Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Oh no Belle, sorry to hear! But at least you guys won't need shots frown

B
    B
    xoxosmom - how did the first day go? I have been thinking about all the moms/dads out there with first day of school starting today :-)

D
    D
    Originally Posted by xoxosmom
    They didn't send any info on his GATE testing or placement. Usually they send a letter. I got the impression at our grade skip meeting last year that the GATE was in a perilous postion cause of budget cuts.

I wondered about our son, too. It was like pulling teeth to find out if he qualified. (I figured he would, but ya just never know.)

So finally -- after lots of calling around -- I got the "Thumbs Up" ... followed by the announcement that it really doesn't matter because there will be no GATE program this year. How 'bout them apples!

This is the first year I didn't have any anxiety -- rather refreshing.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    M
    M
    Belle - sorry to hear about your DS - hope he feels better soon.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    He had a good first day. I got the sense he was still a little unsure of what to do with himself at lunch and on the playground but he was happy with the actual classroom time.

I wish I could make it easier for him to fit in but I also know that it is something he needs to work out on his own. Did you do anything at home with your accelerated child to ease the transition and encourage playtime at school?

Originally Posted by xoxosmom
    I wish I could make it easier for him to fit in but I also know that it is something he needs to work out on his own. Did you do anything at home with your accelerated child to ease the transition and encourage playtime at school?

If a child is young enough for the grownups to arrange playdates, then the teacher might be willing to reccomend other moms you could call to set up a playdate outside of school. If the kids are setting up their own playdates, you can try to get another mom to 'just happen' to be at a particular playground with their son at the same time you 'just happen' to be there. Or the video store, or anyother place you regularly do errands.

Sometimes the teacher will ask one of the popular and kind boys to keep an eye on your son and make sure that he is included on the playground, similar to what is often done for a child who has just moved from another school.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    I'm looking forward to the first day as we got the teacher we want. She knows my DD from last year when she came into her class to get the appropriate books for her level. Also her new teacher and last year's teacher are friends and have discussed my DD.

However what I *do* dislike about the first day is the feeling like we're going backwards. I was so excited about DD's abilities from this summer - swimming, finally riding a bike, reading a few Harry Potter books, and some fun science experiments. However, we had the school's open house this week and got the list of 2nd grade books and a note about what they will be doing in 2nd grade such as mastering addition and subtraction. sigh....

I need to get over this frustrating feeling. We have a individual education plan for our DD, but it still feels like we're going to have that first few months of adjusting.

School starts on Monday for my dd. She can't wait to go back.

M
    M
    last year, when my son was going in to 1st, we invited over the kids he knew from K who would be in his class, just before the start of school. I thought it might help him feel more at ease, socially, and have the kids feel more familiar to each other. We had a good time, and he still plays with some of those kids. The year turned out to be a trainwreck b/c of horrible teacher and toxic boredom, so he was skipped late in the year, but after he was skipped the friendships seemed to work better - with the same kids! So now we're trying it again this weekend, having some people over from the new class to try to make them feel like a familiar group when they start Monday. It feels harder, as they get older. When they were rising 1st graders, everyone wanted their kids to get to know people better. Now, rising 3rd, people have their groups more I think. It's a pain to try to build new connections!

as for all the teacher angst, ugh, I know. There's that whole 'they always say it will be fine but our track record is the first two months REALLY disappoint ds, who starts going downhill' worry. DS7 is ready for school, but we're all privately biting our nails over it, hoping it will, please please, finally go well!

O
    O
    Well the school days are going pretty good so far. My sons bored in math because he is waiting to get his above level work. We just had our first 3 days. BUT after the school day, a melt down each night by my DD6.

Last year it took till about Oct.to feel like dd6 & DS9 were in the swing of things. I've been very Patient having expected this.

hang in there everybody.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM