Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    I am having a hard time with my daughter's math teacher. Math curriculum not challenging at all even though she is moved up for math. We had a conferance to discuss my issues and I mentioned to the teacher that my daughter had already completed 3rd grade math with John Hopkins during summer. Her response "Does she ever play?" I got another teacher in the upper grades (actually the head of the math department for middle school) to mentor my child and provide her with some fun, challenging work (which by the way she loves to do). Now her teacher is upset because my daughter is getting an unfair advantage over the other kids by getting this extra work!!

Sorry, just had to vent!! How sad is this?

Mia Offline
    "Now her teacher is upset because my daughter is getting an unfair advantage over the other kids by getting this extra work!!"

Are you kidding? The other kids probably aren't *capable* of doing the extra work!

I like the physical development metaphor. We don't tell 9-month-old walkers to sit and wait until the other babies are walking, too. That would be ridiculous. Same goes for learning (or it should)-- why on earth should your dd have to wait until the other kids have caught up? That's wasted time, and to be honest, they may not *ever* catch up.

Sorry you're going through this; it *is* sad.

Mia
    OP Offline

Thank you Mia. I have decided that I can live with my daughter's teacher being upset. For as long as the other teacher is willing to mentor my daughter, I will accept his help.

Yeah! What Mia said!

Kriston
    My, I should PM you "our" math story.
    Check out www.mathkangaroo.org and sign her up if it is in your area. If no, just print old tests for her grade level and enjoy!

Originally Posted by bianc850a
    I am having a hard time with my daughter's math teacher. Math curriculum not challenging at all even though she is moved up for math. We had a conferance to discuss my issues and I mentioned to the teacher that my daughter had already completed 3rd grade math with John Hopkins during summer. Her response "Does she ever play?" I got another teacher in the upper grades (actually the head of the math department for middle school) to mentor my child and provide her with some fun, challenging work (which by the way she loves to do). Now her teacher is upset because my daughter is getting an unfair advantage over the other kids by getting this extra work!!

Sorry, just had to vent!! How sad is this?

Bianca,
    This breaks my heart!
    I'm so sorry she was rude to you. It was so uncalled for.
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I just hate hearing this kind of story. It makes my heart sink. At least you're not alone here! As long as you're strong and continue to advocate for your child (with teachers, admin, any one else who makes snide remarks) and try to find the right opportunities for your child, try not to worry about others' opinions--maybe you'll end up changing them. Online courses, tutors/mentors, competitions...you're doing the right stuff. Then when he can test or place out of high school credits, or win competitions, no one will give you grief.

OP Offline
    Hi Ania,

Please do tell us your math story!!!

Thank you all for your support.

OP Offline
    My daughter is gettin an IEP!!

I had a meeting with my daughter's math teacher today. It appears that the head of school, the head of the math department and herself had met and decided that my DD did indeed needs a specialized plan to meet her needs in math!!!

Originally Posted by bianc850a
    My daughter is gettin an IEP!!

I had a meeting with my daughter's math teacher today. It appears that the head of school, the head of the math department and herself had met and decided that my DD did indeed needs a specialized plan to meet her needs in math!!!
    Oh Bianc-a!
    this is very good news. I'm so glad you said something. (((big grin)))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM