Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Kriston #22636 08/13/08 06:39 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, Kriston, but he knows all that, LOL! And he knows why he needs math (particularly since he loves science so much). I'm going to take the master of none approach and see what happens. I think that's the way to go with him. Thanks.

Of course he does! LOL! I just meant that as an example off the top of my head, since I am not terribly science-y. But there must be something he'd like to know about that you could use as the raw material for doing calculations with.

Kriston
    Kriston #22642 08/13/08 06:58 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    No, I know - I was joking. There are huge calculations which interest him, but not enough to make him actually do them. He did like the Zaccaro book, so we'll work on that one again, too, when camp is over. Thanks!

Having a morning coffee, I found this thread. Do not have time to read beyond first page now, but found something I wanted to underline:
    Originally Posted by Val
    At times maths is fun, but I confess that I stay away from trying to make learning fun overall. Learning is work --- sometimes hard work. I fear that putting too much effort into calling or making it fun risks inspiring kids to shut down when it isn't fun anymore.
    Like someone else pointed out, it can't be all fun, because eventually it is bound to become hard work, and if you have been after fun only, you are in big trouble.

My kids are past that stage, they both understand that it is work, sometimes easier, sometimes more difficult. When they were younger, I did notice two things:
    1. Everything was MUCH MORE FUN when mom or dad were doing it with them, even math.
    2. My kids had only educational games when thay were young. Mostly Jumpstart series. It was fun, and lower level math deals with a lot of computing in a funny, enjoyable way.

Now questions, I know that you understand about fun versus work smile

Ania #22647 08/13/08 08:14 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, Ania! I'll look into both those things. DS is too young to have decided that he hates math, and I'd like to turn that around. smile

I think there's a difference between trying to make life a party all the time and trying to turn around the attitude of a kid who is starting to hate math. Two very different issues.

The former is counterproductive and useless; the latter is a vital educational necessity!

Kriston
    Kriston #22654 08/13/08 09:41 AM
    Absolutely Kriston! You know, I was wondering why he started hating math in the first place. Forgive me if you already posted that. I read the original post when it showed up, but now I don't remember if that was mentioned............

1. Everything was MUCH MORE FUN when mom or dad were doing it with them, even math.

Absolutely! DD8 just liked me to sit next to her even though she was working independently. In fact, I think it was ME who was crying at one point......please, please can we stop doing math now!!!!!!!

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    It was the EPGY Grade 3 online course. frown

It was very repetitive, especially since he had already taken the Elementary Problem Solving I Course through CTY, which covered multi-digit addition and subtraction, carrying, borrowing, multiplication and even long division. I think one of the big problems was that the courses overlapped, and there are a ton of problems that you have to do even if you know the stuff. Also, for a visual-spatial kid, it was static and visually uninteresting. The tutor even said that many young children have a hard time with the "rather dated" presentation of the course. On the other hand, I know many love it, and I would have loved it as a kid. I liked to work in sequence and watch my progression. On the plus side, all that repetition was good for his basic math skills. I think it was a case of the wrong curriculum for the wrong child - but I paid a lot for it and made him finish it. blush He did extremely well in the course, but it was probably a mistake for him.

I think this is the answer, right here, for DS:

Everything was MUCH MORE FUN when mom or dad were doing it with them, even math.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by master of none
    Hard work doesn't mean "not fun". Having young kids, I'm still of the idealistic impression that learning can be fun, even if it's hard.

Me too, M&M! Long live that brand of idealism! smile

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I agree with you, master of none, with respect to my child. Did you see that I did PM you earlier for suggestions?

Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM