Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: OliEli's Mom video for math fact memorization? - 09/30/09 06:36 PM
Can anyone recommend a video to teach math facts? (I'm thinking beyond School House Rock - mainly multiplication and division facts through 12).

My DD9 memorizes whole scenes of dialog from Harry Potter movies, and recites monologues from cartoons she's seen once, but can't seem to get those math facts down!
Posted By: JBDad Re: video for math fact memorization? - 09/30/09 06:43 PM
Khan academy (online YouTube videos) has multiplication videos although we haven't watched them yet. That is something to look into. Also TimezAttack is a great way to learn the multiplication tables. I don't know of any School House Rock style video unfortunately.

Hope that helps.

JB
Posted By: Movingup6 Re: video for math fact memorization? - 09/30/09 06:56 PM
My DS7 can remember the most amazing facts from books we read years ago, however, he has trouble remembering math facts. He has no problem whatsoever with doing math problems, it's just the math facts that seem painful to him. This is a problem because he wants to keep learning more advanced math (gets bored easily), but not knowing his facts well is weighing him down.

I just bought a new book that teaches multiplication facts as stories. It is amazing how much he looks forward to working on his facts now! And, he is remembering them with just one exposure. It is called Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables by Alan Walker. It's hard to explain, but it is kind of like this:

Tree x Tree = Sign

The trees are threes and the sign is nine. My son thinks this is hysterical and loves all the puns interwoven in the stories.

I've heard a version is also available for addition.
Posted By: OliEli's Mom Re: video for math fact memorization? - 09/30/09 07:01 PM
What quick and helpful feedback! Thank you JBDad & Movingup6... I think we'll try TimezAttack and look for the Alan Walker book, and also take a look at the YouTube offerings...

all best,
Posted By: Elisa Re: video for math fact memorization? - 09/30/09 08:55 PM
For memorization: Times Tales and TimezAttack. Both are good for visual spatial learners.
Posted By: JBDad Re: video for math fact memorization? - 09/30/09 08:58 PM
Just recycling what I discovered from here smile. Btw if you have a very mathy kid I do recommend Khan's academy. Go directly to their website because it's much better organized there as opposed to YouTube. I think the address is khansacademy.com but if you google it, it'll be obvious which website is the correct one.

JB
Posted By: bh14 Re: video for math fact memorization? - 10/01/09 01:13 AM
My kids use FlashMasters in school (like handheld electronic flash cards) but WAY more fun. I bought one for home and my daughter plays it like it's a video game. (Not a video, but equally as entertaining.) it has addition, subtraction, mult. and division facts on it. It can do timed tests, no time, # tables, random questions, etc. It grades you too. Well worth it. I picked one up slightly used on eb@y.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum