Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    DS (7 yr old) got qualified for full time GT program in our school district through CoGAT and other screening factors. I am wondering if it would be good for him to take a private IQ test. Please suggest if it is the right age to take it and which test is the best to go for.
    TIA.

I
    I
    In general, about 8 years old is recommended as the time when IQ scores may be stable... and would not tend to vary much on any subsequent testings.

However, testing is also done at younger ages, especially when parents are seeking to understand something out-of-the-ordinary which they may be observing about their child.

The test(s) which you choose or suggest/request in working with your tester depend upon your reasons for testing. For example: Are you planning to apply to a specific program? The tests which are accepted for the Davidson Young Scholars (DYS) program are listed here.

L
    L
    I think it depends a bit on the child. DS is pretty compliant and followed instructions well at age 6 - much like an older child. I know that older testing is preferred by some, but we had our DS take the WISC at age 6. Then, at age 8, the school insisted on retesting him for the G&T program. The difference between scores? One point.

My opinion? The second test was completely unnecessary.

Also, the earlier testing gave us an earlier understanding of his needs. I am so glad that we did it.

S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks everyone for the responses. They have all been very useful to me. I would like to go ahead with the testing to apply for some specific programs like you mention. I checked the link, but cannot find information on what tests are suitable for a 7 year old. Kindly suggest some. TIA.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ss62
    I checked the link, but cannot find information on what tests are suitable for a 7 year old.
    The linked qualifications for DYS show three different types of tests:
    1) IQ Tests
    2) Achievement Tests
    3) Talent Search / College Placement Tests
    If you are interested in an IQ test, look at the options listed in the first grouping. Your test administrator could help guide the specific test selection.

Two great resources which many parents of gifted children regularly utilize for quick answers:
    1) Hoagies Gifted Education Page.
    Hoagies' has a webpage dedicated to describing different tests and assessments: Tests, Tests, Tests.
    2) The Davidson Database.
    The Davidson Database has an index of articles on the topic of IQ Tests.

IQ tests are discussed from time to time on the forums.
    - Here is a roundup of info on IQ tests.
    - aeh provided great information in response to your inquiry last year.

If you are looking for tests which may support education acceleration (as mentioned in last year's inquiry) look to those recommended in the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS-3): ability, aptitude, and achievement tests.

A
    A
    WISC-V was suggested by the psychologist (specializing in gifted kids) who tested my DS8. He was two months shy from 7. In the report, the psych stated that my DS was very focused throughout the whole time and showed excellent task persistence. We did not tell him it was an IQ test. I just told him that he was going to do some games with this doctor grin

S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks everyone for the information provided. Portia, I did see WISC-V, but was wondering if it is the apt one for my kid.
    The round-up link is pretty useful. Thanks much.

I
    I
    I did see WISC-V, but was wondering if it is the apt one for my kid.
    The gifted community can share their BTDT experiences, and point to reliable resources... but could not say what is best for your child.

If your test administrator has indicated SB, and parents here have more experience with WISC, you may wish to discuss the reasoning behind the test selection with your test administrator. Meanwhile, did you notice that both WISC and SB are listed among the IQ tests accepted for the DYS program, and those recommended by the IAS?

The round-up link is pretty useful. Thanks much.
    You are welcome! smile Oftentimes people like to have a variety of resources to sort through, and see what fits.

S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Sure, I agree. I will have to decide what is best for my child. I will talk to the test administrator. I see that SBT is also accepted for the DYS program. However, I kind of want to go with WISC-V. Thanks much for all your insights. This forum is great for newbees like me.

I
    I
    This forum is great for newbees like me.
    And please stick around when you have experiences to share, and when you know how to find those roundups of links... so you can help others... there are always newcomers... lots of questions to answer and resources to point to... to help the gifted community. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM