Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 76 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 75 76
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Kareninminn
    My biggest concern is his perfectionism. If he can't do something instantly he either gets frustrated or goofy and quits. He sticks to what he knows and is reluctant to move past it. I've questioned my judgment about him being gifted, maybe I'm trying to see something that isn't there, because it seems like avoiding a challenge is so atypical of a gifted child. It is there though, I see it in a lot of different ways, he just rebels when he knows he's being challenged.

This is my DS5.5 too (and our questioning his giftedness as well).

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Someone catch me quick - before I faint!

I sent an email to DS5.5's K teacher this weekend. I let her know where he was academically (as we have yet to be able to sit down and talk - plus it's only been a week). And to see what she could give us to keep him challenged, etc, at home (reverse psychology here - ha).

Anwyay, he's out today b/c he has a stomach bug - yuck, but I did get this:

�I have been talking to the principal and the Target (gifted) about your DS's (name edited by me) academics. I will call you later today or later in the week to let you know what we have discussed.�

Please, PLEASE let something change!!!!

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    Someone catch me quick - before I faint!

�I have been talking to the principal and the Target (gifted) about your DS's (name edited by me) academics. I will call you later today or later in the week to let you know what we have discussed.�

Do not faint! Remain calm! This is a good sign, but it's just the begining. Smile at the universe, say 'of course they want to help us' and put it out of your mind until you have more info. This kind of sitiatution tends to be rollercoaster-ish. Wait and see, and say a few prayers of gratitude. It's almost never as full or as fast as you might want, but every little bit helps!

The main thing is that your whole family probably rides on your emotional energy, so stay calm and centered. I wish it wasn't like this - but it usually is.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks Grinity - thankfully I'm at work, so no one can really see my anxiety, excitement, nervousness, etc... except of course my coworkers, but that's neither here nor there. wink

Hoping for good news, JJsMom! smile

Kriston
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks - even if it's just "we recognize he's smart and needs more of a challenge so here's extra work" type conversation or a "can we take the next week and then evaluate things", etc... smile The fact that I there is two way conversation that isn't 100% negative makes me happy at this point!

Oh, I completely agree! Talking is good! laugh

Kriston
    N
    N
    Just got our teacher assignment for K. DS5's new teacher is the one who told me that she had a student last year doing 4th grade math in a combined K/1 class. DS won't be in a combined class, but surely this is a good sign. Fingers crossed...

Good luck, JJsMom!

I just want to wish all those who are starting the school journey this year Good Luck! smile

Keep talking and advocating...it really can work. We were able to get a much-needed gradeskip for DS after he attended a few months of Kindergarten (2007-2008 school year).

DS5 got his teacher assignment, too. He has a teacher who is new to K this year. She taught 2nd grade for two years. Hopefully that means that she might recognize a kid doing more advanced work when she sees it, and the fact that she's a relatively new teacher means that she's flexible.

Fingers crossed!

Kriston
    Page 9 of 76 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM