Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #244213 10/30/18 07:42 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD13 took the MAP test for the 1st time a few weeks back, and we finally got the results. I am, once again, in a situation where I feel we need to prove to teachers what DD13 is capable of. Her scores were 99, 98 % which I am glad to see because that backs up my point that this is a kid who needs more challenge - please please- and who is starting to say that "school doesn't matter" and "what's the point", etc. It's painful because so many people have said high school can be a better place for kids , more challenges, etc. We have already given teachers the letter from our support person from DYS, but that didn't seem to make much of an impact.

Next point - DD's Lexile range says 1575-1725. When I look up Lexile scores they all seem to end at 1200 (end of high school). What is this score telling us? I am hoping it can be something else I can bring up with a teacher.

Side note - I did a DYS "Lexile scores" search, and after I finished reading some old posts realized I was reading answers to a Lexile question I had back when DD was 8 or 9 - long before she had been formally tested, grade skipped, etc. It was a very strange feeling to read questions I posted when we had no idea what was going on. Thank goodness for all the kind people here. This is the only place where people truly understand all my questions.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    There are a few other lexile charts out there, some of which have higher ranges:

http://cdn.lexile.com/m/cms_page_media/135/Lexile%20Map_8.5x11_FINAL_Updated_May_2013%20(4).pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    I have this one saved in my archives - at least one school district equates Lexile with reading levels, and this shows 1300 as 1st/2nd year college level. It's at least a data point to start from - I'm sure I could buid a pretty good argument from it.

http://languageartsreading.dadeschools.net/pdf/FAIR/LexileConversionChart.pdf

But to be honest, while I've tracked my kids' Lexile scores over the years, I don't put much weight in them and didn't use them in any of my gifted planning meetings at school. I don't think any teacher ever mentioned it, and they certainly paid attention to NWEA/MAP/RIT scores. Both kids jumped up and down quite a bit year-to-year/test-to-test, and low repeatability warns me of low accuracy.

Example - my youngest went 1030, 1250, 1520 from Fall 4th grade (age 9) to Fall 5th grade (10). I don't think she jumped ~8-9 grade levels in 12 months.

I searched everything else I had stored, but just about every other one just has "max score"+ at the high end, starting at 1085+ (RIT 237) in 5th through 1320 (RIT 250) in 12th.

C
    C
    I found this in my bookmarks - data on middle 50% scores by grade. This would show 1575+ as well above 75th%-ile for 11th/12th grade.

https://lexile.com/educators/measuring-growth-with-lexile/lexile-measures-grade-equivalents/

Last edited by Cranberry; 01/03/19 01:11 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't place a ton of weight on lexile scores either; they're just another set of data points. FWIW, I have had a few students with lexiles in the 2000s.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    I only used the data when advocating for my son and he had a Lexile score in the second grade higher than any kid in the entire school (K-5th). It just pointed out that he REALLY needed enrichment and services and he wasn’t even a typical gifted kid. I mean I could see that in the other testing but not all the teachers got the meaning of the other testing. I didn’t use it to select books because many of those books were not appropriate at 7 years old.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM