Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 17 of 76 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 75 76
    E
    E
    1st, I agree with everything Kriston said

2nd, I also agree that it is confusing about what is meant by the "learn to read year". shellymos, were you saying that in your district Kinder = letters and phonics and sight words (prereading), 1st = more complex reading (sentences) and spelling?

I am not sure where our school is on this continuum. I think it may be as you described. I think the major distinction I was trying to make earlier is that in some schools (and in years past) Kinder is just for play based activities, getting a long in a group etc., learning to be away from parents etc. In which case it could be easier to accomodate the whole range of LOGs because the focus of the class would not be academic activities. (as opposed to shoe tying, cooking, dress-up, sing-alongs, and whatever else they do in play based programs)

But when the emphasis is to teach prereading and/or reading there is going to be a huge range of kids with regards to prior experience and ability. As we can imagine, some may not know their letters at all, others may be reading years ahead, and everything in between. And that is when the problems might come up for some kids...

Originally Posted by shellymos
    See here is where I am confused. I completely get this....but then I wonder if it is a grade where they learn their letters and phonics then that would clearly be bad as well.

So, I agree with you too. Either K or 1st could be bad.

In our case, I am waiting to see how high my son's tolerance is for "A is for apple". I also need to find out if they will get put in groups for reading (prereading) given the fact that they have more kids in the class than usual. I don't know if Mrs. Teacher has the capacity.

In a way I wish they didn't even bother to teach reading! see next post...

Happy news! I just found out that DS5's favorite person from preschool is in his kindergarten class. He was so happy he screamed! (He has a crush on this little curly-haired girl. Kind of like Charlie Brown and his little red-headed girl...)

Based on the gifted coordinator's advice, the principal said that I could suggest a kid DS knows well to be in the same class with him to make him feel more comfortable. The particular friend we discussed has older gifted siblings, and the principal did place him in DS's class too. Yay! I put the little curly-haired girl on the request form as an afterthought, without discussing it with anyone, and not really expecting her to be placed in the same class too. (There are several kindy classes.) Sometimes all you have to do is ask! yippee!

Still 2 weeks away from start of school here...

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I'm doing my best to hold off on worrying until after testing, E&W. Not that testing doesn't have it's own potential pitfalls...(1)

Do you have ideas about what to do for your DS if the school situation he's in now is not a good fit, whether advocacy, another school, or homeschooling?(2)

That's where I'm at: keeping my options open. I'm watching and staying positive about the school situation as it is, even as I consider other options in case it doesn't go well.(3)

...But then I also worry that I'm being paranoid, and he's just a normal kid. I don't want to be one of "those" moms. eek (4)

short replies. more later
    1- true. when will you test? we will probably wait until closer to 6 yrs, late winter early spring.
    2- we are on the wait list for charter public school that is very near current school. philosophy incorporates NVC (nonviolent communication) and borrows from montessori and waldorf they do not teach reading in K (but won't squelch a kid who is reading already). that is loooking very appealing right now. so much to learn about science,nature,culture etc. why emphasize reading, which I'd rather him do at his own pace anyway? more natural.
    we are trying to move in the next few months. have alreay researched the situation where we are going. more on that later
    3&4- me too! ha!

E
    E
    congrats! 2 weeks away, wow. seems like a long time to wait. hope you and your ds are enjoying your summer!

Oops. One week away! Silly me. Still kind of far away. It's MN dontcha know. We can't possibly have school start before the state fair ends!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Happy news! I just found out that DS5's favorite person from preschool is in his kindergarten class. He was so happy he screamed! (He has a crush on this little curly-haired girl. Kind of like Charlie Brown and his little red-headed girl...)

Yay! That's really cool. We don't know any kids in DS's class yet...or in the school. Actually we met a neighbor who is 2 years older than DS and will be in the grade above him and they will be at the same bus stop together. Hopefully that will go well. They played together the other day and seemed to get along.

Originally Posted by EastnWest
    short replies. more later
    1- true. when will you test? we will probably wait until closer to 6 yrs, late winter early spring.
    2- we are on the wait list for charter public school that is very near current school. philosophy incorporates NVC (nonviolent communication) and borrows from montessori and waldorf they do not teach reading in K (but won't squelch a kid who is reading already). that is loooking very appealing right now. so much to learn about science,nature,culture etc. why emphasize reading, which I'd rather him do at his own pace anyway? more natural.
    we are trying to move in the next few months. have alreay researched the situation where we are going. more on that later
    3&4- me too! ha!

I'm debating about requesting that he be tested by the school in the fall instead of waiting until the spring. (He'll take the WISC when he turns 6 in the late spring with a private tester.)

The school only tests twice per year, giving kids the the WJ achievement and the Cogat. Part of me thinks that if the school fit is bad, it might actually hurt his scores, and I'd kind of like to see where he is with a more or less blank slate. Also, if he does have some sort of LD, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.

The danger is that I'll come off as pushy before the teacher has a chance to get to know him. DS8 was IDd as GT in the spring by his K teacher without my requesting testing, and that was a good situation.

I figured from a previous post that you were thinking of moving/planning to move. That sure throws a wrench in the works, I'll bet!

Kriston
    Oh, and yay for the little curly-haired girl! smile (I just typo'd "the little curly-hared girl, which would be a very different thing! LOL!)

DS5 has a friend from the neighborhood in his class and other kids he's fast attaching to. No surprise from my little social butterfly, but nice anyway. grin

Kriston
    E
    E
    Kriston -

yup . moving throws a big wrench. confused

your DS5 is sounding more and more like mine. My DS5 is also very social!

Yes, we need to keep in touch, I think. smile

Kriston
    Page 17 of 76 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM