Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Aeh, you certainly know a lot about testing! Do you have a good resource that explains what each category is testing for? The psychologist briefly explained it to me but I didn't quite catch everything, and my toddler was dividing my attention. I have never thought my ds7 was verbally gifted, so I didn't expect a high score in that area. He was a very early talker and has always understood the mechanics of language well, but is not overly perceptive of things that are not explicitly stated, if that makes sense. Yes, his picture concepts score was 12. I got the results in the mail today.
    Similarities 12
    Vocabulary 13
    Comprehension 10
    VCI 108

Block design 17
    Picture concepts 12
    Matrix reasoning 19
    PRI 137

Digit span 19
    Letter number sequencing 18
    WRI 148

Coding 12
    Symbol search 12
    PS 112

FSIQ 135
    The psychologist did not calculate extended subtest scores. This psychologist is not super familiar with gifted children, but I would have had to travel and pay 10x as much for testing if I wanted one who was.

I am interested in getting one of the achievement tests that DYS accepts but does a psychologist have to administer it? Or is there a cheaper option? Paying a another $375 isn't really in the budget. He takes a yearly CAT test to satisfy the state homeschool requirements but has never taken another achievement test. I do feel confident that I could create a portfolio that DYS would accept, mostly using video of him explaining/teaching math concepts, which he does for a class he takes anyway. Students present weekly on any topic they want and he often chooses to explain math concepts, none of which his classmates understand, ha ha.

Thanks for all the replies - this is helpful.

Not expert in testing, but I would be curious to see what his score would be using the extended norms. It might bump the PRI score. Also, the picture concept score seems off to me. Someone might know this better than me, but could there be a possible vision issue? Fantastic working memory!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Sunshinemama5
    Do you have a good resource that explains what each category is testing for?
    Many families find the information on indexes and subtests at wrightslaw helpful: http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/tests_measurements.html

Also this Pearson document, with a quick summary of indexes and subtests on pages 9-12:
    http://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/Products/Wechsler/Wechsler_GAI.pdf

Another Pearson document easily found online discusses clinical interpretation and looks in detail at FSIQ, Indexes, Subtests, Items, and Task Components:

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by 1111
    Not expert in testing, but I would be curious to see what his score would be using the extended norms. It might bump the PRI score. Also, the picture concept score seems off to me. Someone might know this better than me, but could there be a possible vision issue? Fantastic working memory!

I strongly doubt there is a vision issue. He has never had difficulty with reading, writing, or depth perception, or learning age appropriate skills that require normal vision. If I understand the picture concepts subtest correctly, I think he probably didn't recognize many of the objects and therefore could not identify which objects had common characteristics. I understand picture concepts to be essentially analogies but in pictures rather than words? That goes along with his lower verbal scores. He is not perceptive or observant of things going on around him that he is not interested in, unless he is explicitly taught, so objects that may be common to most people are not necessarily familiar to him because he hasn't noticed or thought about them in everyday life. His area of giftedness is very specifically math, and at this point it looks like that will head toward physics and (mechanical or computer) engineering.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Sunshinemama5
    Aeh, you certainly know a lot about testing! Do you have a good resource that explains what each category is testing for?
    The links that have been posted should have good explanations in them. There are also brief descriptions in the manuals, which should be very similar to any presentation posted by Pearson. I'm afraid my own resource is the one inside my head, after years of writing evals!
    I am interested in getting one of the achievement tests that DYS accepts but does a psychologist have to administer it? Or is there a cheaper option?
    An educational diagnostician (usually certified as a special education teacher) can also administer and interpret achievement tests.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by 1111
    I mentioned uppost that picture concepts has significant verbal loading on it, and may reflect his average verbal reasoning, in this case. Vision issues should have affected block design as well.

With only one 19, and an index score only in the 130s, the extended norms are not indicated, and probably would not raise the PRI enough to hit DYS-level anyway. I agree that the PRI is probably a low estimate, though, and would think about re-testing in two years.

U
    U
    His reading comprehension level per the CAT test when he was 6 years old was 5th grade, and he reads books on about a 5th-6th grade level now and understands what he reads.

I'm no expert, but his verbal scores seem surprisingly low if this is the case. The above sentence approximately describes my DD's verbal capacities at your son's age and her verbal score was in the high 130s. He certainly sounds verbally gifted to some degree or another if he was comprehending 5th grade books at age 6. Could there be another issue at play here?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    His reading comprehension level per the CAT test when he was 6 years old was 5th grade, and he reads books on about a 5th-6th grade level now and understands what he reads.

I'm no expert, but his verbal scores seem surprisingly low if this is the case. The above sentence approximately describes my DD's verbal capacities at your son's age and her verbal score was in the high 130s. He certainly sounds verbally gifted to some degree or another if he was comprehending 5th grade books at age 6. Could there be another issue at play here?
    Actually, this may sound surprising, but, based on the linking studies, the predicted grade equivalent on the WIAT-III reading comprehension subtest for a seven-year-old with a PRI of 137 is exactly 5th grade (keeping all caveats about grade equivalents in mind). This is equivalent to a standard score in the High Average/Above Average range (117). Using the PRI as the cognitive measure would generally be done in situations like this, where the VCI is significantly lower.

I would still keep an eye on the development of verbal abilities, though, moving forward.

U
    U
    So in other words, you might expect a high reading level based on the PRI even without a high VCI? Interesting. I guess I don't get it, but maybe it's because VCI measures verbal abilities beyond reading/comprehension? I was surprised that the Vocab score for this child was what it was if he is reading significantly above grade level.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It's both because VCI measures verbal reasoning beyond reading and reading comprehension, and because reading comprehension also involves abstract reasoning skills captured by the PRI. As multiple factors lead into reading comprehension, one can use strengths in one factor to compensate for weaknesses in another.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM