Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Owgrauph WISC V interpretation gap - 01/02/18 11:11 PM
Please help me understand what these scores mean for my son. He has adhd and has a hard time staying focused on anything he�s not especially interested in. I understand with his low VCI scores he wouldn�t do well in a gifted program at school but I�d hate to ignore what the 99.9% VSI could mean. Thanks

FSIQ 122 93% Superior
Verbal Comprehension 106 66% Average
Visual Spatial 147 99.9% very superior
Fluid Reasoning 124 94% superior
Working Memory 112 79% high average
Processing Speed 105 63% average

Verbal Comprehension:
Similarities 11
Vocabulary 11

Visual Spatial:
Block design 18
Visual puzzles 18

Fluid Reasoning:
Matrix reasoning 14
Figure Weights 14

Working Memory:
Digit span 12
Picture span 12

Processing Speed:
Symbol search 11
Coding 11

Posted By: puffin Re: WISC V interpretation gap - 01/03/18 07:54 PM
Was he medicated when he took the test?
Posted By: Owgrauph Re: WISC V interpretation gap - 01/03/18 08:12 PM
He was, but not properly. He has had a med change since that has seemed to unlock his brain a bit. It does make me wonder if that would change the VCI score. It seems like such a Large gap!
Posted By: aeh Re: WISC V interpretation gap - 01/07/18 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by Owgrauph
He was, but not properly. He has had a med change since that has seemed to unlock his brain a bit. It does make me wonder if that would change the VCI score. It seems like such a Large gap!
Anything's possible, but usually I wouldn't expect to see much immediate change in the VCI with a med change, unless he is extremely distractible even by ADHD standards. The consistency of the subtest scores does suggest that the index scores are generally real. The sense in which better management of ADHD may change the VCI scores is most likely a long-term one--if his verbal scores have been lowered by chronic inattention, once he is paying better attention, he will absorb information and vocabulary at closer to his optimal level, which may result in higher scores in the future, as his knowledge and skill acquisition catches up to his actual capacity.

It may be simply that he is a visual spatial/math kind of person, who doesn't have exceptional gifts in language-related areas. Nothing wrong with that. Do you have IRL concerns about him? Does he perform at an age-appropriate level in reading and writing tasks? Above? Below? Is there formal achievement testing data on him from this or another eval?
Posted By: EmmaL Re: WISC V interpretation gap - 01/07/18 05:48 AM
I am a parent of 3 sons with APD, so please conder I see through that lens. Processing speed and verbal comprehension look relatively low. Is reading comprehension low? You might want to check out APD symptoms and consider an APD evaluation.

One of my DS uses a FM system. Another DS uses Starkey Halo hearing aids. Digital hearing aids have speech discrimination to drown out background noise and clarify speech. My DSs do not have hearing loss.

aeh is the expert.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum