Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, cognitive dissonance is particularly painful for some people. And for other people (or in other circumstances for the same people), there are "truths" that serve important functions for them, for the sake of which objective data may be bent quite significantly.

To your solution: in our house, our twist is the question, "In what way is this true for the other person?" Works for sibling quarrels, too!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Originally Posted by Mom2Two
    I use to care about this a lot. I think it comes from feeling like your kid isn't getting the help he/she needs to flourish.

However, I've realized that there are kids who are in the top 10% and are struggling in their schools because they aren't getting what they need either. So, they feel the frustration too. I know a lot of 125ish IQ kids who are bored in class and their parents are frustrated.

When I hear, "oh my kid or grandkid is so smart" I think, they probably are. I consider PG or HG just to be an entirely different ballgame that isn't even comprehensible except by a few.

Exactly. smile

I find that even though our daughter is very far outside even that norm, we as parents have considerable common ground with many parents.

Yes, there are some unique things about raising a child who is very far from the norm even among gifted/identified 'gt' kids. I save most of that stuff for here-- or, when I get the opportunity, for when I run into another parent who has (clearly-- and truly, it IS pretty obvious when you meet those parents) a HG/HG+ child. They aren't the parents bragging on their kids. They are the ones trying NOT to, and saying little, maybe looking a bit uncomfy about discussions of milestones, etc.

They light up when they realize that you're a kindred spirit-- they don't look sulky, but PLEASED to have found you. I started realizing that my DD was "more than just MG" when I learned that even most of them can't identify with some of the things that we live with. The maladaptive coping that kids learn at high LOG is really fearsome-- and unusual. Parents definitely need support for those things, and that is a lot of what happens in a place like this.

One thing that I've learned about IRL versus on-line support groups is that the on-line variety in a message board format tends to draw those who really do NOT have good luck finding true peers for support in IRL support groups. In other words-- those who are isolated for some reason and have NO real support group, or those who are at the very ends of the distribution. Our experiences are often extraordinary even among the larger cohort. IRL support groups tend to match the center of the distribution quite a bit better-- but that may make them less of a good fit for the needs of those at the tails of the distribution.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    self consistency
    Some may say that this is a sign of a very highly evolved individual. smile Being able to edit, clarify, provide additional context, and/or delete posts is a benefit of this forum.

No reason worrying about somebody else's level of self consistency that doesn't meet mine. There are probably people who find my required level of consistency totally lacking as well.
    Looked at another way, seeking clarification may help individuals examine their beliefs, what informed them, and clarify their view. This can sometimes help a person leap ahead light years in their advocacy.

After I am no longer worrying about said person or group, I can move on to the more pragmatic actions.
    Agreed. And yet a gifted forum is, for many individuals, their only peek into the gifted community; The impressions they form in reading a gifted forum may linger, grow, and form policy and practice. For example, an unchallenged misconception that PG kids tend to score average on IQ tests may lead to a corollary based on the inverse: that an average score on an IQ test tends to indicate a child is profoundly gifted. For this reason, some may find it pragmatic, even necessary, to ask/probe/seek clarification.

This brings to mind the recent thread on The Overvalued Child.

I will agree with the concern re consistency/accuracy being an issue. By way of analogy: My son is allergic to nuts and peanuts and used to be allergic to milk and eggs. When folks in the allergy community say "allergic" they don't mean "I hypothesize that my child's behavior will improve if I remove X from his diet." They mean "my child will have to be injected with epinephrin if he is exposed to X, and he could still die anyway."

There are many people with food-related hypotheses, and who am I to say they are wrong? I have no idea. However, as a short cut to explain why they need everybody else to follow their child's food rules - they say "my child is allergic." Well - no, your child isn't. They are sensitive, or have a bad reaction, or say whatever you want. Maybe it is even an exquisite sensitivity, and if so you have my sincere sympathy. I know it's hard.

But when 100 people say "my child is allergic" and they aren't, it virtually mutes my plea - "My child is allergic to milk and nuts. Please don't give him any of the rocky road ice cream." Instead, people wait until my back is turned and slip him a little taste because "he deserves a little bit at least, even if he is allergic." And then they truthfully say, "How were we supposed to know he was SO allergic he'd get that sick, that fast." Because honestly, the way people toss around the word "allergic," there really was no way they could know. [[Yes - this really happened to us. DS was fine after a trip to urgent care and meds and a very bad experience.]]

My point is - misuse or inconsistency is dangerous when it mutes people who need to use a word to mean what they say. And there's no other way to get the point across without going on and on and sounding like a crazy person. And then you're really muted anyway.

This is why I think the HG/PG community needs to abandon the word "gifted" and exclusively use the word "asynchronous." Better still, give it a three-letter acronym - "asynchronous development syndrome" = ADS.

Imagine: "My child has ADS. Sure - he has some challenges, but there's a plus side, too. And it's important we all stay focused on that." Now we're talking their language!!

I
    I
    parents of a HG/HG+ child. They aren't the parents bragging on their kids. They are the ones trying NOT to, and saying little, maybe looking a bit uncomfy about discussions of milestones, etc.

They light up when they realize that you're a kindred spirit-- they don't look sulky, but PLEASED to have found you.
    Some may say that what parents share may depend upon their previous lived experiences, their awareness of gifted issues, their childrens' recent events (good news to share vs. dilemma to solve), the level of trust in those with whom they are communicating, and whether they do perceive the other as a kindred spirit.

As in unrequited love, it is entirely possible for one party to believe they've found a kindred spirit, and for another party to believe otherwise. As with other "credentialing", some may attribute value to IQ test scores... the absence of which does not diminish the person but may, in some minds, invalidate the use of certain designations such as HG, HG+, PG... or fail to convince a parent that they've found a kindred spirit.

I
    I
    This is why I think the HG/PG community needs to abandon the word "gifted" and exclusively use the word "asynchronous." Better still, give it a three-letter acronym - "asynchronous development syndrome" = ADS.

Imagine: "My child has ADS. Sure - he has some challenges, but there's a plus side, too. And it's important we all stay focused on that." Now we're talking their language!!
    This has my support because being "asynchronous" does not sound like something to be grasped at. There is something about the word "gifted" which causes some people to correlate it with intrinsic worth... inspiring a condition of coveting it... and a sense of status, that more of it must be better.

Precisely. And a kid with Ads inherently cannot be "highly gifted, but totally normal in every other way." Which is what the graspy folks always want to say about their "highly gifted" kids.

Important note to parents with "ADS" kids who are magnificently well-adjusted: Please don't think I'm saying your kids aren't HG/PG. In fact, I'm only admiring the hard work I know you and your kids did to achieve that.

I
    I
    "highly gifted, but totally normal in every other way." Which is what the graspy folks always want to say about their "highly gifted" kids.
    I don't see anything in the definitions of asynchronous development that precludes a child being several years ahead in academic/intellectual areas, and spot-on average developmental milestones in other areas such as social, emotional, motor/athletic. ETA: My bad, not mentioning emotional intensity... due to being largely familiar with seeing it channeled for good.

In my own experience, "graspy folks" need their child to be #1, regardless the academic dishonesty, undermining, or withholding of information it may take to eliminate any who might be perceived as competition.

Important note to parents with "ADS" kids who are magnificently well-adjusted: Please don't think I'm saying your kids aren't HG/PG. In fact, I'm only admiring the hard work I know you and your kids did to achieve that.
    smile

Originally Posted by "If" by Rudyard Kipling
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Source: A Choice of Kipling's Verse (1943)

Last edited by indigo; 11/29/14 11:58 AM. Reason: acknowledge emotional intensity
    T
    T
    Indigo, haven't you ever encountered those folks? You surely live a more sheltered existence than me. I'd go hunt some examples down for you, but it's too depressing. You'll have to take my word for it that real life and the internet are both littered with people saying "they're not gifted, they're just smart". And the following reasoning is just a nonsensical as that statement.

Yeah-- "Wow, we had no idea..." is truly music to our ears. It means that we've done a good job making sure that DD is somewhat cushioned from the expectations of a world that is entirely out of step with her development in many ways.

That wouldn't be possible at all, however, if she were a different child, or if we didn't (all of us-- her too) work as hard as we do at it.

By "kindred spirit" I'm definitely not talking about assuming that another party is a soulmate or anything. I'm referring quite specifically to certain "tells" of an unusual condition that often garners nothing but ostracism/envy/derision from the community at large.

I have two different (and unrelated) experiences there as a parent, and I stand by my assertion that you can tell who the other parents are-- there are things that they do (or do not do) which are often subtle indicators reflecting their lives as "other" with respect to other parents.

To go with suevv's analogy, these are the families with smartphones out, who read EVERY label in a grocery store-- and even read duplicate labels on two identical cans of tomatoes before placing them into the basket. Their kids wear fanny packs or cross-body "purses" even as little kids, and they have medic-alert bracelets on. Then there are the people with "wheat allergy" who eat the pumpkin out of the pie shell, or "just take the bun off" of a burger while they tell everyone within earshot about how amazing their chiropractor is with their food allergies (always plural). The latter, I just grit my teeth and ignore, much as it pains me... and the former, I smile at with a great deal of sympathy-- because I know just how hard life is for them. If they smile back, or look particularly defeated, I might even strike up a conversation. Because I already know.

Same with the hyper-energetic 3yo at the park who is talking 100mph and asking why-why-why-why questions, peppered with observations about EVERYTHING, many of them insightful in the extreme, and a preference for older kids and adults. That's a "tell" for a gifted child. The parental exhaustion and attempts to get her child to be quiet about unusual topics of interest... well, I know that look, too. smile

These are not generally parents who are trying to seek attention. Usually, they are tired and attempting to go under the radar of those around them, having learned that most of the world is completely out of step with their day to day reality. They are sometimes very lonely.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM