Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Also, before you lose further sleep over this do you know that the letter that you received wasn't a stock letter sent to the parents of all GT program participants?

I know that at least one child in the class received a letter stating he/she was accepted into the program.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You know, to madeinuk's point, it's possible that some families are just further in the process than yours is, which is why they've already received acceptance letters. The letter you received didn't say he was out or waitlisted. Actually, it said all was well, and he was moving on to the next level of the process. He passed screening, and they want to do more precise testing. Sounds quite positive to me.

BTW, did DC say he really saw 1 or 0, or did he infer a lot of 0s from the action of the pencil? Because on many, if not most, tests, what you actually do to mark a score is circle a preprinted point value, so if you just watched the examiner's hand, but not the paper, it could look like a lot of zeroes. Still shouldn't have been visible to him, of course, but it's easier to see how the examiner wouldn't have realized that, since one might think that because the child could not see the mark that they would not be affected by the action of scoring. I will say, though, that at our #1's kindergarten screening, the teacher did actually have the whole protocol exposed, which I know because I found pretend play from DC later that week which had carefully written 'test' questions on it, each with a space to note the student response, and then a 0 and a 1 next to it. 1s circled for correct answers, and 0s for incorrect ones. A lot of stuffed animals were screened for school that year, apparently....

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I think that legally (federal) you have the right to know every test administered to your child and the results of each - I forget the name of the law at the moment.
    Are you possibly thinking of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?

J
    Jai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you for your feedback. It has been very helpful. After much thought and discussion with DS' teacher, my belief is leaning towards what aeh has said. DS is has passed the initial screening and is still being considered, and some families have completed the process. I am not surprised that DS didn't make a qualifying score on the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking and needs further testing. I think part of the delay is having the school system's psychometrist come to test DS. I know the person isn't located in the school, and I have no idea how/when he/she works. I'll just be patient and see what happens.

J
    Jai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I just wanted to give an update. DS did not meet the requirements to be determined eligible for gifted services. According to the letter, "Data was considered from a variety of sources in the areas of aptitude, characteristics, and performance indicators."

I do not plan on fighting their decision. However, would it be appropriate to ask for test scores and/or a copy of the "Matrix for Screening/Eligibilty Determination"? If so, how should I word this request?

I
    I
    Do you know the qualifying criteria for eligibility for gifted services at your child's school?
    Is the criteria published on your school or district website?
    Could you print a copy of the current criteria and/or process description, and place it in a ring binder with the letters you have received to date?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = The following is a brief roundup of FERPA links. I will call it a FERPA tutorial.

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides for parents to have access to their minor children's education records.

Based on the FERPA information online here, a school needs to "show" the records to a parent, not necessarily provide a copy.

Based on FERPA information online, education records are defined as
    those records that:
    1) contain information directly related to a student; and
    2) are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
    The electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR), Title 34 Education, Part 99 Family Educational Rights and Privacy, current as of May 23, 2017 provides definitions. NOTE: It is wise to check sources frequently for any changes.

According to the FERPA FAQ page, for parents and eligible students, inspection and review of education records:
    FERPA requires that educational agencies and institutions comply with a request by a parent or eligible student for access to education records within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after receipt of a request. Some States have laws that may require that parents and eligible students be granted access in a shorter time period. 34 CFR § 99.10(b).

FERPA requires that an educational agency or institution respond to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of education records. 34 CFR § 99.10(c).
    FERPA may not apply to some schools:
    Originally Posted by FERPA for parents PDF, 2011
    FERPA applies to educational agencies and institutions (e.g., schools) that receive funding under any program administered by the Department. Private and parochial schools at the elementary and secondary levels generally do not receive such funding and are, therefore, not subject to FERPA.
    FERPA requires an annual notice to parents; This Model Notice is provided.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = End of FERPA Tutorial. smile

After reading and processing the information above, you may wish to find your school's annual FERPA notice. You may wish to refer to that notice and/or quote it in your request. You may wish to incorporate language from your local school's gifted program eligibility requirements into your request. You may wish to make a rather broad request for all educational records, tests, evaluations, assessments, observations, and any other*, regarding his aptitude, characteristics, and performance indicators, which may have been used in determining his eligibility for gifted services.

*Note: and any other is a standard catch-all phrase often used when requesting records.

Proceed with caution. Advocacy is best approached with tender loving care.

Use plain unemotional language.

Sample Request (do not copy this exactly):

MM/DD/YY

The purpose of this e-mail is to request all educational records, tests, evaluations, assessments, observations, and any other, regarding aptitude, characteristics, and performance indicators, which may have been used in determining the eligibility of my child, Abbb Cddddd for gifted services, as mentioned in the letter I received dated MM/DD/YY.

It is my understanding that FERPA requires a response within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after receipt of a request.

Thank you for your time.

The district may respond that your letter determining his ineligibility suffices. To which you may wish to reply with the FEPRA definition of records.

The district may also ignore your request altogether, in which case you may wish to send it again with a gentle reminder that it has been 46 days...

If you choose to escalate, you may wish to check with your State department of education... and with FERPA compliance.

Take advocacy in baby steps, and, like a chess game, plan what your next moves might be. Conduct your advocacy like a negotiation, not a battle.

J
    Jai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you, indigo. Your response is very helpful. I was able to draft an email from your information. I will definitely proceed with caution. I've already learned that that advocating for DS is like playing a gigantic game of chess. Our school and community is relatively small, and I have a good relationship with the principal and staff. I don't plan to burn any bridges. I just want a copy of the evaluations, assessments, etc for my own records.

D
    D
    In my district, your request would not raise any eyebrows at all. I routinely meet with parents whose children were not placed in our gifted program. At that meeting, they're given a copy of the matrix we use and it's my job to answer any and all questions parents have regarding that information. At that meeting I also explain options going forward - how the gifted nomination process works (teachers and parents can nominate at any time).

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Jai
    I do not plan on fighting their decision. However, would it be appropriate to ask for test scores and/or a copy of the "Matrix for Screening/Eligibilty Determination"? If so, how should I word this request?
    In my district, a parent just has to make a request at the front office of the school and they will provide a copy of all the test scores that are valid for that academic year. This is normal because many parents want a copy for their own records, to transfer to a different school district or to a private school, to enter their child into exclusive programs that require minimum test scores etc. So, just go ahead and request the scores. There is no necessity to give reasons for the request.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM