Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    L
    Back in the dark ages I took college classes before finishing high school. I essentially did it instead of finishing high school. Without a high school diploma they had me take a series of exams to show basic knowledge to see what I qualified to take for credit. Once completed I was allowed to matriculate and register like everyone else. That was at a community college so I don't know it that is relevant to you. I loved it!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by lanfan
    Back in the dark ages I took college classes before finishing high school. I essentially did it instead of finishing high school. [...] I loved it!
    Hopefully we still have several years before we're facing this issue square on, but it's nonetheless a very pertinent topic of conversation right now.

How old were you when you started taking the college course(s) and how long until you started full time? Did you find many kids your own age? And if not, how well were you received by the older kids?

I've been reading a bunch of the heady research on this, but am ready for some anecdotal info now.

Thanks!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    L
    L
    I absolutely hated high school and the community college classes were like heaven to me. I started at 16 and made friends who were a year or two older than me. Some of the high school seniors from my high school took classes as well. These were supplements or replacements for kids who were going to finish high school. I started full time right away. If I remember correctly I had to take one math class that was non credit since I had not completed trig yet but other than that I was in college. I had some other issues going on - family stuff - and did not end up finishing college any earlier than if I had stayed in high school but I did very easily transfer to an excellent four year university and then on to graduate school. I think the rule was that once you had at least 30 college credits you could apply to a four year college without a high school transcript. I never got a high school diploma...and it never mattered.

P
    pelsteen
    Unregistered
    pelsteen
    Unregistered
    P
    Also in the dark ages, I had all I needed to graduate from high school except one year of English and one year of Gym class. The high school canceled all of the AP classes. Thus, I enrolled in the local state university on the basis of great 11th grade SAT scores and showed up only enough to fulfill the requirements for the two classes. First semester, I took French advanced grammar and composition, introductory Biology, and second semester calculus. Second semester, I took an advanced French literature course conducted entirely in French, with fellow students who were seniors or graduate students. I took Microbiology with juniors and seniors, and third semester calculus.

The following year, I went away to Harvard, which gave me no credit for any of my previous college courses, and where I had to argue for appropriate placement. The French department adviser wanted me to take a 4th semester language course,so in fluent French, I told her it would be useless - and I never took any more French classes. I talked my way, over the adviser's objections, into fourth semester calculus. I took a more advanced general biology class, and advanced general Chemistry and Physics there. Thus it was an advantage in the end, even without credit.

My daughter is 11 now and two years ago in 5th grade her ACT composite score was 19. She may start her first college course when she is in 9th grade. We will have to look at our options at that time.

D
    D
    @pelsteen & @lanfan:

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I had no idea what things were like back in the "dark ages," and it gives me hope for the future.

I've been reading more & more about specialized early-entrance programs at many universities designed to provide enhanced support to the younger college students -- and these look quite promising.

Our son is slated for HS graduation at 15 or 16 and I'm working hard to wrap my mind comfortably around that concept so that I don't spend the next several years doubting our current decision to skip another grade.

L
    L
    Just as an aside I think many kids would benefit from beginning college at 16 instead of sticking around in high school. The social environment in more forgiving and the classes are more interesting. I am certainly not PG and neither are my kids but I assume they would benefit. I have often wondered about the wisdom of AP classes in general. Why not just take the actual college courses and get the actual college credits. I tend to think it has more to do with state politics and funding than it does with kids.

Originally Posted by CFK
    I've been trying to break them, just haven't had luck yet! I've talked to the two universities within commuting distance. Neither will enroll for credit without requisite number of high school credits already in his pocket (which he doesn't have). As for auditing, they've both said that age/grade is not as important as prerequisites. I think we will try the auditing route and then if it goes well, try again to enroll for credit after he's proven himself with the institution.

Is there a way to 'go fast' through the prerequesite classes using online courses? Sometimes courses are designed for kids who took the class once and flunked to 'get up to speed quickly' - I think the catchphrase is 'credit recovery' - not very deep, but designed to get kids their credentials quickly.

I don't think that it is a nescessity, but if it helps, why not?

Smiles,
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    DS is 10...and his situation at the moment is extremely sweet. [...] I want to bask in that warmth for a bit before considering the scary "g" word (graduation).

You have a little time to bask! For us the scary "g" word did not come up until after the scarier "p" word (puberty)! 10 year olds take kindly to mom telling then what's what. Almost 13 year olds - not so much!

Oh, gee. Thanks for adding something else to my list of concerns.

Although, considering how little he appreciates my advice now (@ 8yrs), I certainly hope it can't get much worse after "p" arrives. Delusional, I know -- but one can hope, right?

Hi Dandy,
    How close is your DS to age 9? I found that DS had a 'mini-puberty' at age 9. Mostly mental, but some physical changes (odor) as well.

The problem with 'p' is that DS is just as unimpressed with my advice as always, but he acts much less wise. So in the 8-11 years, I could ask a few pointed questions and DS would head in the right direction, by consensus.

Now, DS13 really does appear 'stupider'than he used to be in many basic life skills. I figure that the hormonal changes are a bit like having a buzzing flourescent lightbulb that is constantly driving DS to the edge misery. I'm still hoping that it will calm down soon.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    How close is your DS to age 9? I found that DS had a 'mini-puberty' at age 9.
    He just turned 8 last month.

But his "Dad-knows-nothing" attitude has been present since birth.

My work-around has simply been to have any ideas proffered by teachers. So far this has worked quite well, especially for "character-building" exercises.

Last week I tried to teach him a short-cut in math... which he characteristically refused to implement. The homework task took about three times longer as a result, with plenty of errors.

His teacher, helping him with the issue, offered the same hint a couple days back and *gasp* it was the best advice in the world. DS implemented the strategy, saved time, reduced errors, solved world hunger, etc.

When I asked him about it last night, he said, "No comment, Dad!"

Ha-ha on him. But as long as he learns & improves, I don't really care who the teacher is.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM