Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Thanks. smile I laugh every time I think about the dubious look on the kid's face. 5.5 years later, and I still laugh out loud when I think of it!

Kriston
    Kriston #55534 09/16/09 05:20 AM
    N
    N
    I want to make a quick plug for early, basic disclosure. I tend to think that the more casually you talk about it, the better--and being able to talk about it casually when they are older starts by being able to talk about it casually when they are younger. You don't have to dump the whole thing on them, but IMHO a child should at least know the very basic facts of life as soon as they are interested in learning about other basic bodily functions. It is a normal, natural function, and tiptoeing around it or hiding it doesn't preserve innocence, but does introduce the concept of shame once they figure out that you've explained everything else but that. frown

no5no5 #55535 09/16/09 05:36 AM
    C
    C
    I agree with everyone else about not tiptoeing around this - no way would I avoid books or pages about this! Your DS might find Mummy Laid An Egg too babyish, but if not, I recommend it. Actually this is one of the many areas where David Attenborough Life series DVDs have been very helpful - having DS know about how sexual reproduction evolved and e.g. about how scorpions do it is useful background for talking about humans. Life on Earth and Trials of Life are both very good for this (and lots else).

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    ColinsMum #55538 09/16/09 06:21 AM
    my dd, by poolside, looking intently at a ring and torpedo toy.

"Oh, now I get it"

bianc850a #55547 09/16/09 07:48 AM
    O
    O
    I have been wondering about all the birds and bees stuff. In a year or two my son will be taught about it at school. It doesn't seem right to me to just leave it to the school. I have been avoiding books with such discussion because I've been thinking they are too young. But recently, I'm rethinking this.
    I recently came across an osborne book on butterflies that I had tucked away. It discusses mating and that might be a nice thing to leave around. I am also going to let my kids know they can talk to me about anything they see in a book.

Has anybody found any books on talking to your kids about the birds and the bees? or websites? I want to try and stay one step. ahead.

Kriston #55548 09/16/09 08:14 AM
    M
    M
    Another funny...We were at a new produce market last week, and the clerk, while friendly, was one of those people who think they need to give everybody unasked-for personal advice: "Oh, three boys--you need to have a girl next! Everyone needs a girl...etc etc etc..." (though I think anyone looking at me would realize that the clock has obviously run out on any more children--I get mistaken for their grandmother nine times out of ten)..."and the way you have a girl is to eat lots and lots of avocados and carrots," says she.

Says Chico (4), "no, no, the way you have a girl has nothing to do with what the mother eats, since she has the eggs. It's the daddy's sperm that makes the baby either a boy or a girl." Clerk falls silent, I pay for my fruit, and off we go.

peace
    minnie

bianc850a #55552 09/16/09 08:36 AM
    Originally Posted by bianc850a
    my dd, by poolside, looking intently at a ring and torpedo toy.

"Oh, now I get it"

LOL!

JB

O
    O
    minniemarx - great story! My kids take lots of stuff so literally too.

Niece, 6 years old, comes to visit.

She sees bulls doing what bulls do.

"What is that they are doing?" she asks a female friend who has graduate ag degree.

Female friend goes into long explanation.

A week later I get a call from my sister, asking "EXACTLY what did J tell K?"

Turns out niece got home, mom was preg, and proceeded to ask her "Mommy, did daddy mount you?"

Last edited by Austin; 09/16/09 10:02 AM.
    Austin #55574 09/16/09 11:26 AM
    B
    B
    I second JB Dad's recommendation of It's So Amazing. It goes through anatomy, the sperm-meets-egg bit, fetal development, birth, etc., but totally glosses over how *exactly* the sperm gets into the egg's neighborhood, so to speak. There is one drawing, IIRC, of a man and woman in bed under a blanket, and that's it.

Another aspect of the book that I really appreciated was its openness to *all* kinds of love, and pointing out that that kind of relationship is different from a sibling relationship or friendship, etc. The illustrations also include people from all walks of life, not just healthy white beautiful middle-class heterosexual Christians.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM