Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 34 of 76 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 75 76
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yes, they will (or at least they are supposed to!!!).

I
    I
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    And they did ask for resources and ideas, which made me feel good.
    Our school has this computer program which allows children to work at their individual levels. It may be worth looking into:
    http://www.studyisland.com/

Grinity, I loved how you explained the partition trick. Adding it to the Quote page so I can find it the next time I need it!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    There were several disconcerting statements such as "boredom is a choice." and "we are not required to meet the needs of a profoundly gifted child" and so on.

Boredom is a choice! My mum used to use that one whenever I was moping around going - I'm bored. At home - fair enough we always had books to read and games to play but in the school environment it's not as if you can just wander off and pick up a book of your choice (although DS used to do this on a regular basis and when I got to school I was met with "Tigger chose not to take part in class today and just sat in the reading corner with a book"!)- but generally they are expected to comply and join in with the class so how can it be a choice!

And as for not being required to meet the needs.... eh - I thought it was law that the education needs of all children be met (including PG)

Hope it gets better - it did for us, we moved school where they at least try to meet his needs.

But they must have had a slack day today, (which is ok it is the last day of term) as DS has come home and got stuck into one of his computer games(gives questions on school curriculum based topics in reward for games - he skips the games to do more questions, sad kid LOL)

Originally Posted by Jamie B
    DSs gifted teacher called me today. She said she can't make the meeting on Monday but really wanted to talk to me. She said that she's been teaching gifted for over 30 years and has seen many gifted kids and that his problems with focusing are very troublesome. She said that she can't tell me to take him to a doctor but that if she were me she would. She didn't mention him jumping around and stuff like his teacher though. She said that the slightest thing makes him completely lose his train of thought. She said they were coloring a whale today and he had to get up three times to walk around so that he could focus again.

I think that I'll take him to another doctor. His pedi saw him but doesn't specialize in that so I guess I need another opinion. I've noticed it at home and I thought it was bad but he's my only child
    hugs dear....i hAte those phone calls. Have you read Webb's Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis book. I strongly reccomend that u read it before Mondays meeting if possible. There is a chapter on ADHD. I would also spend time afterschooling this week and see if the walking around continues when he is working inside his 'readiness level.' Does he get distracted even with u right there under every circumstance or just some circumstances. If you can go into the meeting knowing ur child as a learner then u will be in a stronger position to get their help. I wish I had advice for handling XH but I dont. What happens if u step back and ask the school to deal with him independently? As for the 30 years bit,dont let that impress u if you child happens to be at the more unusual levels of giftedness. Sorry but I've forgotten if ur son hit several ceilings on his testing. love and more love grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    ((((hugs)))) I agree with Grinity that you should be prepared to explain how ADHD and giftedness get confused sometimes. But if you have noticed some behaviors at home that you wonder about, maybe it is a good time to see a psychologist; if you can, find one who specializes in 2E kids. There's a chart somewhere showing the similarities between gifted/ADHD. I have to run, but I'll try to post it later if no one beats me to it.

Also, I agree with Grinity to ignore the "i've been teaching gifted for 30 years." I actually like our school district's gifted coordinator, but she says some things I don't agree with (e.g. she doesn't like whole-grade acceleration).

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/25/09 07:06 AM.
    S
    S
    Yay, the principal emailed me a program this morning that the school is going to use as a free trial and possibly purchase to use with DS5 at school for Math and Reading. I am excited about it because surprisingly, they seem to be moving quickly. I am hopeful that he will still get some one on one instruction and do things with older peers, but this is a great start.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    great news shellymos!!!

I
    I
    Thanks for sharing the good news shellymos! Please keep us updated when you have more details about the program and how it's working out. smile

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    DSs gifted teacher called me today. She said she can't make the meeting on Monday but really wanted to talk to me. She said that she's been teaching gifted for over 30 years and has seen many gifted kids and that his problems with focusing are very troublesome. She said that she can't tell me to take him to a doctor but that if she were me she would. She didn't mention him jumping around and stuff like his teacher though. She said that the slightest thing makes him completely lose his train of thought. She said they were coloring a whale today and he had to get up three times to walk around so that he could focus again.

I think that I'll take him to another doctor. His pedi saw him but doesn't specialize in that so I guess I need another opinion. I've noticed it at home and I thought it was bad but he's my only child
    hugs dear....i hAte those phone calls. Have you read Webb's Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis book. I strongly reccomend that u read it before Mondays meeting if possible. There is a chapter on ADHD. I would also spend time afterschooling this week and see if the walking around continues when he is working inside his 'readiness level.' Does he get distracted even with u right there under every circumstance or just some circumstances. If you can go into the meeting knowing ur child as a learner then u will be in a stronger position to get their help. I wish I had advice for handling XH but I dont. What happens if u step back and ask the school to deal with him independently? As for the 30 years bit,dont let that impress u if you child happens to be at the more unusual levels of giftedness. Sorry but I've forgotten if ur son hit several ceilings on his testing. love and more love grinity
    I haven't read the book and it's not at our library. I'll see what I can find online.

I do afterschool him pretty often and for the most part he can focus. He does get up and take lots of breaks when we do it though. I'd say every 5 minutes or so I have to get him back on task. But sometimes he can focus forever. It just depends on what's going on.

We have had problems at home with him focusing. If I need to tell him something a lot of times I have to sit in front of him and make sure he's looking directly at me with nothing else going on or he won't hear me. And if he waits one minute to do what I ask he forgets what he's supposed to do.

I'm not sure if he hit the ceilings or not. I don't know much about what the scores mean but I don't think that he did.

I'm going off to search the Internet for misdiagnosis. Thanks!

J
    J
    I also wanted to add that up until a few months ago I wouldn't even have considered taking him to a doctor but one of the things he does that worries me has gotten worse. He can't get a sentence out. We've been working on it but it seems like it's only getting worse. I've had him sit quietly and think about the sentence that he wants to say and he still can't do it. He says "um" and pauses forever. Sometimes it will take him 5 or 10 minutes to get out what he's trying to say.

Page 34 of 76 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM