Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240850 01/02/18 04:11 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Please help me understand what these scores mean for my son. He has adhd and has a hard time staying focused on anything he�s not especially interested in. I understand with his low VCI scores he wouldn�t do well in a gifted program at school but I�d hate to ignore what the 99.9% VSI could mean. Thanks

FSIQ 122 93% Superior
    Verbal Comprehension 106 66% Average
    Visual Spatial 147 99.9% very superior
    Fluid Reasoning 124 94% superior
    Working Memory 112 79% high average
    Processing Speed 105 63% average

Verbal Comprehension:
    Similarities 11
    Vocabulary 11

Visual Spatial:
    Block design 18
    Visual puzzles 18

Fluid Reasoning:
    Matrix reasoning 14
    Figure Weights 14

Working Memory:
    Digit span 12
    Picture span 12

Processing Speed:
    Symbol search 11
    Coding 11

P
    P
    Was he medicated when he took the test?

O
    OP Offline
    O
    He was, but not properly. He has had a med change since that has seemed to unlock his brain a bit. It does make me wonder if that would change the VCI score. It seems like such a Large gap!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Owgrauph
    He was, but not properly. He has had a med change since that has seemed to unlock his brain a bit. It does make me wonder if that would change the VCI score. It seems like such a Large gap!
    Anything's possible, but usually I wouldn't expect to see much immediate change in the VCI with a med change, unless he is extremely distractible even by ADHD standards. The consistency of the subtest scores does suggest that the index scores are generally real. The sense in which better management of ADHD may change the VCI scores is most likely a long-term one--if his verbal scores have been lowered by chronic inattention, once he is paying better attention, he will absorb information and vocabulary at closer to his optimal level, which may result in higher scores in the future, as his knowledge and skill acquisition catches up to his actual capacity.

It may be simply that he is a visual spatial/math kind of person, who doesn't have exceptional gifts in language-related areas. Nothing wrong with that. Do you have IRL concerns about him? Does he perform at an age-appropriate level in reading and writing tasks? Above? Below? Is there formal achievement testing data on him from this or another eval?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I am a parent of 3 sons with APD, so please conder I see through that lens. Processing speed and verbal comprehension look relatively low. Is reading comprehension low? You might want to check out APD symptoms and consider an APD evaluation.

One of my DS uses a FM system. Another DS uses Starkey Halo hearing aids. Digital hearing aids have speech discrimination to drown out background noise and clarify speech. My DSs do not have hearing loss.

aeh is the expert.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM