Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: scooby online math programs - 08/17/08 12:08 AM
I wuld like to info on great math online math programs for 2nd grade. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: online math programs - 08/17/08 12:22 AM
What about this?

http://nrich.maths.org/public/index.php
Posted By: mamaandmore Re: online math programs - 08/17/08 12:43 AM
My boys (4 and 6) like Rainforest Math http://www.rainforestmaths.com/ it's not a complete math program, more of a supplement, but it's free.
Posted By: Kriston Re: online math programs - 08/17/08 01:22 AM
Rainforest Maths has been taken down because the woman doing it had too much of her stuff taken without payment or even credit given.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! frown

A lot of people like Aleks, and Hey Math! is coming on strong.

Do you want a complete math curriculum, or just fun math games and such to supplement what your child is already doing?

I have lots of links to fun supplements, but for curriculum, Aleks is probably your best bet. I think they have a 30-day free trial, too, so you can give it a whirl for free.

Is Hey Math! an official curriculum or just a supplement? I just realized that I don't know for sure.
Posted By: mamaandmore Re: online math programs - 08/17/08 01:28 AM
blush That'll teach me to not actually read the site when I check a url to post, lol. The boys will be so disappointed, we were just using it a few weeks ago!

We're getting ready to move on to Aleks, but I thought it didn't start until 3rd grade.
Posted By: LMom Re: online math programs - 08/17/08 02:02 AM
I too am unhappy about Rainforest Math being down. I never used it with DS5, but we tried it with DS4 a few weeks ago and he had great time.

Can HeyMath! be used as a curriculum? Hmm, I don't know. It does teach lessons (and very well), it includes practice problems. I would say it does a great job, but I would use it without any other material. It doesn't provide any tracking and you are free to explore lessons in any order.

On the other hand I think it's more than just a supplement. I really like it and I think it's the right choice for us at this time (DS5 works at the 4th grade level math). It's worth looking into. They have 15 day free trial.

Kriston, your son may like HeyMath! as well. They have lots of geometry and you can jump from one lesson to another. I am becoming a big fan of it.

Posted By: Kriston Re: online math programs - 08/17/08 03:40 AM
Thanks, LMom. I appreciate the rec. smile We're going to give our goofy, makeshift calculus for 7yos a try, but if it doesn't pan out, I may be looking for a midyear replacement!
Posted By: scooby Re: online math programs - 08/18/08 06:17 AM
Hello again,
actually my other child is using aleks but think won't fit his needs right now since they start 3rd grade. I would like guidance for a 2nd grade full online math curriculum.
Thank you.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: online math programs - 08/18/08 06:58 AM
What about Calvert math? I've heard good things about it, but haven't actually used it.

EPGY also has K-2 and 3-4 levels.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum