Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    DD7 (almost 8) is asking for math workbooks. I randomly had picked up a couple of Kumon ones at Target, sort of a rainy day activity, and she loves them (well, the one labeled grade 3-4, which gives her some pause, that she shouldn't be allowed to do them or something because of the title). I don't make her do it, she just thinks it's fun (omg, she asks permission to do it LOL). At least it's good practice for learning the multiplication table. She's asking for more and I'm trying to decide what sort of workbooks to get her. Should I look around for more inexpensive, random stuff at Target, etc.? Or shoud I go with more of a curriculum, like Singapore? I was leaning toward Singapore, just because there's more she wants to learn that she hasn't quite come across at school just yet (I'm afraid her teacher is very linear when it comes to the curriculum). Placement is another question (she could pass the 2B test, but some of that is what she still wants to practice, so I'm not sure - maybe I get both that one and the 3A. I haven't even looked at the test for 3A but I assume she's not there yet). She's in second grade in a montessori school, and I'm never quite sure where she's at, curriculum-wise. Doing the workbooks does give me a better idea. Even if she hasn't moved far ahead of grade level yet, I just love watching her enjoy math smile smile smile

So, any thoughts? Any other series of workbooks that anyone would like to recommend? (remember, this is "just for fun" wink wink) Thanks!!

p.s. she's very much a visual-spatial learner

HOw about Zaccaro's book? Primary Grade Challenge Math? Singapore is great for pick up and go.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    HOw about Zaccaro's book? Primary Grade Challenge Math? Singapore is great for pick up and go.

I second that. Zaccaro covers lots of different concept. She could choose what she likes and wouldn't have to follow any given sequence.

Singapore is great but Zaccaro may work better as fun math.

LMom
    I
    I
    I'd like to know whether any other parents of GT kids have looked at Oxford University Press. Their phonics progrssion in reading is great and today I was checking out their math books. hard to decipher to what extent one can use these with GT kids without them getting bored - but certianly for 2E kids - they use a lot of diagramming - especially for the IGSCE level for teens. I tested DS6 on level 12 chapter books last week before we got the IQ results - as I was interested to see how he would adpat to a chapter book - as he is very picky about what he will and will not read. They have a specifically designed range of books for boys - geared towards today's generation of kids that play a lot of video games and maybe hate to read. Some parents may find that helpful.

Also has anyone else checked out Susan and Jessie Wise/Bauer's home school curriculum/sites?

F
    F
    A publisher named Mindwares has a lot of interesting math/puzzle books for kids. They are a lot of fun and the kids can practice math concepts without even knowing it.

Cindi
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks gang! I really appreciate your thoughts. I'll probably start with a Singapore workbook and then think about getting the Zaccaro book also. The Zaccaro book is a text, not a workbook, right?

Thanks again
    smile

Mathy kids should be immersed in mathcounts workbooks early.
    You can get them on their website.
    And yes , Zaccaro books are textbooks. Very easy to go throught, not a lot of time needed at all.
    Also, check out the math olympiad site (MOEMS).
    Math olympiad starts in 4 th grade and goes through 8th. You can purchase problems discs on their website.

C
    C
    Jumping in because I'm in the same marketplace - yesterday's parent-teacher meeting resulted in permission, maybe even encouragement, to let DS5 do extra maths at home and keep his teacher in touch with what he's doing, yay!

I had a brief look at the MathCounts website and couldn't immediately see the info that would tell me whether DS is ready for any of that - but what does "middle school" mean, 11-13 or some such? Probably not for us just yet then.

So far we've mostly improvised; as far as bought materials go we've only used Bond Assessment books. They're good for talking about with DS, as (because they're assessment, not teaching) there's lots of variety. Something with more sequence might be good though. (I've also wondered about an online programme - don't think I'd want to be paying for tutoring given that DH and I can do that, but I was interested in the talk about ALEKS recently.)

I've heard a couple of recommendations for BRAINQUEST books, but they're not easily available in the UK, and I'm not quite convinced enough to order them from the US, and not sure which one we'd want first anyway. Anyone used those, and have suggestions? DS is secure with any size addition and subtraction, understands multiplication and division but only does them with small numbers (no long- either yet), is getting into prime factorisation, gets negative numbers and some aspects of fractions, understands symmetry quite well but for reasons I don't understand has a little trouble with rotation, is good at patterns, knows lots about 2D and 3D shapes, knows various simple kinds of charts, etc. Here that puts him roughly at 7-8yo maths: so I want Grade 2 or 3 I suppose, but which?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Ania - can you link to the Mathcounts workbooks?

thanks,
    Dazey

My DD6 absolutely loves brainquest. She's been doing them for a few years now. In fact we're getting a new one next week for our vacation trip. They have books that are just math or some that are "everything" type. They also have cool question cards that are bound at the top so you never use them and they have something like 1000 questions per pack. (Or it seems like that many when you're sitting there doing them with her nonstop.) These packs have questions on one card then the next card in the pack has the answers, and there are question/answer sets on both sides!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM