Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    shifrbv Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks so much to Sully for posting the new 2015 norms in this thread

2015 MAP Norms

Because of this, I noticed something odd about my DD's fall report given to us by her teacher a month ago. DD is in 2nd grade and got 202 for fall math (98% which checks out with the 2015 norms). This score was down from her spring score last year quite a bit because the teacher did not tell us when MAP would be tested and DD was extremely ill on the day of the test and spent less than 15 minutes. Doesn't matter to me because I know she knows the material, she was just feeling horrible.

My question is, I would expect her growth target to keep her in the 98% band. Instead, when I look at her report, it has her growth target at only 214 which would put her according to the 2015 norms at only the 95%. Quite a bit lower than when she started.

I looked at older DD's report and notice the same. Spring Rit growth targets both put them at substantially lower percentiles than when they started. I don't feel I've seen this on past reports. For older DD it's particularly concerning as she needs 98/99% to be in advanced math at our middle school. Her growth target will drop her out of eligibility for the program. It will also drop her from 98th in the fall to 95th percentile in the spring.

Can someone help me understand what's happening here?

Last edited by shifrbv; 10/09/15 12:13 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I think what you are seeing in the lower growth target is probably regression to the mean. Simply, those who score at the tails of the distribution are statistically expected to score closer to the mean on re-test. (In this case, lower.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM