Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    My ds 3.9 is smart. Maybe really smart. He's wonderfully imaginative,( but maybe a little too hyper) we have to be careful who we tell about his achievements because people get annoyed, mad, or think we make things up. So last fall we enrolled him in preschool, a 3 to 5 integrated classroom. It's a headstart program, and there's a lot of emphasis on social skills, emotional regulation and school readiness. We love his teacher. He's technically supposed to go again next year, but the teacher says if he's in the class next year he will need individual differentation, the 3 and 4 year olds who aren't pre-k will be doing next year what ds did this year. Also, he's already pretending he doesn't know things because he wants to fit in. And he comes off younger since starting, like whinier and less verbal. At the begining of the year we got a prefect score on the brigance screen and before our winter conference this week they did the 5 year old one to give me a talking point when I approach the school district. He scored in the normal range(77 of 100) for a 5 year old and that was with a fluke day he left out 14 when he easily can count to 30 or higher.
    so we are considering trying for kindergarten. He isn't reading yet, but I have a feeling it will be soon. I almost think if he starts this spring,by the fall he won't have much of anything to learn in kindergarten, and it wouldn't be a good trade off for the idea of putting my Young four year old in an all day academic program. So I don't know what to do but I have to start soon unless were gonna wait till 2016 because there's some kind of deadline for early entrance applications. The preschool is suggesting we call the school and ask them to identify him as gifted.
    really, I just feel like i'm losing my mind, and most people I try to talk to about it think I'm bragging or or that i'm pushing him, but I was that kid who was bored sick and never learned to study or really apply myself and later it led to disaster. I really don't want that for my kid.
    Any advice or other things to consider would be greatly appreciated

I
    I
    Originally Posted by yykrissykk
    The preschool is suggesting we call the school and ask them to identify him as gifted.
    Yes, the first step is to have your child take the screening and tests for gifted identification. When you contact the school, you may wish to keep your statements simple and positive. Do not share your angst with them as it will not help you gain their support.

Tips for identification testing: Article by Aimee Yermish, on Hoagies' Gifted Education Page.

Some parents desire to have additional testing beyond that which a local public school may do. There are lists of testers on Hoagies Gifted Education Page, that is one place to start. Some families find that the Psychology Department at their local University may also offer testing.

Other recent posts about testing include this, and a post comparing the Yermish article on test prep, and Webb article on testing here

Early entrance to kindergarten is one form of acceleration. There are many threads on acceleration, and great articles on the Davidson Database. NAGC position paper here. Lots of good info at the Acceleration Institute.

More responses (focused on prep for phone call to school, parenting gifted preschooler) on your related thread, here.

C
    C
    At 3.x he can take the WPPSI-IV test.

Parents have shown to be pretty good identifiers of giftedness in their kids so I would trust your feelings and take the next steps to have your child evaluated.

G
    G
    (Doing calendar calculation.... You're talking about entering him at age 4.3?) Check the state law for early entrance on the ODE website. I recall that it's virtually impossible in public schools to do early entrance if the child's birthday is after Dec 31. I do not recall if a district is allowed to be more flexible.

Also consider skipping K and starting 1st at age 5.3.

Either way, districts in OH are supposed to use the Iowa Acceleration Scale for early entrance K or skipping a grade, so you will need IQ and achievement before opening the discussion with the district.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    FAQ from Ohio DOE including items on early k:

The website indicates that there is no actual cutoff; they are just supposed to encourage parents to apply 60+ days before the school year start, so that the process is more likely to be completed by the first day of school. There is also no lower limit on age in Ohio, if early entering through GT. Though I would be inclined to give geofizz's suggestion some serious consideration. I also saw a model case study on there for K/1 in a single compacted year.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    G
    Actually,that link is misleading. It just says that if a kid is under 5, then the district still gets funding.

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Early-Learning/Guidance-About-Kindergarten

Originally Posted by elsewhere on the ODE webpage
    A parent may request early admission to kindergarten if the child turns age 5 after the district’s kindergarten entrance date (August 1/Sept. 30) and before January 1. The Ohio Department of Education recommends that districts follow their Academic Acceleration Policy for Advanced Learners in making decisions about early admission.

G
    G
    Also, the model acceleration plans that are there are great. It can help the district see what sorts of things can be considered. Be aware, though, that these forms have changed and don't appear to have been updated on the website. The state now requires something that follows a stripped down IEP format with a description of how the acceleration affects standardized testing. It's not a big deal, and for a most part, I see the new forms as an improvement. However, be aware that the ODE website examples may lead to confusion in the district if you are working with administrators who don't have a lot of experience with acceleration.

Also, realize that the 60 days referred to in that link are 60 days during the school year when staff are present. That's April 1 or so.

C
    C
    I was that kid who was bored sick and never learned to study or really apply myself and later it led to disaster.

Hey! I was that kid too! (and I don't want that for my kids either).

Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    The state board's model acceleration policy has a broken link but is still the policy. There's a copy of it in the oagc website. My local school board's policy is nearly identical and requires evaluation using the ias if the child is referred by a teacher in the district preschool teacher psychologist or pediatrician. Even with a later birthday.

I called the school and they told me no, based on the old referal form that they're still using but aren't supposed to be. Special services is handing early entrance since they cut the gis positions when the levy failed. luckily I talked to this great sympathetic secretary who was listening and taking notes and managing the special services coordinator for me, so I got to tell her where it says different in the school board policy and then it was just a matter of coming to pick up forms.

We also talked to the school psychologist who will do the testing, and she was nice and knew where we were coming from but basically said that if he's advanced enough to score that well the the school will probably never really be able to meet his needs.

She also said they do a wppsi and a wiat, but when I looked it up the wiat you have to be four so hopefully that means we wait to test till after the beginning of may.

I
    I
    She also said they do a wppsi and a wiat, but when I looked it up the wiat you have to be four so hopefully that means we wait to test till after the beginning of may.
    You may wish to contact the school in a positive manner and specifically request the test administration to be scheduled within a week after your child's 4th birthday. Doing so in writing, such as by e-mail, is generally recommended, as it is often helpful to have a "paper trail" of documentation for advocacy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM