Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    School starts September 3rd. I think I will call tomorrow and just ask if the information packets have been mailed yet? Teachers name, school supplies, etc. I think I want something in writing that states that DS5 is indeed registered for grade 1 before I send a letter that may or may not get a reply.

Kriston: I am very tempted to just see how it goes.

Questions and LMom: Thanks for the family consultant idea but I am not sure they can help. NH law state that each district can have it's own policies regarding early entry. Unfortunately my large (for NH) district has a policy and entrance to K and 1st grade are based on age only--no exceptions. Other cases of this occuring in the state have occured outside our district. Both the Vice Principal and I did our research last spring to no avail. They did tell me that once DS5 reached the age requirements it would be up to the school to determine grade placement--so grade skipping later on is a possibility and I am told it has happened at this particular school.

Val: Great advice about Montessori first grade but our school only has the 3-6 year old program. There is no elementary school Montessori in our immedicate area.

I think I would need to be pretty confident that they would allow him to stay in 1st grade before I pull him from the Montessori school. I know there is a waiting list for the Montessori school and if I pull him I would lose our spot. I have also already paid the first month of tuition for Montessori. I doubt I could get a refund at this stage.

I also worry about the quality of education:
    *1st grade Public school--nothing set up for accomodations. No G/T program until 3rd grade (and I am told it's a joke).
    or
    *K at Montessori--teachers knows his ability. No true peers and DS5 will be one of the oldest children. Already mastered most of the available material. The plan is to allow DS to do more projects, self-guided learning, explore same topics as other children but in more depth. I worry that the teachers will not be able to keep him engaged at his level.

Urgh--I know I won't get much sleep tonight.

Crisc
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    master of none: Thanks for sharing that story. That is definitely my fear. I would not be able to just move him to public school K though since here it is only half day--I work full time and the afterschool programs don't accomadate K students. Montessori or private K is my only option due to daycare needs.

I also want to mention that DD4 will be attending the Montessori school with DS5 this fall. I can't burn bridges with the Montessori school since I have a younger child to consider as well.

Crisc
    No good advice from me, can't think of anything different from the good advice already posted. Tough call, just sending e-support your way.

smile

Montessori was definitely a better fit for me at that age. At 6 years they moved me into grades 4-7 and I still remember it fondly.

A year later, Public school stuck me into 2d grade and I acted up until I was put back into independent study.

crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Update: I called this morning and the secretary told me the the letters with teachers went out yesterday and I should get it in the mail today. After I get our official letter I will write a letter/e-mail to the school officials asking for clarification.

Crisc
    Keep us updated, crisc. I'm reading with great interest, naturally! smile

Kriston
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just got home and checked the mail. We got the official letter in the mail. DS5 is indeed registered for grade 1 for this fall at our local public school.

I just sent an e-mail to the principal. I figure it was the best and easiest way to talk to her. This past spring all of our communication was done via e-mail. If I get no where fast I will just attend the orientation session on Tuesday, September 2 to meet with his new teacher and see if I can speak with the principal.

Wish me luck!

Crisc
    good luck!

Here's hoping!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Wow! Well good luck!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts