'm sorry, I hope things get better, what a horrible introduction to school.

Page 50 of 76 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM