Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #23013 08/16/08 05:08 PM
    S
    scooby Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I wuld like to info on great math online math programs for 2nd grade. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

M
    M
    My boys (4 and 6) like Rainforest Math http://www.rainforestmaths.com/ it's not a complete math program, more of a supplement, but it's free.

Rainforest Maths has been taken down because the woman doing it had too much of her stuff taken without payment or even credit given.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! frown

A lot of people like Aleks, and Hey Math! is coming on strong.

Do you want a complete math curriculum, or just fun math games and such to supplement what your child is already doing?

I have lots of links to fun supplements, but for curriculum, Aleks is probably your best bet. I think they have a 30-day free trial, too, so you can give it a whirl for free.

Is Hey Math! an official curriculum or just a supplement? I just realized that I don't know for sure.

Kriston
    M
    M
    blush That'll teach me to not actually read the site when I check a url to post, lol. The boys will be so disappointed, we were just using it a few weeks ago!

We're getting ready to move on to Aleks, but I thought it didn't start until 3rd grade.

I too am unhappy about Rainforest Math being down. I never used it with DS5, but we tried it with DS4 a few weeks ago and he had great time.

Can HeyMath! be used as a curriculum? Hmm, I don't know. It does teach lessons (and very well), it includes practice problems. I would say it does a great job, but I would use it without any other material. It doesn't provide any tracking and you are free to explore lessons in any order.

On the other hand I think it's more than just a supplement. I really like it and I think it's the right choice for us at this time (DS5 works at the 4th grade level math). It's worth looking into. They have 15 day free trial.

Kriston, your son may like HeyMath! as well. They have lots of geometry and you can jump from one lesson to another. I am becoming a big fan of it.

LMom
    Thanks, LMom. I appreciate the rec. smile We're going to give our goofy, makeshift calculus for 7yos a try, but if it doesn't pan out, I may be looking for a midyear replacement!

Kriston
    S
    scooby Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello again,
    actually my other child is using aleks but think won't fit his needs right now since they start 3rd grade. I would like guidance for a 2nd grade full online math curriculum.
    Thank you.

What about Calvert math? I've heard good things about it, but haven't actually used it.

EPGY also has K-2 and 3-4 levels.

Last edited by Cathy A; 08/17/08 11:59 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM