Thanks so much to Sully for posting the new 2015 norms in this thread

2015 MAP Norms

Because of this, I noticed something odd about my DD's fall report given to us by her teacher a month ago. DD is in 2nd grade and got 202 for fall math (98% which checks out with the 2015 norms). This score was down from her spring score last year quite a bit because the teacher did not tell us when MAP would be tested and DD was extremely ill on the day of the test and spent less than 15 minutes. Doesn't matter to me because I know she knows the material, she was just feeling horrible.

My question is, I would expect her growth target to keep her in the 98% band. Instead, when I look at her report, it has her growth target at only 214 which would put her according to the 2015 norms at only the 95%. Quite a bit lower than when she started.

I looked at older DD's report and notice the same. Spring Rit growth targets both put them at substantially lower percentiles than when they started. I don't feel I've seen this on past reports. For older DD it's particularly concerning as she needs 98/99% to be in advanced math at our middle school. Her growth target will drop her out of eligibility for the program. It will also drop her from 98th in the fall to 95th percentile in the spring.

Can someone help me understand what's happening here?

Last edited by shifrbv; 10/09/15 12:13 PM.