Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We're using the month trial of Aleks Math now and I'm a bit confused by it. It initially assessed DS at 26% of Level 3 when he took the assessment 2 days ago. I had it reassess him today (because he had missed some stuff I know he knows, but he wasn't used to the format and forgot to click the blue box) and now he's at 43%. He can't possibly be almost half way done with 3rd grade math! Is it possible that he was assessed out of things he doesn't actually know? If that's the case, is it possible to reset those so that he can actually do them?

Also, are the quick tables supposed to help him with memorizing the math facts? There doesn't appear to be much work with basic multiplication facts in the regular course. I'm wondering if we should supplement with Singapore Math 2b since that's where they work with the multiplication facts. He has a lot of them down just from knowing the math behind them, but some of them stump him. I'm just not sure how effective teaching him to do multi-digit multiplication is going to be without knowing his facts pretty well.

Ideas or advice?

I can't help you with Aleks, but I can speak to the times tables issue, FWIW.

We stopped using Singapore Math near the end of the year last year--though I think it is a good program in general and we may come back to it later--because DS-then-6 didn't have his multiplication facts memorized, he didn't enjoy trying to memorize them (speedy recall is SOOOOOO not his thing!!!), and the lack of memorization was making math painful for both of us.

We got to level 3 (A? I think? Though maybe B? I'd have to look, and I'm too lazy...), but it was just killing his love of math and we couldn't really progress further along the usual path without his knowing his facts.

My personal theory (with no evidence to back it beyond my own experience and general reading about child development) is that memorization of math facts isn't necessarily tied to GTness, and I'm not sure all 6/7/even 8 yos are quite ready developmentally to do that sort of memorization, even if they can handle the concepts intellectually. I think it's another example of asynchronous behavior: they can be ready for the concept of multiplication, but not necessarily the reality of it. I know this was true of my DS7.

Our strategy: focus on branches of math that aren't reliant on math facts. We did geometry to great success last year, and will probably do more this year. DH the engineer is also going to do hands-on physics/calculus with him: light on the equations, heavy on the concepts and the graphing. hopefully he'll pick up some algebra along the way, and even his times tables, maybe! wink

When he's 8/9 and most kids his age are learning their times tables, I will expect him to know them, too. We'll dabble in it between now and then in small, low-pressure doses in the hopes that he'll pick it up when he's ready. But I can't see a good reason to follow the standard path if it isn't working for him. Why? If it makes him hate math, then let's do something weird and concept-based that makes him like math instead! Then when it's age-appropriate--and hopefully my DS appropriate!--he'll learn the math facts.

That's the joy of homeschooling, right? Individualized curriculum! Even if it's really, really unusual! laugh

Kriston
    Yes, DS7 is not fast...at anything! Not even skip counting. Deep, but not fast! And he does have that VS side to him, which reinforces my thought that pushing seems the wrong tack to take with him. Flash cards were a dismal failure...

It would be a bigger issue if we were grade skipping him instead of homeschooling. But as it is, I'd rather go off-road rather than trying to hothouse him (and me!) into misery!

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Dottie, I didn't even think about the overlap/review between the levels, that makes me feel a lot better. Singapore seems to run about half a year ahead, so he would be just about to where usual 2nd grade ends and the overlap explains why he's half way through 3rd grade.

Kriston, I try to be Zen about his math, but it's one of the only areas teaching him that I have a hard time being flexible. I think it's because while I enjoyed math in school, I'm not a math person so it's not something I feel comfortable winging. I try to remind myself that it's not his problem that I have issues, lol.

After looking into the Quick Tables some more, it looks like they're drill practice. So, I think what we'll do is have him focus more on those while we have the free trial. If he can get them down fairly well, we'll keep going with the Aleks. He really seems to like it, especially that it lets him show he can do something and move on. We're moving on from Singapore Math for now because he was getting frustrated with the small chunks of concepts it gives at one time. He seems to need to see the big picture for the small chunks to make sense.

If he seems resistant to memorizing them, I guess we'll try something else (see, I'm trying to be flexible, lol).

That's all you can do! Try, and if it doesn't work, try something else. smile

Remember, my son is VERY clear when he is not in the right place academically. Pushing through was clearly not an option. Not all kids are like that.

Too, I figure there's no point in my pulling him out of a bad fit at school if I'm just going to treat him the same way, giving him material that isn't developmentally appropriate. But I had to make him miserable for a while before I realized that. I'm afraid I'm not the most flexible person in the world myself... blush

Live and learn, right? I just figure that the worst thing that can happen is that he doesn't get much out of the next few months of math. Well, he's years ahead of public school right now, so I don't think that's a tragedy, really. And if our plan is not working, we'll just try something else. "Perfectionist homeschooler" is an oxymoron!

That line of thought helps me a lot. smile No pressure, see? No pressure.

(I'll just keep saying that, and maybe one day I'll believe it!) wink

Kriston
    I can't say anything about 4rd grade math as we started a bit higher here (older child) but I totally agree with Dottie on overlaping. Aleks does lot's of it and constant (ad nauseam) reassesments will take your child back, if needed.
    When my daughter starts a new level, close to 60% of her pie is already filled in.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM