Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    U
    I wonder if perhaps it's because I find getting information orally so slow and painful compared to taking it in myself reading, that I find it astoundingly hard to stay focused on someone talking, even if they are quite interesting? It's just sooooooooo sloooooooow.

God, yes. Totally this.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I wonder if perhaps it's because I find getting information orally so slow and painful compared to taking it in myself reading, that I find it astoundingly hard to stay focused on someone talking, even if they are quite interesting? It's just sooooooooo sloooooooow.

God, yes. Totally this.

DD12 said this was why she hates books on tape and being read to in class... because people just read toooo slowly. Everyone except for me, apparently. She loves when I read to her because I'm the only person who reads fast enough.

U
    U
    I struggled with this in college. I would like to speed everyone up, like Vi Hart does in her videos (I love her videos!) Rapid assimilation of verbal information is by far my most "out there" strength. DH can outdo me in almost all areas, but I probably read 3X as fast as he does. I have been told by others that I read aloud too fast, but even so, my DD no longer wanted to be read to by age 6 because she preferred the faster speed of reading alone.

B
    B
    I struggled with this in college. I would like to speed everyone up, like Vi Hart does in her videos (I love her videos!) Rapid assimilation of verbal information is by far my most "out there" strength. DH can outdo me in almost all areas, but I probably read 3X as fast as he does. I have been told by others that I read aloud too fast, but even so, my DD no longer wanted to be read to by age 6 because she preferred the faster speed of reading alone.
    This is one of the reasons I hate those news video's (and TV news) that have proliferated over the net. I can read the relevant information is 1/4 of the time it takes to impart the same info in a video format.

Personally, books on tape and podcast put me to sleep. A lot of my friends love them and don't understand. I would much prefer to simple read the information.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
    This is one of the reasons I hate those news video's (and TV news) that have proliferated over the net. I can read the relevant information is 1/4 of the time it takes to impart the same info in a video format.

I don't have the same problem with the speed of verbal information (maybe because I like the social aspect), but I reject TV news in part because they just don't cover anything in the kind of depth I want. It's news-lite. Print journalism presents far more information, which is easy to augment with video or other visual aids when you're getting your print journalism online.

Also, sensationalism bias.

U
    U
    I will watch a good movie or TV show, of course, but I don't watch talking heads. I can't even watch TED talks. I will listen to podcasts or books on tape, but must do something else at the same time. If I try to just sit and listen, I am likely to fall asleep.

I am always wishing for a transcript when people post videos of things they want me to see. Why would I take all that time???

Jeez, I sound weird.

U
    U
    I should say, I don't need to speed people up in back and forth conversation (unless they monopolize!), but lectures, speeches, some types of meetings, or things where someone talks solo drive me mad.

P
    P
    I will watch a good movie or TV show, of course, but I don't watch talking heads. I can't even watch TED talks. I will listen to podcasts or books on tape, but must do something else at the same time. If I try to just sit and listen, I am likely to fall asleep.

I am always wishing for a transcript when people post videos of things they want me to see. Why would I take all that time???

Jeez, I sound weird.

My kind of weird! And I can't count the number of times I've followed an interesting-looking link only to find it's a video - and fooey on that.

Last edited by MichelleC; 02/18/15 07:11 AM.
    T
    T

Jeez, I sound weird.

I am weirder.

I had this reputation In law school for being the super weird kid that would fall asleep in class all the time. Once I even fell off the chair with a loud crash - though that was from jiggling so desperately on my chair trying to keep myself awake, and that was shortly before finals,with everyone else listening with desperate attention. No one believed me, and the story kept being told that I fell off the chair as I fell asleep.
    I also drove some people mad with my constant running in and out of the library. I had such a hard time focusing when sitting down.
    And as if I hadn't done enough to ruin my reputation, I run into a brick wall during the all important finals and realize I am starting to panic. So I put my head on my arms trying to calm myself and the next thing I know is the proctor shaking my shoulder and asking whether I was alright. I had to get up and do some stretches, but could focus on my paper after that. So after that I was known as the absolute super nutso who fell asleep during finals.
    Years after leaving that school, I'd still meet people who did not know me but had watched me jiggle or sleep or crash or had heard of me doing so. They'd go "that was you?!" (guess I looked far to normal and plain to be so weird).
    A few even had the gall to ask me outright whether I ever made it through finals and how I did. I kinda enjoy shutting them up with the answer.

Last edited by Tigerle; 02/18/15 07:29 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Ditto on the video transcript thing. Also, I almost got kicked out of the GREs because I was wiggling so much the person next to me complained to the proctor.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM