Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    Portia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Does anyone know if a class taken at the local community college is better received by the University admissions board than an AP course credit? Vice-versa? Both about the same? Is there a life expectancy of an AP credit? I believe college classes are around 7 years if I am not mistaken.

Thanks!

Last edited by Portia; 03/21/15 02:39 PM.
    Hmmm-- can you maximize A by enrolling in a summer course or two and transferring those dual enrollment credits somehow onto the local flagship transcript?

The other advantage that has (though this would presumably only be true at the state flagships where there is reciprocity with your CC) is that it provides a GPA cushion for the first term on-campus, when many kids (even gifties) experience adjustment issues, and lower grades than at other times.

Case B-- hmmm. I can't really speak to that with anything like authority, but I know that others on the forum probably can. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    What is your goal? Getting into a top tier school or getting into the state flagship? Getting the kid through H.S. with his spirit intact?

I ask because if the goal is getting into the 'best' school and you are playing the game to get the highest GPA you want to take as many AP & honors classes as you can take and gets A's in them. Community College classes (at least in my state) don't get you the +1 GPA point.

If you are looking what will best challenge your student you need to look at your school and your community college. What is offered and what reputation both have. At our H.S. the H.S. honors & AP classes are more rigorous and difficult than the 'equivalent' community college classes in my area. The AP classes (in my area) are more likely to have my son's intellectual peers.

On the other hand taking classes at a local Community College can be an excellent way to go for some students or for classes not offered at the High School. Or if you want to add more classes in the summer. And AP classes aren't for all kids, many AP classes in my area are intense, with huge homework demands, and a lot of competition for the top scores. They can be more stressful and more work than a typical college class. And some students like my son are so ready to be out of the nit picky H.S. class environment and ready for college style classes.

I am a bit frustrated that we don't have a dual program at our local community because I think it might be a good fit for my DS who is right now a sophomore in H.S. We might still look at him taking one or two classes at the community college. We looked into my son taking Japanese at the local CC for a while and I still might suggest that route for one class his senior year. DS is a sophomore and right now I'm taking things one year at a time, and at this point in the year it's looking likely he will get into AP Calculus and one of the AP Sciences next year so we will probably stick with that.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/16/15 10:46 PM.
    N
    N
    Bluemagic and HK gave you good advice. It depends upon the CC. Around here, I'm pretty sure my 5th grader could pass most courses at the CC. In other areas of the country, there are some very good CCs.

When my middle kid needed to take Chemistry over the summer to make her HS schedule work, our HS did not recognize the local CC course for credit - they recognized a local, highly regarded private school summer Chemistry course.

Most kids at our HS who run out of courses (mainly in math) go to local 4 year colleges for courses. We are fortunate that there are six of those within about 3 or 4 miles of the HS.

Many colleges do not recognize the CC credits. The quality and content of the courses is too varied from CC to CC for colleges to deem which courses are worthy of credit. AP courses, however, are supposed to cover certain material and are standardized (to a degree). If the kid takes the AP exam, his score gives the colleges a way to compare him to every other kid who took the exam.

I think AP scores are good for five years, but you should find that information on the College Board website. Even if college courses are good for 10 years, I don't see the need to credit a kid for something he took when he was eight.

I
    I
    It is wise to check the website of the college/university which your child plans to apply to, and it sounds as though you may have done that. You may want to print the admissions criteria each semester and compare for changes, as the criteria may change over time.

In general
    - state universities may grant more credits and/or advanced standing,
    - private colleges/universities may grant fewer credits and/or advanced standing,
    - highly selective colleges/universities may not grant any credit or advanced standing although for admissions they may look favorably upon the student who has earned advanced credits as this student has demonstrated successful learning under a variety of circumstances and/or educational environments. That said, over the years several parents have cautioned that earning college credits may, in some cases, prevent a student from entering a college as a Freshman when it is their desire to enter as a Freshman. Rather they may be given Transfer Student status.

There is no credit for taking an AP course per se. Rather, the score from having taken an AP exam is typically translated into the number of credits which would be granted by a particular institution. A student may take an AP exam whether they took the corresponding AP course or studied another way such as homeschool.

College Board CLEP exams (College Level Exam Program) provide another cost-effective means of gaining college credits and/or advanced standing.

Students not interested in exams are often advised to earn actual college credits: the grade earned and the credits earned in the course are not subject to a second step confirmation such as a standardized exam. Davidson THINK Summer Institute is one way for students to earn college credits.

It is possible to maximize college credits earned by utilizing a combination of strategies.

In that case, dual enrollment credits (preferably TAUGHT at the high school with that higher-level cohort of fellow classmates-- these may be labeled "honors" "AP" or something else entirely) seem preferable by far.

Many universities outside of the top tier, even, have policies that are increasingly hostile to AP credits. It can also change without warning-- so if you go that route, there's no assurance whatsoever that Miskatonic U (er-- or whatever college) will still accept a 5 on the Miscellany Studies AP exam three years hence.

So I wouldn't necessarily assume that a 4 on an AP exam will result in that desirable outcome of not repeating coursework later, even if it is appropriate now (which is why DD took AP courses, to be sure).

CLEP is a much surer thing, but for those, a study guide will be recommended, since there isn't a "course" that serves as preparation for the exam. I'll also warn you that AP coursework comes in several functional varieties-- that which serves as a year of intensive test prep (ick!), that which teaches the subject well and at a brisk pace (YAY!!), and that which piles on ENORMOUS amount of work, none of it all that difficult, but enough to make the Tiger families feel smug about that extra GPA point, and justified in whipping their children through 18 hour days...(double ick).

We've seen examples of all three-- and in the same school, no less.

Dual enrollment AP coursework tends to be of the middle variety since students have to pass assessments which are aimed at the COLLEGE COURSE. My DD's exams for her dual enrollment courses are kept on file by the college which issued the credits, and those exams were, similarly, constructed by the college faculty, not by her high school teacher(s) of record. Ergo, I have a fair degree of confidence that those courses were "real" in terms of rigor and depth. The hybridization also meant that there was no requirement for my DD to sit the AP exam that went with the class (that is a requirement for some schools, who definitely pressure students to sit those exams-- but it varies in intensity), and that when applying to colleges, they saw "AP" on her transcripts, not "blah-blah course."

In some ways that was a perfect happy medium. I hope that something similar is available for you. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Well, if you really want to look down the road… many graduate programs and medical programs do not count AP courses for the prerequisites. So if Med school A requires Physics your DC may wind up taking it senior year despite taking it in high school and passing the AP exam. The phrasing used by the western interstate medical school exchange program is "Undergraduate or post/baccalaureate required courses must be completed at a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting body". I still think that AP (or community college) courses are a good choice, just be prepared that the course work may still need to be retaken.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Ahhh - thanks HK.

Brilliantcp - Hmmm - this is interesting. Back in the day, the AP course was accepted at colleges a bit more frequently than today. When accepted, I was given a 4 hour credit for say, Chemistry. I was not given a grade, just the credit. So grad schools were ok with the Chemistry - despite it being an AP. None of the med schools at that time (dental schools or vet schools either) required retaking Chemistry. Has this changed in the past 20 years?

In my day (early 80s for those interested), sure you got credit for Chem with the AP score..but it was Chem for the minions. There was a different course that was required of Chem majors, or other science majors or pre-med kids. So if you were a Psychology major you were golden. Chemistry AP counted toward the general requirement for 9 hours of science but if you were a biology major it was just 3 hours of elective science and you took Chem for science majors. BUT that doesn't mean your AP class wasted your time. You were well prepared for the Chem for science majors class and some other kid without that AP class behind him/her might have had to take the class twice.

Last edited by Cookie; 01/17/15 06:23 PM.
    And where do MOOCs fit, if at all, here? Thanks.

I
    I
    For MOOCs, you may wish to see the website of the college/university being applied to, especially admissions and transfers, as well as the website of the MOOC, including the syllabus of the specific course(s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM