Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I have a 7th grade daughter who recently took the SAT and got a 1920 (660 in math, 650 in writing, 610 in reading), which I saw was in the 90% among high school students, and in the 98+% among 95% 7th graders. Now, the dilemma comes in when I realize that my child was denied access into the gifted program 4 times in her middle school years. She became very discouraged, and only the prodding from her teachers to keep trying (because they disagreed with the results) made her try again, in the year when she was finally accepted. She always got 99% on 1 year above level reading and math tests that were used for admissions, but always fell short on the nonverbal tests. A couple of weeks ago, we got cogat results from this year. She got 149 on quantitative, 140 on verbal, and 121 on nonverbal, the highest she had ever gotten on that section. Besides the nonverbal, those seem like "gifted" scores. But, the fact remains that it took 5 years of easy elementary school curriculum to be atmitted into a program that still is not very hard. What's your take on this? And what do you think about the nonverbal? Do you think her IQ would be lower because of the nonverbal weakness?

Last edited by Bassetlover; 04/03/09 02:35 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    You needed three out of six test scores above 130 or 98% to get in. A lot of the scores were around 127 or 116 at the lowest.

D
    D
    Those scores exceed the required qualifying DYS SAT scores for 7th (and 8th?). If she tests at or above 145 on an individual IQ test, you should definitely submit an application on her behalf.

Also, there is another organization through Johns Hopkins called SET. I don�t know much about it, except that they are arguably even more selective than DITD. Admittance is based on a child achieving a 700 or higher on either the math or verbal portion of the SAT before age 13. If your daughter is still 12, you may want to sign her up for the SAT once more to see if she can break 700 in either area. They don�t require the IQ score from what I understand.

Would it be possible (or desirable) for her to take some high school classes next year when she is in 8th grade?

If you are wondering if the lower nonverbal would result in non-qualifying IQ test for DYS, you should know that they accept verbal, non-verbal or full scale. Even if she doesn�t test high enough for non-verbal, she could still be considered based on verbal alone.

Good luck to you and your family.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    She's 13, and won't take it again next year. Then again, we have until November. I don't think I know how to get individual IQ testing. Can someone explain this?

I
    I
    Didn't Grinity post a link a while back that had SAT percentiles?
    I'd be interested in how the SAT 11th grade percentiles compare to the MAP 11th grade percentiles.

I
    I
    http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat_percentile_ranks_2008.pdf

I found this for the SAT percentile ranks. Her scores put her a bit lower percentile wise than the MAP (88% math, 90% writing, and 82% reading). I wonder if part of that difference is that MAP includes both college bound and non-college bound, while the SAT is weighted more to college bound students?

Last edited by inky; 03/22/09 07:20 PM. Reason: typo
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bassetlover
    What's your take on this? And what do you think about the nonverbal? Do you think her IQ would be lower because of the nonverbal weakness?
    More afterthoughts...
    Sounds like you daughter is a prime example of this point:
    http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=960
    Group intelligence tests often underestimate the scores received on individual tests. If you are requesting that your child be assessed, request that a school psychologist administer an individualized test.
    You may also want to consider private testing with a psychologist who specializes in gifted children. This link has good information about that route. http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

Great scores! Just in case dd wants to try for SET, it is not too late. Kids over 13 need an additional 10 points for every month over 13.

It's a shame that your dd has such abilities yet hasn't been recognized or encouraged at school. Is she happy there? Have you considered a change, to another school or possibly homeschooling?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Great scores! Just in case dd wants to try for SET, it is not too late. Kids over 13 need an additional 10 points for every month over 13.

It's a shame that your dd has such abilities yet hasn't been recognized or encouraged at school. Is she happy there? Have you considered a change, to another school or possibly homeschooling?

Their really are not any great opportunities as far as private schools, and though she has asked me before, I do not think homeschooling will end up happening with work and all.

This paper says SAT-V > 630 places her in > 99.99% group.

http://carrefoursagesse.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/the-cognitive-profile-of-the-precocious-student/

And:

"Finally, an interesting trend was revealed. The presence of exceptionally high verbal ability appeared to increase the likelihood of the presence of high mathematical ability."

She may not have had the exposure to mathematically intermediate topics that would allow her to perform at a much higher level. Most math knowledge is not readily available like good books are. Most people get their math via school and not via self-study and ability at math is suppressed in girls due to social pressures. I imagine most kids who > 700 on the SAT-M have had the full two years of Algebra, another of geometry, another of analytical geometry/pre-calc - or at least a good exposure to all the above.

In addition, if she is not in a Latin program or has not had exposure to classic English lit, then that would retard her scores on the SAT-V.

All in all, very impressive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM