Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Can anyone recommend a video to teach math facts? (I'm thinking beyond School House Rock - mainly multiplication and division facts through 12).

My DD9 memorizes whole scenes of dialog from Harry Potter movies, and recites monologues from cartoons she's seen once, but can't seem to get those math facts down!

OliEli's Mom
    Khan academy (online YouTube videos) has multiplication videos although we haven't watched them yet. That is something to look into. Also TimezAttack is a great way to learn the multiplication tables. I don't know of any School House Rock style video unfortunately.

Hope that helps.

JB

M
    M
    My DS7 can remember the most amazing facts from books we read years ago, however, he has trouble remembering math facts. He has no problem whatsoever with doing math problems, it's just the math facts that seem painful to him. This is a problem because he wants to keep learning more advanced math (gets bored easily), but not knowing his facts well is weighing him down.

I just bought a new book that teaches multiplication facts as stories. It is amazing how much he looks forward to working on his facts now! And, he is remembering them with just one exposure. It is called Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables by Alan Walker. It's hard to explain, but it is kind of like this:

Tree x Tree = Sign

The trees are threes and the sign is nine. My son thinks this is hysterical and loves all the puns interwoven in the stories.

I've heard a version is also available for addition.

OP Offline
    What quick and helpful feedback! Thank you JBDad & Movingup6... I think we'll try TimezAttack and look for the Alan Walker book, and also take a look at the YouTube offerings...

all best,

OliEli's Mom
    For memorization: Times Tales and TimezAttack. Both are good for visual spatial learners.

Just recycling what I discovered from here smile. Btw if you have a very mathy kid I do recommend Khan's academy. Go directly to their website because it's much better organized there as opposed to YouTube. I think the address is khansacademy.com but if you google it, it'll be obvious which website is the correct one.

JB

B
    B
    My kids use FlashMasters in school (like handheld electronic flash cards) but WAY more fun. I bought one for home and my daughter plays it like it's a video game. (Not a video, but equally as entertaining.) it has addition, subtraction, mult. and division facts on it. It can do timed tests, no time, # tables, random questions, etc. It grades you too. Well worth it. I picked one up slightly used on eb@y.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM