Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Just curious about the mthfr mutations. I have 1 and according to my doctor about 50% of the population does too. Wondering how that figures in here.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Perhaps it would be as well to consider the emotional intensity and mood swings as items to manage regardless of the question of giftedness. Yes, it makes them easier to understand, but how would having a (probably not very valid) IQ change the way you support her on a day to day basis, if the emotionality gets in the way of major life functions? Being gifted, after all, is not license to throw tantrums!

ITA with aeh smile

She's also a perfectionist, and I'm worried she will give up easily if I test her now... but I want to know what I'm dealing with. If she's gifted, I understand the emotional intensity, the mood swings, all of it--if she isn't, well maybe we have some other issues that need addressing.

I'd lean toward *not* testing her now, for two reasons. First reason, imo testing for IQ alone isn't likely to shed any light on why she's having mood swings. A comprehensive eval might help with understanding the root cause, but unless you're seeing other signs that there is something going on with your dd, I suspect at 4.5 most referring drs (ped, etc) would tell you that "She's 4". With valid reason smile My suggestion re getting to the root of what's up is to start simple - keep a journal of behavior that includes time, date, location, what happened before the mood swing etc. Over a few weeks you might see a pattern that can help you think through - is it sleep, is it loud noises, is it diet, is it situational, is she not happy about not getting something she wants, is she in a new situation etc. Then, if you see something that is concerning - such as, whenever she tries to read she screams - you can investigate what to do re getting to the root cause of what's causing the emotional responses.

Second reason - you have doubts your dd will give the test good attention due to her age. Think through what's going to happen if you get back test results and the results don't tell you anything. You're thinking right now that if she tests gifted that would explain the mood swings. Suppose she doesn't come up with a gifted score. Would you then think the mood swings were caused by something else and seek out an answer? Or would you question the results of the test, thinking yes, she's clearly gifted so the test must be wrong? And what if it's wrong.... or right... does any of that ultimately change the fact that she's having mood swings and you want to deal with them?

Best wishes,

polarbear

I
    OP Offline
    I
    All very good points. DD actually goes to bed really late and sleeps in, so it's interesting to hear it working well for others. No clue how we'll get her on a normal 8am schedule when preschool starts in the fall.

I honestly do really want to know where she tests at, but maybe it's still too early? We can get the RIAS for $200 and that's what I'm leaning toward right now since it's so short. But not if it's a useless test, which another thread on here suggests it may be.

Our local schools only have a one day a week pull out program for gifted kids and if she is, I want to focus on doing preschool just to give her something to do and then stick with homeschooling. If she isn't gifted, well... public school might be just fine, and I bet she'll like it. But I seriously can't have her dealing with the school experience I grew up with if she IS gifted. I have to homeschool or start planning on getting her to a better school now, even if it means saving money for that. I think it's really hard to get grade skips too in our district. :-\

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM