Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    R
    R
    I like the fact AoPS's material is available a la carte... you can take the classes or use the textbooks alone or just use Alcumus for free... That makes it very flexible.

Also, AoPS is now an accredited school not just an enrichment center which might be a plus if you are trying to deal with public schools for advancement.

Last edited by raptor_dad; 09/09/15 10:48 AM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    At a higher level, just about all the kids who have a shot at making the USA national Olympiad team use the most advanced AOPS classes as well.

The RSMs in my area cater to a large clientele who want better math than what the PS offers (gifted programs have been cut for the past several years). They feel that the rigor and the content makes up for what the PS education in math lacks. There are also many kids that go to RSM so that they can excel in the state standardized testing - the scores are used for pullouts in school for math differentiation. There are others that use RSM for remedial math.

The ones going to the national Olympiad teams have other avenues available to them. So, it is entirely possible that the tutors in RSM have not heard about AoPS.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    At a higher level, just about all the kids who have a shot at making the USA national Olympiad team use the most advanced AOPS classes as well.

The RSMs in my area cater to a large clientele who want better math than what the PS offers (gifted programs have been cut for the past several years). They feel that the rigor and the content makes up for what the PS education in math lacks. There are also many kids that go to RSM so that they can excel in the state standardized testing - the scores are used for pullouts in school for math differentiation. There are others that use RSM for remedial math.

The ones going to the national Olympiad teams have other avenues available to them. So, it is entirely possible that the tutors in RSM have not heard about AoPS.
    I agree with your description of RSM. Our RSM branch offers a free class where selected students prepare for and take MOEMS, the Math Olympiad for elementary and middle school. My middle child liked that class and did well on MOEMS. Even if RSM is less focused on gifted math students than AOPS, it still has something to offer them.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Bostonian, If I understand your mail correctly your older two took are taking both AOPS and RSM. Did you find them complementary or duplicative?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by VR00
    Bostonian, If I understand your mail correctly your older two took are taking both AOPS and RSM. Did you find them complementary or duplicative?
    RSM homework provides more practice than the AOPS homework challenge questions, which are more conceptual. My middle child did not want to attend in-person math classes during the summer, so he did an AOPS class instead. Now that his RSM class has started again, he is not doing AOPS.

I'd say try AOPS first. If your child is motivated enough to do the online homework and participate in the online classes, and if he or she can handle the material, RSM may not be necessary.

Our younger children are in grades 4 and 5. The current plan is to have them continue with RSM through high school. We are trusting RSM to get them through the math sequence through AP Calculus and to have them ready for the SAT and SAT math subject test, consistent with the goals they have listed http://www.russianschool.com/our-programs/high-school . RSM should help them get into and stay in top track math classes in "regular" school. Our oldest child is more gifted in math, and although he is also in RSM, we would consider taking him out if he became too busy.

In our town of about 20,000 people, the RSM branch has several hundred students, so it cannot be focused on the most gifted math students, although it still may have something to offer them.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    RSM homework provides more practice than the AOPS homework challenge questions, which are more conceptual. My middle child did not want to attend in-person math classes during the summer, so he did an AOPS class instead. Now that his RSM class has started again, he is not doing AOPS.

I'd say try AOPS first. If your child is motivated enough to do the online homework and participate in the online classes, and if he or she can handle the material, RSM may not be necessary.

Our younger children are in grades 4 and 5. The current plan is to have them continue with RSM through high school. We are trusting RSM to get them through the math sequence through AP Calculus and to have them ready for the SAT and SAT math subject test, consistent with the goals they have listed http://www.russianschool.com/our-programs/high-school . RSM should help them get into and stay in top track math classes in "regular" school. Our oldest child is more gifted in math, and although he is also in RSM, we would consider taking him out if he became too busy.

In our town of about 20,000 people, the RSM branch has several hundred students, so it cannot be focused on the most gifted math students, although it still may have something to offer them.

It seems like RSM is closer to Kumon in concept than AOPS. Can anyone contrast Kumon to RSM for practice?

B
    B
    It seems like RSM is closer to Kumon in concept than AOPS. Can anyone contrast Kumon to RSM for practice?
    Funny you asked. We have never used Kumon, but at a block party this weekend, a parent who had tried Kumon and is now using RSM said that Kumon was better developing speed and accuracy for certain mathematical operations but that RSM developed more conceptual understanding. Perhaps RSM is between Kumon and AOPS in philosophy.

An RSM branch answers the question "What is the difference between the RSM-MetroWest program and Kumon? " at http://www.metrowestschool.com/faq.html . The Kumon answer would of course differ.

Last edited by Bostonian; 09/14/15 12:12 PM. Reason: added link to RSM FAQ
    Val Offline
    I don't know much about the RSM, but I know a bit about Kumon, as I had my eldest tested there when he was 7 or 8.

The elementary-level program is all about memorization and mastery. The kids have to complete long worksheets that repeat the same type of problem over and over (and over...) again, until they can finish one in less than x minutes without errors. Both conditions must be met in order to move forward. Apparently, the idea is to deliberately start kids at a very low level, so that they can "progress quickly," whatever that means in this context (from one set of worksheets to a slightly more difficult set of worksheets?).

Here's a plain language analysis of the Kumon method, written by someone who ran a center for a couple years.

Overall, Kumon is probably an excellent training ground for those desirous of acing high-stakes tests (or their children). I don't think it's right kind of place to develop mathematical talent, though it may well be the sort of place that can help develop compliance.

Last edited by Val; 09/14/15 12:47 PM.
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    We are very familiar with Kumon. Kids have been doing if for last couple of years. In general while he does capture some key aspects I would disagree with Donald Sauter's articulation. Sure it is repetitive and not exciting but it did help my kids understand the fundamentals and address any problem regular school throws at them.

Its weakness is problem solving. From Bostonians feedback it does not seem going to RSM will address that issue.

Val, I do desire my kid to ace-stakes tests. I wager most of those in this board would as well.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Raptor_dad,

Have you been able to use AOPS to skip classes in school?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM