Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #49273 06/12/09 07:35 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/26/13 10:38 AM.
    This sounds like a tough choice, MON. I guess I would also factor in cost of the private school as a "but"...maybe distance from home, convenience, etc.

I am a big advocate of an arts curriculum, so missing specials to me would be a big deal. My DD and DD are in private school, and I'm grateful that they don't have to take state testing, so that's a plus in my mind for the private school.

I guess I'm feeling conflicted about your decision, too - partly because I've been going through a decision process again for my kids. Each alternative situation has a "but" - something we would lose by going there, but gaining something else. Maybe get your DD's input on it?? Sorry I'm not much help...

Val Offline
    Hmm...from what you've described, you presented more than enough information to show the teacher that your daughter doesn't need to repeat 3rd grade math. Why is she hesitant? The reaction you described sounds pretty negative. I would be pretty dubious about what will happen with your DD unless you get it in writing from the principal. I wouldn't trust the teacher to do the 4th grade math otherwise.

This is a private school, and on top of the fact that you'll be paying them in large part for the advanced stuff, they might be facing recession-related enrollment issues like everyone else. This could work to your advantage. I suggest that you be completely honest with the principal. Tell him that after the meeting, you don't have a lot of confidence that the 3rd grade teacher will follow through on the 4th grade math and that DD will be forced to repeat 3rd grade math. You may wish to add words like "This seems problematic for us and we'd like to resolve this issue before making our decision about enrolling DD in your school." Always, always, nail down details before you give them a check!

An anecdote based on personal experience: my DS was supposed to get advanced math in 2nd grade. We had meetings, etc etc and the result was that they promised extra advanced work, but he still had to do the 2nd grade stuff. This was a bad idea and nothing ever really happened save a couple worksheets. Oh, and we had shown the teachers his completed 3rd grade math workbook. They did what you described: flipped through it but didn't really pay attention.

The teacher wasn't into the advanced stuff idea, and because he was doing 2nd grade math in class, she didn't have to because he was still doing math. This was a huge factor in our decision to leave that (private) school the next year.

I advise getting a formal commitment from the school saying that she will be exempt from 3rd grade math in favor of 4th grade math. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for some headaches.

Just my 2c!

Val, who must now take kitties for their annual checkups!

Last edited by Val; 06/12/09 08:44 AM. Reason: clarity
    Val #49280 06/12/09 09:28 AM
    oh MON! put her in the private school IF she can stay with the 4th grade ALL Day. Trust your gut and avoid Ms. 3Rd...period the end. Or stay with the public school and try for 5th grade math....Love and more love.....grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Offline
    What happened?

Val

Good luck Master of none!

Good luck!

This year we had a principal who said all the right things about the teacher, but the teacher was resistant hostile to the idea that DD is exceptionally gifted.

It was a very bad year, you can PM me if you want details.

Neato

Val Offline
    Umm. What are specials? Art class? They're obviously something good.

I hate when teachers force a child to redo something s/he's already done or figured out. And no amount of evidence to prove your case can convince some of them.

In this case, forcing your DD to miss something good (specials) and making her repeat third grade math before being allowed to take a more suitable class is like punishment for being intelligent.

Umm. Mathematics (especially in K-6) is supposed to build stepwise from one year to the next. So...forcing her to take 3rd grade math in parallel with 4th seems a bit silly in any event. If they don't believe she knows the material, why did they offer the grade 4 option at all?

Val

Val #49586 06/18/09 04:56 AM
    I agree with Val!

What they don't seem to grasp is that even if there is a hole, it will be quickly filled by these kids....it's never too late.

Yes, you have to look out for your child. And also stress that just b/c something doesn't work for one kid, it may work wonderfully for another. I did the questionnaires with my son in "Re-forming Gifted Education." The results were that he would not like to sit in the back of the class and work independently. He likes discussion and interaction w/ others at his level. He would likely just sit in the back and doodle on the page and daydream.

I feel that my daughter learned more from special than any other class in school. In fact,in MS,she is taking online courses so she can take more "electives".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM